Notices

Using dreams

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using dreams

I'm on day 4 sober and I woke up in panic and still feel panic. I feel sad like I failed. I realize it's just a dream but it feels really real I had a dream I got so wasted and I didn't care I was drunk and doing whatever ! I was so upset when I woke up .. it's more like a nightmare.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it's good you felt upset about it,
at least it means you are concerned. sleep well
Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

It was a nightmare

i have suffered a lot of sleep disorders

It will get easier the more you get sober i understand exactly what you mean if you want to chat send a pm

Well done on day 4 Hailz
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on day 4, Hailz!

I have alcohol dreams, too. They usually involve me TRYING to drink but things keep getting in the way. Then I wake up with alcohol on the brain. Frustrating!

Not sure what can be done about it. Just don't drink during the waking hours, I guess!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had lots of drinking/relapse dreams in the first few months of my sobriety, and there was an interesting progress in the content as well. For example, initially it was always me drinking in my dreams and this naturally left me uncomfortable upon waking, sometimes feeling a bit "hangover-ish" for a little while. After a time, I had this series of dreams where it was never "me" picking up but other people and I was merely an observer of it. I also tend to have lucid dreams relatively frequently and I'm quite adept at using them in different ways (I studied this and trained a lot in the past). So I did things like when I had those dreams with "other people" drinking in them and I was aware I was dreaming, I would initiate conversations with the dream characters about it... that turned out pretty insightful at times. But in the end I was just chuckling at them. I have not had drinking dreams for a while now.

Try not to think too much of the dreams, focus on staying sober awake and all will be good
Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dreams are very very common Hailz...try and not let them take up too much space in your waking mind

D
Old 12-04-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

I had those dreams. The last one I took a sip of a beer and said, "This tastes like crap! Why am I drinking it?" I set it on the table, walked out of the bar, and haven't dreamed about alcohol since. That was probably seven months into sobriety. Now approaching a year...