Notices

How long did it take you to do the 12 steps?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did it take you to do the 12 steps?

I realize a lot of you didn't do the 12 steps of AA and thats fine, but for those that did I'm curious how long it took you.

If you want to be detailed and tell how long you spent on each step that would be great. What was the hardest step? What was the most rewarding step?

Thanks,

-Serper
Old 12-04-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I took the first 9 in 4 months, but have amends that still need done face to face (overseas, gotta get money together to go do em), but "willing" satisfies the admonition.

Meanwhile it's into steps ten,eleven and twelve and they are for the rest of my life.

First 3 are becoming willing, 4-9 are how you do it and 10,11,12 are how you keep it done.

Simple as that
Old 12-05-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on step 4. Step one I didn't really begin in earnest until about 6 months into the program.

Step one then took a couple of months. Two and three were pretty quick. Now I'm chipping away on four....

I'm at 11 months in this time around so I've been at the steps maybe 5 months now.

It's worth noting the first two times in AA I didn't work the steps and never made it past five months sober.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
I started the steps a couple months after I plugged the jug. I did it first time with a group of all alcoholics but was not “official” AA as it was a spinoff and had rules like if you drink, miss 2meetings etc you’re out. It was aimed to be complete in 26 weeks and some last a couple weeks longer.
Doing the steps is not time orientated but thoroughness is desired. Also it’s not deemed to be done only once, I have friends with over 40 years continuing them at their own comfortable pace.
It’s very surprising how much has been inserted into the literature since the last time we read it.

BE WELL
Old 12-05-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

my sponsor guides people through the steps 3 times in the first year, there's always more to uncover.....

this helps us to help others as soon as we get through those steps the third time....

it's about giving back and being there for the new person.....
Old 12-05-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm working step one now. In depth for the first time. And I am 69 days in

Jennifer
Old 12-05-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you may also want to check in with the 12 step support forum...

Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first 8 and part of 9 took me from 9 months to almost a year. 9 will take awhile longer and 10-12 are life long. Some sponsors are really in depth and some rush you through them. Choose your own pace.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started the steps immediately after my relapse 106 days ago after 88 days of sobriety . I have worked through all 12, the longest time being spent on step 4 . I allowed myself one week for each step, give or take a few days, but it took almost three weeks to complete my inventory (which, as it turns out, wasn't quite enough!) Some steps took longer than others for me ... steps 9 through 12 being a lifelong process. And now, I'm about ready to start again
Old 12-08-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful

Me and my first sponsor got through the first 3 steps in about 3 months. I switched sponsors and we did steps 4-11 in about a month. I'm still doing step 9 -- there are a lot of amends I need to make that I don't have any control on when or if they will ever get made. I remain willing to make them if possible and have made some indirect amends in situations where it may be impossible to make direct amends. I continue to do steps 10 and 11 on a daily basis and step 12 whenever possible.

For those who say the steps are not a race -- for someone like me they were. When I got to AA this time I was dying and did not have the luxury of time on my side.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Time on the steps isn't as important as what you are getting out of the steps you are working. Also for each person it will be different as everyone will have different understandings at different points. If you get completely hung up on a step it is time to get more help with it to gain the understanding you need to continue that step.

An example of that is my 4th step, I was trying too hard to bring up resentments that are currently so clouded I really don't know what they are anymore. After some time with my sponsor, and a bit of reading I understood finally that it's ok to just get the ones you can recall today. Though once my list of people I have resentments against was done and moved on to the next columns for the why, and my part in it the list grows... lol still working on it as the more I work on it the more mcomes back to me.