Notices

Not sure what to do

Old 12-04-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what to do

So this is my first post on here so bare with me -uhhm so I'm basically at this tipping point where I feel really conflicted by my alcohol use and im not sure what to do so maybe someone on here could give me some advice.

I've been drinking since i was 15 and from the very first drink I aways drank more than anyone else i knew and held it as almost a matter of personal pride. From the get go once I started drinking I wouldnt stop until I got plastered... this meant whole bottle of jack in a few hours etc you feel me. Through school I partied pretty hard, towards the end some of my closest friends had an 'intervention' telling me that my drinking and behaviour was out of control. Then when i started uni i started drinking all day every day out of a water bottle in my hand bag. I got the shakes really bad so my parents noticed, raided my room and forced me to stop - I got pretty sick for a few days there. Then I eventually went back to the binge drinking and for a while I have just been drinking 7 - 20 drinks a couple nights a week. NOW i have been diagnosed with a number of chronic health conditions which require me to cut back all togehter and i honestly believe that i may have given myself these conditions throgh all that drinking...and I cannot imagine a world without alchol for me - this is what has me concerned.

So basically my question here is - I am concerned about my drinking but I also feel like im not maybe 'bad enough' (if you know what i mean?). like I guess i don't know whether i'm an alcoholic or not and also if I was i wouldnt know how to quit anyway....
Old 12-04-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of information and support here. The symptoms you describe, the efforts taken by your friends and parents, and your inability to quit or even imagine a life without alcohol lead me to believe you are an alcoholic.

Surf around the boards, ask a lot of questions and try to be open to what you find. We are here for you as you start this new journey.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome rep
I ruined my health with my drinking. I kept clinging to the idea that I wasn't that bad, that I knew people who were worse.,..I was just a normal hard drinking Aussie guy.

Trouble was my normal was drinking everyday - eventually all day everyday

Get the comparative stuff out the way - it doesn't matter whether you drink more or less than Joe Bloggs...you're the bloke with the problem.

You've been told your health has been compromised and that alcohol has been a factor in that, right?

The common sense response would be to stop drinking, now.

Don't be like I was

D
Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm aussie too! mmm the drinking culture in Australia can be a bit out of control, everyone drinks a lot so its hard to accept that you might have a problem while everyone else seems fine partying their arses off... I do not stop drinking until the alcohol runs out i try keeping track of it but i always loose track once i pass 12 or so, just keep going well past 20 and then wake up the next morning like **** i have no idea what happened... but I just shrug it off and say 'nah i'm fine everyone drinks heaps'...
Old 12-04-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That post is very familiar to me!
It took me a long time to accept that my drinking was not the norm, even though a lot of my old friends are/were similar. Thing is, I was very lucky to realize that regardless of what they were like, I don't want to be thinking all day every day about alcohol, and feeling my body getting sicker. It is just no way to live.
I tried quitting for a month as an experiment and realized very quickly how much I depended on it. That made me see what a problem I had and then it was at least my choice to do something about it. I am so glad I did.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
Most coming to this site are not here because we drank too much sodas.
To answer your question a good test for yourself is to NOT drink, no matter what happens for 90 days. If you can do that without discomfort you may not be an alcoholic. If you break down during that period try having just 3 drinks.
In order for alcoholics to sober up we need to get honest with ourself about our drinking AND accept the fact we can NOT drink at all one day at a time in a row.
This site is very helpful along with AA which has helped millions worldwide.

BE WELL
Old 12-04-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First, welcome to SR. You have quite a few red flags in your post. Friends and family concerned, health issues, not being able to imagine a world without drinking, hiding alcohol in a water bottle in your handbag etc.....if you don't know how to quit, you have a problem with alcohol.

Look around here, read, post.....it sounds like you have good friends and family that will help you and everyone here knows what you are going through. Alcohol clearly isn't adding anything positive to your life so why not quit?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome rep
I ruined my health with my drinking. I kept clinging to the idea that I wasn't that bad, that I knew people who were worse.,..I was just a normal hard drinking Aussie guy.

