Notices

Getting though my first sober weekend

Old 12-04-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting though my first sober weekend

I have just woken up on day 5.. Feeling good but quite anxious about the weekend.. My weekends are normally completely filled with alcohol. I drank the entire time without work to distract me.. Any tips on how to get through? Thanks so much xx
Old 12-04-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

We have weekender threads every week just for this:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dec-5-7-a.html

Join in. We have fun.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Nic233- Congrats on the five days.

Everybody is different as far as to what helps them abstain from alcohol. I do think one of the more common denominators is the ability to make some lifestyle changes, and I don't mean just stopping the booze. You have to reinvent yourself in other ways too.

If you were like I was, where you just hung around the house and drank on your days off, then you might want to change that up a bit. I mean if you continued to do the same exact thing, but only removed the alcohol, that might leave a void of some sort that you feel needs to be filled and that won't help you reach your goals.

Many people opt for a fitness routine, which I'm an advocate of. Others, perhaps, find some other activities. There's AA, SR and other forms of support to help as well.

Whatever you decided, I just can't stress enough how important it is to reinvent your lifestyle in some way. Again, simply living the same way, but only without alcohol, can make reaching your goals a bit harder.

Lusher
Old 12-04-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
We have weekender threads every week just for this: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dec-5-7-a.html Join in. We have fun.
I second this.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
Hey Nic233- Congrats on the five days.

Everybody is different as far as to what helps them abstain from alcohol. I do think one of the more common denominators is the ability to make some lifestyle changes, and I don't mean just stopping the booze. You have to reinvent yourself in other ways too.

If you were like I was, where you just hung around the house and drank on your days off, then you might want to change that up a bit. I mean if you continued to do the same exact thing, but only removed the alcohol, that might leave a void of some sort that you feel needs to be filled and that won't help you reach your goals.

Many people opt for a fitness routine, which I'm an advocate of. Others, perhaps, find some other activities. There's AA, SR and other forms of support to help as well.

Whatever you decided, I just can't stress enough how important it is to reinvent your lifestyle in some way. Again, simply living the same way, but only without alcohol, can make reaching your goals a bit harder.

Lusher
Great advice here. I can tell you my initial approach left my knuckles really white by bedtime Sunday. Find something to occupy your mind because willpower might work but what a miserable way to spend two days. M-F are typically busy enough I stay occupied by being in a stressful profession. I cook and read because I'm really lazy when I get the opportunity to be.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Weekender thread. Powering through. Distraction, distraction, distraction. Think this over tonight on how you can and will side rail your usual Friday habits. We all go on autopilot at times and sometimes it's easy to just go with the flow which leads to drinking. If you side rail your Friday habits it makes it easier to side rail the Saturday habits, and so on. Going to bed sober on Friday should make it easier to go to bed sober on Saturday but it takes thought and work.

When I first quit I started going to Friday night beginners AA meeting. Sort of a happy hour substitute. I came on here a lot and read and posted. I tried NOT to make stops on the way home from work so I wouldn't be tempted to buy alcohol. It started small. I walked past the store where I would buy wine to drink on the train. I congratulated myself on that little step and kept walking with a smile on my face and a spring in my step. I got to the train station. I didn't go into the station to buy beer to drink on the train but got straight on the train. I felt good and built on that success. I got in my car when I reached my stop and went straight home or went to visit my parents who aren't big drinkers. And I built on that small feeling of success. I went to my AA meeting without stopping on the way either to or from and built on that little success. You will hear that this is one day at a time but in the beginning it can be one minute or one hour at a time.

You can do it.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 5 Nic

Stick close to SR we will all be here 24/7 you can lean on us anytime

Believe this you will soon grow to love your sober weekends

join the weekender thread Trachs kindly linked in

and there is also the 24h thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-27-a-13.html

good luck friend
Old 12-04-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work on day 5! I hope to see you on the weekender thread. It's full of awesome people with all kinds of topics, very helpful for me. Best wishes!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

make a plan for the weekend nic...think about keeping occupied & active, changing your routine...and staying away from drinkers. If you usually drank at specific times really focus on those times and have alternative things to do.

There's always support here too - congrats on day 5..you can do this!

D
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Plan it out! If you wake up at 8:00 am have a plan for each hour of the day. My first weekend I was anxious. It was fine. Now I love my sober weekends! Check in here, post and tell us what you're doing