Notices

Stay sober here Weekender Thread! Dec 5-7

Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

The Thread About Nothing

Hee Hee ~

Loved my Biography Video that LBrain put up in Post #26. I've been a Fan of Stop Action Animation fo evah. The groundbreaking Video below came to Mind immediately. Aardman Animation went on from this Video to do wonderful stuff like 'Wallace & Gromit' and 'Chicken Run'. Highly recommended!

Being a Free Range Poster, I'm kewl with whatever this great Thread morphs into. For me, it is a respite from all the necessarily-serious 'stuff' on this Forum, and I like just tossing around fun material. Like the self-professed theme of The Seinfeld Show, 'it's a Thread about nothing'.

Of the excellent ideas put up above, the Metaphor of Drinking becoming a faint 'echo' over time is a good one for this ex-Sound Engineer.

I was out with 3 Drinkers last night to Dinner, and all that was fine. Honestly, I didn't even notice the Beer/Wine on our Table. 2 Drinks/Person, now that I think back on it, and I didn't really think about it last night. The Restaurant/Bar we were at was a big ole non-issue. However, A Table of School Teachers and Aides nearby were so fn loud, I could hardly hear the convo at our Table to contribute. One Teacher [of which Da Wife is a Retired one] knocked her entire Plate onto the Floor. I think she was trying to pack up her Leftovers.

So, my morning Coping Strategy Advice is to plod on through these situations early on, and refocus on something else in your immediate environment. These challenges become irrelevant, or at least they have for me. One of these Drunks we know from the Golf Course Restaurant nearby came over to swap Cell Numbers with Da Wife. She offered us 2 free Tickets to a Bell Ringing Concert tonight. She overtly padded the offer with Cocktails before, and Cocktails after. Ummmmm, I-a-dun-a-think-a-so. So, Da Wife can navigate that lil Minefield today when the Drunk calls her. Having learned to always have alt Plans in my formerly-sotted Brain, we're instead going to a local small town Xmas Parade tonight; an idea I had on tap as my Escape Plan.

'Sledgehammer' ~ Peter Gabriel

-----
Old 12-05-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
The man with the BIG plan!

I'll jump aboard this bus!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I was just asked to make breakfast - brunch.
I said give me a couple minutes here.
Then it's off to the range. Haven't been to the range in a while, but I gots to check the zero on my shotgun scope.
If you're not 100% positive you're going to hit what you're aiming at, DON'T SHOOT!

Unless it's an intruder breaking into your bedroom at night. Then - BLAST AWAY.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Conquest, good luck with your oral surgery. Yuck. It isn't usually the actual procedure for me that bugs me. It's the weird feeling when the novocaine wears off.

Non, how about a gift certificate for a spa day? Massage, manicure, etc. Or if she has hobbies something to complement that.

Back at the height of Mr. Ruby's madness he pawned his wedding ring and never redeemed it. I plan to buy him a replacement to symbolize our joint committment to each other and sobriety.

Waiting for my work day to begin. Minutes until the insanity starts. Busy day and will be grateful when it's passed. I will be hanging here throughout the day.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I've been noticing a few more threads on how to stay sober on the weekends. I've seen the people referred to this thread but I was thinking to start a second thread with just hard, practical tips for staying sober. This thread was invaluable in the beginning and still is because I've gotten to know people on here. And knowing people and trusting them are extremely important. Because it's a fun way to keep myself accountable. And you know how much I like to "talk". But sometimes we talk without the tips. Any thoughts on this? Would it dilute here?
I think having a thread on how to stay sober on the weekends would be useful and wouldn't detract from this thread. I have always thought the weekend thread was the fun thread to share videos, what is going on, and to commit yourself to being sober for the weekend.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I will not drink this weekend.

At least I will not drink alcohol. I am so treating myself to a peppermint latte with whipped cream and chocolate.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm a go with the flow person myself. Well, when it comes to internet forums at least.

This thread has a lot going for it, no matter what is posted. I look forward to it every week.

*ring *ring

I have a cat staring at me. Staring - ten inches from my elbow - for the last twenty minutes. I do not know what he wants. Everything "cat" is done. He must just love me Pretty intense, though.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Most of the madness has subsided. Good. Back to business on the thread. It is so hot in here that someone mentioned ninth circle of heck.
Bimini, it is creepy when cats do that. A couple of weeks ago I walked out of my bathroom and both mine were just sitting there in the hallway. Staring up at me, silently. They aren't best friends and fight a lot so to see them next to each other, so quietly, was unnerving.

