Notices

Checking in...

Old 12-03-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in...

Hello all:

Just checking in... Getting a little comfortable and I don't like it. I am adamant in my desicion of quitting, very much so. The other Day I was having a conversation with my husband about never drinking again. I told him that alcohol has beaten me enough in my life for me to realize that I just can never drink again. And then he told me that I had beaten it now... I felt happy that he said that in a way but in another way I thought to myself "I'm really just starting".

I am feeling good. I am feeling really good. As I said, getting comfortable and I don't know if I should beware. I am traveling to my mother's 60th birthday party and that is gonna be a huge deal but I feel strongly that I will not fall. I leave in a month.

I saw my aunt in law and a cousin in law (the sister of the one I got sloshed with last Xmas) this Thanksgiving and told them I quit drinking. Apparently she's still drinking a lot. Want to reach out to her and tell her I'm sober but I fear it might be awkward...

I keep trucking. Emotions come and go and I just ride them out.

Bye peeps.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great idea to post! It's easy to sometimes become complacent in our sobriety.

Keep trucking 😉
Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety! being sober is something we constantly have to work on and nurture, but so is everything else in life. Relationships, health, wealth, happiness.
Also if you think about it, drinking likely sucked so much of your time and energy that those things that really matter suffered. It's an adjustment at first but well worth the shift as you will continue to notice improvements all over your life the further along you go on your sober path.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oops. double post
Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Nowsthetime-

Congrats on your progress! It's nice to see how well things are going for you.
..getting comfortable and I don't know if I should beware.
It's great that you're aware of how you're feeling.

One of the things that I've learned from this forum is how many people feel that since they have stopped drinking for 'X" amount of time, they begin to feel that they no longer have a problem with alcohol. They often decide to have just a couple of drinks like a 'normal' person, only to find themselves back to how they were before. Often worse and disappointed.

Just know that when we are wired the way that we are, then becoming a normal drinker is most likely never going to happen, and testing yourself with a drink or two will most likely derail all of your hard work. Some people might pull it off for a while, but it seems inevitable that they will return to their pre-sober drinking habits.

I do wish you well, and good luck at your mother's party. Just keep in mind how important your goals are.

Lusher
Old 12-03-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think your doing a good job

Your Checking in

Your Aware
Old 12-03-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing well, and it's always good to be proactive and pay attention to those feelings of complacency. I know your mother will be thrilled that you show up for her 60th birthday sober and strong.