Notices

Interesting night at work

Old 12-05-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting night at work

Right out of the gate one of my co-workers, one who I would actually call a friend as we've hung out outside of work both drinking and doing non-drinking activities, asked me "Are you hungover?" No, why? Do I look hungover? Why would you ask that? Got a little defensive. Of course, looking at my history that was not at all a strange question to ask. Most days I'd have had to say "yes, I think I'm dying."

Then one of my managers, who I've also hung out with a good bit outside of work, even took a mini-vacation together, commented on the fact that I have tomorrow night off. "Is Vodka-Scott going to come out?"

"Vodka-Scott" is a pseudo-humorous characterization of me when I'm drinking vodka. I'm normally pretty mild-mannered and laid back, but add vodka and I get a little bit lippier, quippier, almost a different person. I said "no, I'm trying to be good." Don't want to get into the trying to quit discussion. So he replies, "Oh, so just Whisky-Scott, then." *shrug* ha ha. I let it go at that.

These people know me too well. In the past all of that would have been spot on. I guess now that's just what's expected of me.

Don't know what the point of this post is. I suppose I'm just feeling a little vulnerable, and since I only have 2 weeks of sobriety I'm not in much of a position to challenge others' expectations that if I'm not at work I'm probably drunk.

Well, just wanted to vent. Hope everyone's well and sober!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are doing great! After awhile the silly comments will stop. There of been a handful of things where I did not sleep very well the night before. I was so worried that I might've looked hungover because of the bags under my eyes. Luckily nobody asked but even if they did I would've probably said nope not hungover. It's that inner confidence that means the most.

Had I been drinking and someone asked I probably would gave cried in my car at my lunch break or alone in my office.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
You are doing great! After awhile the silly comments will stop. There of been a handful of things where I did not sleep very well the night before. I was so worried that I might've looked hungover because of the bags under my eyes. Luckily nobody asked but even if they did I would've probably said nope not hungover. It's that inner confidence that means the most.

Had I been drinking and someone asked I probably would gave cried in my car at my lunch break or alone in my office.
Wow! That was full of typos. I used voice recognition on the iPad. I hope you can translate!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your sobriety "glow" will eventually make them forget your past.

Keep trucking! Keep shinning and have plenty of Sober-Scott!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ha ha! No worries, I got the gist of it.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with patman & melinda

In time ppl will realise your sober now you always have us friend
Old 12-05-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was the neighbourhood bum/drunk - in time I turned that reputation around - you will too SDH

D
Old 12-05-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Two weeks is amazing SDH, probably a harder thing to go through than a lot of people in our parts of the world have to experience. I totally understand the vulnerability but definitely you should also be very proud of what you have done so far.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i still go to old pub hangout... just not 7 days a week... i drink soda(seltzer, sparkling water) i am very up beat about my sobriety.. i just don't hang around till midnite anymore. ev one knows i am not drinking, and i think i show to my peeps that my life is just as good if not better sober than it was drinking. the positive life style will come through as your confidence grows. it may even turn into inspiration for others. keep up the good work.. just remember, you are doing this for yourself... don't worry about what others think... they will in time, have no choice but to come to conclusion of the truth... you just beat them to it..
Old 12-05-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was a joke - or recommendation - that was told to me when I was heading to Idaho for a spell. If you go fishing with a mormon always make sure there are two of them at all times. Cause if there is only one he will drink all your beer.

It turns out there was a joke - recommendation - around my parts here. If you invite Brain, hide your beer, or get an extra case.

I understand what it's like to be known as the guy who drank too much. The little jabs over time, ha-ha I get it out loud, but F you in my mind.

Over time you will no longer hear such things. Don't doubt that it will be brought up out of the blue in a year or so. Those 'remember when' kind of comments. Just be glad and proud of yourself that it 'NO LONGER APPLIES".

Think of it like an old p.o.s. car being stripped down and rebuilt. New motor and paint job - new car. At first people will say that was THAT car? Do you still need to add a quart of oil with every tank of gas? Nope. People who never saw the old car will say, Nice car. And over time people who new the old car will forget about it and just think, "nice car." Just keep on rebuilding and in time they will forget.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice job on two weeks! I read something like this yesterday:

"When you feel good you look good."

All in good time my friend. You'll get there. Keep at it. It's worth it.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

They'll work it out eventually and you can enjoy watching their expectations change.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks everyone for the great and sympathetic replies!

I know I can't afford to be overly sensitive about all of this, wouldn't want it to set me off. As in so many other situations "grin and bear it" is definitely the way to go. If anything it just gives me another thing to consider when I feel like going for that first drink, I don't want to prove that all that talk about me is right. Fuel for the fire!

Success is the best revenge! Not that I'm the vengeful sort or anything...
Old 12-05-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, stay on course and they will see the changes. Don't allow their negative comments to drag you down.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Vodka Scott can fade into the background... keep up your sobriety. Focus on you and your plan, and try to let what others think and say roll off your back In time, it'll all pass over and you'll be free!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ah yes, it take time doesn't it? Just keep holding your head high and stay on your sober course. It's great that you have a few weeks behind you; that means you are serious about your sobriety and believe that it is worth it
Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In time they will call you "Sober Scott."

Won't that be cool!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"Sober Scott" definitely sounds better than "Vodka Scott" to me. I think I'm going to shoot for simply "Scott", though. Or maybe "Awesome Scott"...well, I'm in New England, so "Wicked Cool Scott" might be appropriate. The options are limitless!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Look out, here comes Saint Scott . Don't worry, I'm still Captain So-Co in spirit only.

Bunnez
Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Might be I'm feeling a little long in the tooth these days.
Having said that, I do enjoy the peace and serenity these days of a possible bite to eat and maybe a movie for my wild night out on Friday and Saturday nights.

Having hang overs is something I really don't miss much