SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Very first AA meeting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/352479-very-first-aa-meeting.html)

Frixion 12-02-2014 10:26 PM

Very first AA meeting

So I'm feeling really good about my day 1 of sobriety. I know a day isn't much, but I feel like I handled it very well. I logged on to this site, I confessed a recent drunken horror story that has been weighing on me heavily, I listened and actually took great advice, and I finished off my day by going to my very first AA meeting!

I get it. I finally get it. At first I felt like I didn't belong at an AA meeting, but as soon as I opened my mind and listened to peoples stories I realized other people know what it's like. I don't only mean that they know what it's like to be dependant on alcohol. I mean that they understand what it's like to feel lonely, ostracized, anxious, and hopeless. It's not what I expected. Everyone was kind to me, with no other motive than to help & support.

P.S. for anyone who read my previous post "failed first meeting" I actually got the courage to be honest with my boyfriend that I was going to go to this AA meeting to start a life of sobriety - a real life. He resisted it at first by telling me I don't need AA, but as I told him that it was important to me he responded with his full support.

:tyou

Dee74 12-02-2014 10:41 PM

Good for you Frixion :)

D

Lance40 12-02-2014 10:58 PM

I'm really happy for you and so proud that you were able to be honest with your bf. We are all in this together and reading about your courage and commitment inspires me to stay strong.

SoberLife90 12-02-2014 11:00 PM

Sobriety starts at day 1! You can do it!

SoberLife90 12-02-2014 11:13 PM

My life began on Day 1! You can do it!

Dainty1982 12-02-2014 11:14 PM

Great work. It makes life a lot easier when you are open and honest with the ones you love :)

ubntubnt 12-02-2014 11:34 PM

well done, it seems you finally broke down some big barriers...good luck!

HMS 12-03-2014 12:36 AM

I was going to try to do this without aa meetings. But you have given me courage to get to one as soon as possible

oak 12-03-2014 01:14 AM

I'm glad it went well. Congrats on going and also on talking to your boyfriend.

OklaBH 12-03-2014 01:24 AM

GOOD FOR YOU! I had years of my husband telling me I was fine and dint need to quit drinking. I wish I had done what you did. It would have saved a lot o heartache.

desypete 12-03-2014 01:38 AM

well done on going a day without a drink for someone who is like me going a day without a drink is just amazing

i have a few days sober now and the all mount up but i am just like you i am only sober for 1 day at a time

FlyerFan 12-03-2014 04:21 AM

My family still tells me I don't need AA, but the voices in my head argue otherwise. ;)

Soberwolf 12-03-2014 04:27 AM

Hi Frixion big well done on day 1 that is awesome friend

my life seriously changed for the better like tenfold in sobriety

IOAA2 12-03-2014 05:16 AM

Hi.
From my 1st day sober I’ve attended AA many years and don’t regret it. Too many IMO attend for a short while and sober up and then get too occupied with other things, relapse and can’t get sober again due in part from shame and disappointing themselves.
For me attending meetings is a cheap insurance and gives the opportunity to perhaps help someone who seeks help.
It works when we work it.

BE WELL

Peter_819 12-03-2014 06:03 AM

Good for you Frix! I'm on my fourth day of sobriety and hoping to attend my first AA meeting today and your story has inspired me to take the plunge. Thank You!

JT0626 12-03-2014 06:09 AM

I'm so glad that you went to your first AA meeting & came out happier. I was so worried about you when you first posted. You sounded so defeated.

Today is a new day & you have the power to make it a good one. Congrats on your sobriety thus far, you can do this!

:You_Rock_

Frixion 12-03-2014 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_819 (Post 5054495)
Good for you Frix! I'm on my fourth day of sobriety and hoping to attend my first AA meeting today and your story has inspired me to take the plunge. Thank You!

Originally Posted by HMS (Post 5054128)
I was going to try to do this without aa meetings. But you have given me courage to get to one as soon as possible

I am so happy that I have encouraged others to go to an AA meeting, going has already allowed me to look forward to my future - I have felt defeated for far too long, and going to that meeting made me feel like I had unlimited support, advice, and a new social circle that I don't have to worry to pressure me into the wrong direction. They understood my shame, regret, and didn't judge me. It's was exactly what I needed in my life. For once I feel like I belong.

Fly N Buy 12-03-2014 08:34 AM

Good Stuff!!

When I walked into AA, I was ready.......It helps so much to be at that point! I empathize with those who struggle and fight sobriety. I did for so very, very long.

Now, a day at a time I jealously guard sobriety and can't wait to see how my body, mind and soul regenerate!

Good for you on you willingness!!
Many are driven to AA under the lash of alcohol......however, it doesn't state in a court ordered bus! Walking in of your own volition is huge.....

Keep coming back!