Notices

Having difficulity telling other I am an alcoholic

Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Having difficulity telling other I am an alcoholic

Hi all this may sound silly or vain or down right narcicistic yet I am having a hard time telling people I am an alcoholic. I do not have a problem with my alcoholic piers in group or AA but friends,coworkers people in the community, and the firefighters in my dept I do. I was hospitalize recently because of alcohol so when offered alcohol I have been saying I don't drink any longer my body has a bad reaction to it. Am I lying to myself and others? I guess it does not matter as long as I am not drinking.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't tell people. I don't tell people a lot of things.

The reason why I don't tell people is that there is still a stigma attached and people don't understand and I'm not about to try to educate them - I know how that would go.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NOPE.

it's nobody's business but your own. If you choose to tell people it's up to you.
Saying I don't drink because my body has a bad reaction to it is perfectly true.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I agree, it doesn't matter as long as you're not drinking.

I don't drink. It's my business why. I don't owe anyone an explanation.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Agreed with the others. I told my immediate family and a few friends that I was quitting drinking, but I didn't specifically tell anyone that I was an alocholic outright. What matters is that you know and that you are taking steps to live sober. Beyond that it's really no one else's business.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Agreed with the others. I told my immediate family and a few friends that I was quitting drinking, but I didn't specifically tell anyone that I was an alocholic outright. What matters is that you know and that you are taking steps to live sober. Beyond that it's really no one else's business.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't like the term alcoholic and have the same issue. However, I don't think you have to tell people anything since it is an intensely personal thing. Most people don't care if you drink or not and will not request an explanation.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agree with others. I have told a few friends that I've stopped drinking, which is something I never did when I moderated. Telling a select few helped to solidify my sobriety.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

"Alcoholic" is just a word. It is not who anyone is. Just saying I don't drink or would rather do or have something else is all you need to say to anyone, because that is the real honest deal.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey of Sobriety

I agree with many people here. You don't have to explain to anyone about how you are treating your body. When I eat a healthy meal - I shouldn't have to tell people I want to lose x amount of weight, When I say no to a smoke - I shouldn't have to explain the health effects, and when I don't want a drink - I shouldn't be forced to air out my addiction issues to everyone. I believe a simple "I don't want a drink" would suffice, like what are they going to say? "No, you have to have a drink even if you don't want one"... most likely they will just accept your straight forward answer.

Otherwise, when you tell them all the reasons why you're not drinking they often try to argue the reasoning because they don't understand your personal journey of sobriety.

I would just keep it sweet and simple - Other than when you want to share, your journey is really no ones business but your own.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Someone offers you a drink, all you have to say is no thank you.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All you have to say is I don't drink. Focused on my health etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good advice
Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by CNY46ER View Post
Hi all this may sound silly or vain or down right narcicistic yet I am having a hard time telling people I am an alcoholic. I do not have a problem with my alcoholic piers in group or AA but friends,coworkers people in the community, and the firefighters in my dept I do. I was hospitalize recently because of alcohol so when offered alcohol I have been saying I don't drink any longer my body has a bad reaction to it. Am I lying to myself and others? I guess it does not matter as long as I am not drinking.

doesn't sound like you're lying if, you had to be hospitalized for it!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, I agree with the others. I have no problem accepting that I am an alcoholic and can never drink again, but don't see any reason why I should tell everyone or anyone who's not affected by it. I only share it with SR, with people at the few AA meetings I went to, my therapist, and people I have had close intimate relationships with (since I don't like carrying secrets as big as this in such situations and it would not have been realistically possible anyway). No plans to expand the circle.

I understand when people feel that they might benefit from being honest with the world this way... I also considered this at the earlier stages. But the truth is, this can easily cause lots of unpredictable practical difficulties. I am personally even careful what I share with my doctors since I have never sought medical help with my alcohol problem earlier.

I tell many people that I don't drink when it comes up (only then!), and that's it. Never got asked why. The max consequence is that I don't get invited to parties where the theme involves lots of drinking, but I am more than grateful for that.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't need to tell other people you're an alcoholic to recover
You do have to be ready for people asking why you're not drinking though.

A lot of people say health reasons...I've gotten to the point where I say 'no thanks, I don't drink'

D
Old 12-03-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thats what i say i dont drink !

if ppl persist and say come on i just repeat it and say its pointless i dont drink

i have no qualms saying this
Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There's nothing false in your statement. I never felt any obligation to explain wanting a drink so I sure don't see any obligation to explain a polite no thanks or no longer interested or whatever you feel comfortable with. Your body, recovery, and decision in who you share it with.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just say I don't drink! Which is true!