Trouble was my normal was drinking everyday - eventually all day everyday

Get the comparative stuff out the way - it doesn't matter whether you drink more or less than Joe Bloggs...you're the bloke with the problem.

You've been told your health has been compromised and that alcohol has been a factor in that, right?

The common sense response would be to stop drinking, now.

Don't be like I was

D
This
Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by rep94 View Post
1. some of my closest friends had an 'intervention' telling me that my drinking and behaviour was out of control.
2. i started drinking all day every day out of a water bottle in my hand bag.
3. I got the shakes really bad so my parents noticed, raided my room and forced me to stop - I got pretty sick for a few days there.
4. I have just been drinking 7 - 20 drinks a couple nights a week.
5. I have been diagnosed with a number of chronic health conditions which require me to cut back all togehter and i honestly believe that i may have given myself these conditions throgh all that drinking
All of these negative consequences from drinking, but...
I cannot imagine a world without alchol for me - this is what has me concerned.
...you're more concerned about not drinking than the negative consequences of your drinking.

Classic addicted thinking. I had it, too. I never knew I was a slave until I was free. You are a slave to alcohol, my friend, but you can be free. I highly recommend it.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!

Can't imagine a life with or without alcohol, that was my tipping or jumping off point.

If your not sure you are bad enough off, (really???) then simply stop for 60 days. See how much your life improves and what the future may hold.

I have found most people who search the internet, find SR, register and post are not thinking to themselves - Man, my life is great, I really love alcohol and want to share the good news! I think I'll go to a recovery website and post a thread about intervention, hiding booze in a water bottle and health issues!?!?!

Keep coming back - Thanks for the post
Welcome Home....

FlyN
Old 12-04-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, I don't know what you mean. 7-20 drinks a night, chronic health conditions that you 'may' have given yourself, shakes, sick when you were forced to quit, carrying a water bottle of alcohol in your handbag. Kid, you are quite past 'far-gone', and I suggest you reevaluate your use and really play that tape through. Good luck.

Bunnez
Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought you might have been Aussie

Not sure how old you are, but it is possible to be an Aussie and not drink.

You might have to make some changes but it will work out.

none of us would stay in recovery if we felt we lost out on the deal.

I defined myself by my drinking - it was hard to let go of that and rebuild my life, but there's support here and in other place, and I'm glad I did...

I rediscovered the real me under all that alcohol use, and I have a life that fits the real me now and I'm very happy in it

give it a go

D
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice everyone It's definitely made me think :/ I keep saying to myself 'why dont I quit drinking so I can loose some weight for summer as a reason to stop... still not able to carry through on that as last nights bevvies would attest.

I don't think I can quit on my own... would anyone have any extra advice regarding what I should start with? who do i talk to etc?

Old 12-06-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice everyone It's definitely made me think :/ I keep saying to myself 'why dont I quit drinking so I can loose some weight for summer as a reason to stop... still not able to carry through on that as last nights bevvies would attest.

I don't think I can quit on my own... would anyone have any extra advice regarding what I should start with? who do i talk to etc?

Sobriety takes cajones my friend. It is not for the faint of heart ...so you ask excellent questions. Talking to your medical doctor or a therapist is a good start. There are different recovery groups you can check out...the biggest on the block being AA...but there are others like Smart Recovery and Life Ring and others.

This will be an enormous lifestyle change...but one well worth taking. Is getting hammered to blackout really your greatest aspiration?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rep there are a number of flags in your post. In many respects my situation is not as bad as yours and in some ways it's worse. So as per the advice above don't compare to others but if you want to then compare to me - you have a major problem. I good start would be to drop ALL the booze IMMEDIATELY, see a doctor if you feel really bad, go to an AA meeting, research AVRT and spend a week reading this site as much as you can. You will have. A much greater understanding of where you stand then.
A lot of what you say resonated with me, good luck.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Rep

Your story made me panic for you-if you are suffering health problems seems like an indication to needing to stop, they will only get worse.

You're in the right place, you' ll get a lot of support and understanding here - post if you need to any time, there's always someone around.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Rep there is AA there is AVRT Sr has sections here to check out on the main forum
Old 12-06-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Rep!!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good. I did, and don't regret a sober minute of it.