MM glad you enjoyed dinner. I have noticed that teachers can get raucous when out celebrating.

I may start sober tips only thread later on. Right now I am typing on phone ands its a pain in neck.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello from Friday evening in the Uk

Witching hour is upon us … not so bad for me i think the ghost of drinking died but i remain prepared and vigilant .. after all i've never been sober this long before how am i going to know why will happen ?

Hmm things to do when craving ?? I always found a long shower useful , got me "out of my head" or more "out of my thinking" … and it was my thinking that was that dull repetition playing again and again …. and again , and again …
Also behold the awesome power of Ice cream

Got shopping chores to do tonight , do my filial duty … might try and get to the beach for a break on saturday , stay in a cheap hotel sat night … or maybe tonight ,,, will have to see what mex-m8 says … *looks at phone expectantly*

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I am flying solo tonight as my son has plans and my not-sure-what-to-call-him-anymore is out of state golfing and hanging out with his drinking buddies. There is a work holiday party tonight and another big neighborhood holiday party tomorrow. I'm sort of wanting to go (so that is growth for me) but at the same time I'm realizing that the dynamics are all wrong; I'm alone and left with my own thinking, I've had a really stressful, busy week at home and work, and I'm feeling a little squirrely with how much drinking goes on around me over the holidays and how glittery and sparkly the drinking is made to look. Given all of those dynamics added together, I'm thinking it makes more sense for me to stop at the grocery store on the way home and get something yummy for dinner as I've been eating a whole lot of cereal lately as I hate cooking. I've learned the hard way that when one part of my brain wants to go out (you are getting your haircut this afternoon so you will look fabulous and you haven't listened to a band in a long time) and the other part of my brain is telling me not to (you are totally setting yourself up for a relapse).....it ends much better when I opt to not go out I do need to learn to be social sober, but I think I need to put more thinking in to a plan for that.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

You could always just get the haircut just for your own satisfaction!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Weekend #14...and today exactly marks three months since I found myself sitting in the hospital going 'TIME TO STOP!' . . . :-D

Well, a lot has changed in the last three months. I'm now no longer constantly in my previous two default modes (Drunk or Hungover).

I'm coping very well with this I feel although won't let my guard down.

This weekend:

Relax tonight - the gym maybe...I'm debating it :P

Tomorrow - A Christmas theatre show with some friends in Soho.

Sunday - Cooking and gym - maybe a deep clean of my bedroom.

Have a good one SR'ers.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

Can I come too? Please? :p
Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Yay, erin8! Welcome - jump right in!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Sounds like all good plans. Mec, I hope the phone rings. Seashore sounds lovely.

CL well done on 14 weeks.

SC, I wouldn't be at the parties. Not yet. I know what you mean by the sparkling lure.

I just heard from my parents. My dad has agreed to mind the kids so I can attend a 7 p.m. AA meeting. My mother has a more active social life than I and is attending a play. So. That is my start to maintaining sober weekends.

Ate too much for lunch and am in need of a nap. Talk to you all later. Making sure I am not hungry is important because hunger is a trigger. But...I overdid it.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Yes Erin, please join us! What are your plans for the weekend?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

fantastic closetlobster - 3 months!!!! wu hoo! It seems like just yesterday you showed up here.
Welcome erin, I'll stand if you need a seat.

Bimini - funny expression, love it - "everything cat is done". They are pretty low maintenance I believe. Still creepy just the same.

Well, I wondered how my shoulder was going to handle the kick. First one not bad. Second one I flinched and felt the pain. Two shots at 100 yards. Done. Gun is good to go. My supply is down to less than ten shells. The guy next to me saw my first shot and when I told him I didn't shoot this in two years he said, wow. My expected range is 50-75 yards. Beyond that unless it is a world record rack, they get a free pass. And there ain't no world record racks around these parts.
Interesting thing is that the last time I went to site a gun I had beers in the truck waiting for me. Always had cold ones waiting for me. Not no more!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Everything "cat" is done. = litter box, food, water, brush the long-haired one, give meds to the other one. They're old, so I don't really even have to play with them anymore. But apparently I do need to pay the right kind of attention to them, whatever that is.

...and he's back. Must have heard me typing about him.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

my neighbor had a cat that played fetch. Most cats would just look at you and think, HUH? Get it yourself.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, jumping on board for this weekend.
It's a mommy and daughter weekend. Tomorrow we are going to a "Frozen" party at my daughters school and Sunday is supposed to be a trip to the zoo to watch them light up the park. If we have time I am thinking about making Christmas cookies. We will see!

Jennifer