Notices

How could I possibly want to drink?!?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How could I possibly want to drink?!?

So I've been sober a week and a week before that and a week before that. 7 days sober. Alcohol was ruining my life and I'm done with it. Used to be I couldn't go 2 days. I've got structure, goals,support, recovery literature, etc. but my mind/body is craving alcohol. I want that feeling again. It's a snowy day and the mountain is about to open up(snowboarder here). Just kind of want a drink. However if I do, I'll hate myself tomorrow and feel terrible. I know all this and still have that craving. I will not drink today because I'm not going to throw away my progress. Something is clicking this time. It feels different. I love the sleep I'm getting. I love making breakfast for my kids. I love waking up and not feel like I'm dying. Being sober is great. But man this stuff is pure evil. Lol. Gonna work on some projects and start making dinner. Probably have a mini meal between now and then to kill the cravings. I really want hot wings right now. Thanks for listening SR
Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep up the hard work and be in action daily. Don't give in to the craving or give in to any distorted thinking. Reach out for support like you have been. And being there for your kids is awesome!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey! Good job on the self-reflection.

Would you like to join us in the always fun Weekender thread?

Here, it just got rolling. Anything goes in there - and there is always someone with whom to talk.

Here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dec-5-7-a.html
Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Will do!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on recognising your AV kick that into touch and carry on with your exellent work

your a snowboarder is that the sport with 1080's

Heres links for cravings http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 12-04-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish I could answer that question. Because I wanted to have a drink last night. And today as I contemplated putting up a christmas tree. I got over it but lately that stupid thought has been showing up.

Fortunately, I come on SR and read - look at some of my stuff - and I'm cured of wanting that drink.

Good for you posting about it. It will get easier. I think I must be going through the 11 month itch or something.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Great on the proactiveness
I got a lot out of the Rational Recovery approach ,if you haven't already check out their material ,AVRT and the like. Helped me to understand about deciding to quit and yet still have the "want" , ideas about where that comes from , helped me understand that even with the want in place that in no way means it must be followed with a "do" , after building up time and sober muscle , if you have decided to quit the "want" will take care of itself.
Wish you well
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Well done!!
We all had to work through those issues......Proud for you for yourself and FAMILY!

Great Job, keep it going!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

addiction is one hundred percent illogical. It is all impulse. No thought of repercussions, consequences or tomorrow.

Luckily you have a normal brain there too. Dismiss the AV. Don't even fight it. Dismiss it.

It's not worth your time fishingainteasy

D
Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. Dismissing the thoughts are how I got over my negative ocd when I was a kid. Perhaps I have tools hidden in that dusty attic of a brain I got. Now if I can use that same process for crappy food too. But for now saying no to booze will do.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Fishinainteasy- Way to have the good mindset! Even though it does get 'tempting,' please know that there's really no other option, other then abstinence, if you (we) want to remain sober. It's just how it has to be, and I know you know that, which is great.
I will not drink today because I'm not going to throw away my progress.
Remember your quote when things seem to get a bit daunting, and don't forget to throw it into you Av's face!!!

~Stay strong~

Lusher
Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you Fishin. It won't take you where you want to go.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Make sure you avoid HALT...

Don't let yourself get, Hungry, angry, lonelily, or tired. Our dear friend CarolD added S, for sad.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"I love waking up and not feel like I'm dying"

That's a very good reason not to start drinking again, I think. Nobody ever wakes up in the morning and feels their body saying to them "I wish I'd had more to drink last night".
Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
"I love waking up and not feel like I'm dying"

That's a very good reason not to start drinking again, I think. Nobody ever wakes up in the morning and feels their body saying to them "I wish I'd had more to drink last night".
This x 100. I really focus on the rest when I'm struggling with a bad day. Doing it right now. Stress and anxiety are my enemies so I try to remember how good the morning will be as compared to an impulsive quick fix this moment.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Totally agree on the mornings. It's almost a kind of high waking up after a peaceful night of sleep.