Notices

When does it stop being about me?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Hi CG, thanks again for this post. I too expected immediate call back and stared at the phone list instead of calling and hung up if I got no answer. I felt the same way you did but you said it better. Now I have to find that worksheet. I don't currently have a sponsor but have a couple of people in mind. I never have worked the steps because I felt somehow it was demeaning if that makes sense but now a year in I've realized that it really is coaching and guided learning into different ways of living. The prayer of St. Francis really says it all. Thank you for that Flynby. Again CG thanks. This post has helped me a lot.
Do yourself a favor. Through my small experience in sobriety. DONT do the worksheet without someone in the program, a sponsor, whomever...on standby. You are going to start digging into places in your brain you drowned and it's hard to deal with. Only do work on it a few minutes at a time. And share it with someone with some sober time. They will settle your fears of being totally unhelpable, cuz you are going to have those fears. And please don't go beyond the step you are working on until someone with some time says so. This is what led to my relapse.

This makes me so happy that speaking my mind managed to help someone else. I shared honestly today and I pulled my sponsor aside and read to her what I wrote to you guys. She smiled and nodded very understanding all through it. My higher power got me through this very hard big girl move today. And I am grateful for that. And I hope he can give her strength to not take what I said personally. She is a people pleaser. And I am a "people" who was not pleased. I promise to call her in the morning before I get stuck in my own head.

Jennifer
Old 12-04-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A few months in the obsession over alcohol started to subside and I made a point of helping others and reaching out to those people that were in the same place as I was on Day 1, the fears, the anxiety, the withdrawals.

The more I did this, the more I stopping thinking about drinking, and the better I felt!!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks purple knight. I am searching for something to level me out. And I know that's one of the things I need to do to get there. My pink cloud crashed kind of hard and it's just me, me, my emotions, me, more issues and of course...me.

Jennifer
Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Two ears, one mouth.

It's not a design fault

Start picking up the phone!!!

To your sponsor and others on that list.

You need to get well, but so do they.

Don't rob yourself and others of the opportunity.

I make 4 calls every morning routine and others in the afternoon / evening.

On bad days, 10-12 calls in a day.

I thought I was pestering people, but they love hearing from newcomers.... Try it and see
Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks CG. I started digging about two years ago in inpatient treatment and there was a counselor there. I've done a bit at a time on my own but only on the surface stuff. Yeah, I don't think I'd want to go in too deep without someone to listen. My head is not always the best neighborhood to hang out in.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh Jen, you are doing great, give yourself a break.

Don't be ashamed of one single thing. Hold your head high that you are there, doing something with yourself!

As far as frustration, look, your sponsor may be super great. She may not work out at all. This does not have to be a life long thing, if she is not the one for you, just find someone else that would be a better fit, no big deal. But do give it a chance.

I think you are being honest with yourself and everyone else, and that is a great thing.

XXX