Notices

Gonna be awful... starting day 1

Old 12-03-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When I say a week or two, I meant the sweats, the shakes, the weakness, the lethargy, the worst of everything. I think after that time I was able to start exercising (twenty minute walk), I was able to sleep without soaking the sheets, etc. Maybe it was then that I saw how much better life was without the alcohol.
Honestly, my body spent months getting better, not just weeks, especially since I was so malnourished.
Some people seem to breeze right through it all like nothing happened.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Seems like everyone is nice and cares. Im hoping that the detox isnt too bad.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good people here.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am definitely malnurished and dehydrated but drinking water now.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Water is your friend!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have some gatorade as well. Should help a little bit with the dehydration.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Gatorade, chicken soup. Anything bland. Your appetite will return gradually. Like you I didn't eat and my stomach was feeling pretty wrecked when I quit. I've gained a bunch of weight since quitting. Ice cream really helps with urges and cravings to drink.

But, I agree with everyone in that you should see your doctor. Especially if you have had seizures. I detoxed in the hospital the first time I made a stab at quitting. It wasn't bad and I was monitored. It was actually rather pleasant and I felt like I was wrapped in a warm, safe cocoon. The second time when I quit last year wasn't bad, I was at home, but I saw my doctor before quitting and got a prescription to help and it did.

Stick here for support. I attend AA and it has really helped me. You can do it.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is an incredible first step for you and you will find tons of support here.

A key part of this is going to be helping your body rebuild after that kind of daily beer intake. You need to see your doctor. You need to hire a doctor if you do not have one. Alcohol abuse effects every aspect of your body and your health and it is advisable to see your doctor, be frank about your history, and allow him to run blood tests on you and check you out. You need a barometer of where your health currently stands so you can make yourself a plan and provide your body the tools it needs (healthy foods, exercise, etc) to rebuild.

Best of luck to you! Please be careful through detox. Please consider seeing your doctor.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Ok i'll call my doctor in the morning and see if he can fit me in. I have quit drinking before but the seizure thing scares me.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you all again. I know i'm not gonna sleep tonight but I guess sleep will come in time i'm sure. Any other suggestions for eating food tomorrow?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mbrett View Post
Thank you all. and Yinzer... withdrawal symptons last up to two weeks?
For me the shakiness, etc., lasted around 4 days. I began to feel much better each day after that. I still had to deal with being anxious and depressed for a while after that but it lessened each day. Little, dumb things would irritate me.

The first three days, I pretty much babied myself. Stayed in bed a lot, drank a lot of water and ate something when I could. Got more active after that, but still went slow for a while. Pretty much had to tough it out, but if you have a friend or family around; you should have somebody with you if you can.

But if your withdrawals get so bad that the thought of calling 911 or going to an ER crosses your mind, DO IT. Detoxing is not a game. It's serious business.

Stay close to SR. Lots of support here. John

PS. You might want to consider having something sweet around. Helps.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I feel pretty depressed. I have some reese cups but still having a hard time eating anything. Drinking water and not tired at all. I was more shaky earlier than I am now it seems. I'm definitely going to stay close to SR and I thank you for the advice John.
I figure its not going to take 3-4 to feel like a new man. Seems to me like i'm gonna have to relearn how to live life. The most time in a row i've had in 15 years is about 8 days.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

M it is obvious that you are serious about this and it is also obvious that you are a good person. I am glad you are going to call your doctor. Everyone cares about your safety. And what is so great is that you never will have to worry about going through this again. As a side note, I drank between 9 and 18 beers five times a week and detox was not as bad as I expected. I am really proud of you.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The depression will pass. Stay strong.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you both. I really hope the depression passes. I feel today like i'm losing my best and most damaging friend. I hope I never have to do this again. Is day 2 and 3 worse than day 1? And sorry for all the questions.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

mbrett

I don't believe it!! When I mentioned about keeping something sweet around, I was thinking of reeses peanut butter cups!! Not making this up. I usually keep a bag around for those though days. After some recovery time, I don't eat them so much, but it's nice to know their there. Kinda like a security blanket. LOL John
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Day by day it gets better.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey mbrett- it's great you're getting sober but, sorry, it's not gonna feel great for a few days. For me, the first three days were pretty crappy generally but after that things were seriously better. My approach was pretty simple- eat and drink as much as I can and sleep whenever I needed to. I hope you've got the freedom to do something similar.

I'd really see your doctor, although I'm being a bit of a hypocrite saying that cos I never have when I've detoxed. I will if (unfortunately) I have to do it again. The history of seizures you've got is a bit of a worry. The bonus is that whatever medication the doctor gives you for the seizures will probably make detoxing a lot less painful too :=]

Take care and keep posting when you need to.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yep I like reeses as well. They seem to help with the hardcore cravings which I have a feeling are coming tonight and tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

There is a pretty good article on webmd about alcohol detox. I just did a search on alcohol detox what to expect and the webmd article was like fifth in the list. I think that might help to answer some of your questions.