Notices

Stay sober here Weekender Thread! Dec 5-7

Old 12-04-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm IN!

This is a great place to spend some weekend time, Kero! Great job on 2 weeks!

In bed at 7 watching the live performance of Peter Pan. I'll never grow up, not me.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Oh Tannenbaum...

welcome to all of the new weekenders and returning newbies.

Well,it's official. The christmas tree is going up. I gave her a couple chances to say no, even a couple 'are you sures'. So, I'll have to move some furniture...

Which made me think of a christmas tree tune. I found one and in the video I can see (picture) some of the weekend crew. See if you can identify them throughout the video. Weasel is a dead give-away. Which one are you?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The week went fast! 3 weeks until christmas! I am making christmas candy for my co workers this weekend. Wish me luck!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
See if you can identify them throughout the video. Weasel is a dead give-away. Which one are you?
Which one are you, Brain?

I am a little bit Snoopy.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'll tag along ...

Putting up the Christmas Tree on Sunday, and roasting a turkey, since we went OUT for Thanksgiving.

Mixing and mingling my holidays.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey! I found Dee's band!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Happy weekend, team!

Lots going on in bigsombrero's tiny universe. My ninety-nine year old grandmother was in the hospital this week. She's being released tomorrow, but it's a realistic reminder that the end is sadly nearing. A couple of good friends of mine (twin brothers) just lost their father yesterday, I'm so sad for them. Next, my 70 year old father just came down with shingles, he's seeing a doctor tomorrow and I talked to him at length tonight - he feels just fine, but it was hard to hear about his illness. Life is fragile, ain't it?

In other news, I've received a "promotion" at the old virtual office - well, at least a step up the ladder. I've begun working directly with our CEO on a new project and it appears to be long-term. I won't bore you with the details, but I'll say that I'm both excited and more than a bit nervous. A load of responsibility just got tossed my way, and I don't want to muck up.

S'pose the holidays can be stressful for everyone, even those of us who are "sitting on the sidelines". Anyway, my lady friend is driving up from la capital this weekend and we're going to enjoy the city. It will be nice to get some support, hugs, and be able to exchange some thoughts and conversation. Can't wait until this time tomorrow!

PS - when I spoke with my father tonight, I was telling him all about my most recent amazing travels through the islands and jungles, and he mentioned how proud he was to hear that everything was going so well. He said: "You have to admit, sobriety's working out for you". Could not agree more. Glad to be among the other folks on the sober journey this weekend!
Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BigS's post reminded me of my Dad's bout with shingles. Folks if you are over 55 and had chicken pox, get the shingles vaccination.

What your Dad said to you is priceless, isn't it?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm in! This probably sounds stupid, but I've always been scared to commit to this thread (maybe fear of failure?). I am finally here though.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Wow, BigS, congratulations on the promotion. Or increased responsibility. I'm sorry about your gram. My grandfather is 94 and my parents are both 70. You become more aware of the fragility of life.

Strategery, we don't bite! Well, I can't say that for sure about everyone, but we're mostly harmless.

You are all freaking me out with this talk of Christmas. I've bought like three presents and that's it so far. I'm going to be hyperventilating soon.

We had a fishy funeral this evening. One of our tiny catfish was ailing last night and I was surprised that he wasn't gone when I woke up in the morning but he was hanging on. He died after I got home from work. Had the thing and his/her buddy for a few years so he had a nice long life. My daughter insisted on burying him in the garden so I'm glad the ground wasn't rock solid.

Winding down before bed. I briefly, very briefly, turned the Bears/Cowboys game on but quickly changed it. Well that wasn't going well for the Bears. I could have buried their dreams of a winning season in the garden alongside the fish.

I think it's time for that evening cure all. Ice cream. Ah, glad it's almost Friday. I also have to scope out the ingredients in my pantry for the orphan ingredient cooking challenge. I won't cook until Saturday. Too much to do tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well, I thought I would share the russian dance from the nutcracker - get into the holiday spirit and all. But I came across this and thought I would share it instead. Fascinating dance troupe. I don't care who you are, if you ever get a chance to see these folks perform, it will be well worth the price of admission. And if you are in Philly and want to see the nutcracker performed by the philly ballet company - don't waste your money unless you are taking kids to see it. I took my wife to see it and was embarrassed. But do see/hear the philly pops for sure. Great orchestra.

Congrats on your promotion BigS, sorry to hear about your dad, but his comment about sobriety was uplifting.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I've been noticing a few more threads on how to stay sober on the weekends. I've seen the people referred to this thread but I was thinking to start a second thread with just hard, practical tips for staying sober. This thread was invaluable in the beginning and still is because I've gotten to know people on here. And knowing people and trusting them are extremely important. Because it's a fun way to keep myself accountable. And you know how much I like to "talk". But sometimes we talk without the tips. Any thoughts on this? Would it dilute here?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to a healthy and happy 2015. Enjoying my new career and being sober.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I'm on the bus....in my seat So Glad I am traveling with you all this week-end..It's rough out there.

2015 - My year for sobriety
Old 12-04-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Sunshine , Hi strategery ,
Welcome along .

Hi Ruby ,
Sometimes i feel it's swung here to frivolous but then i remind myself how SR used to make me grind my teeth with the stories of woe and how there wasn't a thread for tangental support , one where we can gather and sometimes not talk about the elephant in the room if we wanted and just post something , so as to be engaging with other recoveryists without having to necessarily talk about "issues" or "recovery" .

Since it started i've also noticed a drop in number of threads saying now that i'm sober what am i now going to do ??? i think the weekend thread acts as a catalyst where people can get ideas as to how some people spend their weekends , maybe even come here and get applauded for getting up and doing in their lives ..

Hints and tips is always a good idea for a thread in the newcomers area , Deekers 24 hour check in is worth a mention .

Why not try it out and see what happens ? people do get a bit confused if there are two weekend threads bouncing round in the area though … there were times when i was posting to two of them all weekend not wanting either person who'd started it to think i was ignoring their thread …

Off for my friday …

Take care y'all , m
Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm in. Can I please have my usual window seat.....saves me getting travel sick!
2015..... I want my one year anniversary and I want to not just survive being sober but get a bit more relaxed about it. Though keeping aware.. hopefully may get a few days without thinking about alcohol. Xxxx
Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
welcome to all of the new weekenders and returning newbies.

Well,it's official. The christmas tree is going up. I gave her a couple chances to say no, even a couple 'are you sures'. So, I'll have to move some furniture...

Which made me think of a christmas tree tune. I found one and in the video I can see (picture) some of the weekend crew. See if you can identify them throughout the video. Weasel is a dead give-away. Which one are you?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa75vNf4oJo">YouTube Link</a>
Is weasle charlie brown....good at organisation. I will be the one hiding near the back all the time. Xx
Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello , I'm there
Letters for papa noel to be written and a visit to a grotto this weekend with my beautiful wife and little boy !
Have to sober for that
Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wkends looming and im dreading it. 5 wks sober but find wkends the hardest.
I can already feel the tension and anger bubbling to surface, could quite easily curl up in bed and hibernate till monday.
Hate feeling like this and being so nasty to everyone around me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Julie
Old 12-05-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Julie, great work on 5 weeks! I think this is my 8th weekend and I get what you're saying! I just wanted to share that I've had a couple of weekends where I actually did hibernate until Monday. In fact, after getting through a week of Thanksgiving hustle bustle, I'm looking forward to laying low this weekend, just enjoying some down time. Nothing wrong with a favorite blanket, Netflix, and some SR time! (Oh, and Icecream!) Enjoy