Notices

Scared but relieved

Old 12-02-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared but relieved

I have started telling people in my life that I am sober again. It feels so much harder to say the words this time. I am an alcoholic. No one looks surprised this time. I have seen relief in some faces. It's hard to see the truth reflected in the faces of people you love but it is also liberating.

I have never asked anyone for help. It's really a fault of mine. Now I am asking people for the most difficult kind of help; the emotional kind. But I really do need the help from people because doing things my way has not worked. I need to learn to let people in. My habit is to hide and brood over my problems. This almost always involved alcohol. The last time I stopped drinking, I didn't work on my brooding and hiding. It has to stop.

This time I won't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. This time I plan to involve the people I love in my recovery instead of downplaying how serious this battle for my life really is.

There is no turning back. It's very scary. The idea of telling everyone again that I really can't control my drinking means I really can't drink again. Once I am fully honest about the extent of my drinking, there can only be consequences if I go back to drinking.

At the same time, it feels soooo liberating. I never have to drink again. What a relief.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on arriving at this point DP! I know what you ran about relief, things had gotten so bad with me that by the time I finally decided to quit once and for all relief is what I felt the most and it was great. Its great that you will have support on SR and from your family and friends but ultimately it is YOU that will need to make this happen so I wish you good luck!
Old 12-03-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree it's very scary to tell others, it raises the level of accountability. You don't want to disappoint others. You can do it knowing the person you would disappoint the most is yourself. You have a good plan started.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
It’s difficult for us to ask for help because of our feeling process and the bad examples we received while growing up, if we ever did.
In my time of need I fortunately attended AA meetingS where people understood. It could be a hug, handshake, a look of caring and on and on because they’ve been there.
It’s nice to go for coffee or whatever after a meeting with a couple others and discover a great helpful conversation was had 2-3 hours later.

BE WELL
Old 12-03-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As a newly sober person, I find myself in similar situations. I don't want to disappoint anyone. And really it is about me and my life. I have to do this to be well. Admitting that I am an alcoholic and making the decision everyday that I can never drink is a relief. I am proud of my decision and no one can take that from me. I don't have to worry about hurting others by my behaviors. I love waking up feeling good. I will be healthy for myself and the ones I love.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love this post Doperdition

You have made my day
Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At the same time, it feels soooo liberating. I never have to drink again. What a relief.

Yes indeed!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My story feels the exact same. Thanks for sharing. Addiction hates having light cast upoun it, it loves to breed in the dank and musty corners of our brains. And the secrets and lies keep it nice and safe feeling. Keep being honest with yourself and others and you got this beat! Congratulations on your decision.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for reading and your kind replies. It really helps to know that we are not alone in this fight and that people who have been successful in sobriety once felt the same way that I do now. I know I can do this.

I'm glad I could make your day Soberwolf!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

DoPerdition, you are definitely not alone. Good for you for dragging your addiction out into the light. I'm still working on this issue, so your post is very inspiring to me.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said Doperdition

You 5000% do this and you can call on us for support 24h a day

Exellent posts well done
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
DoPerdition, you are definitely not alone. Good for you for dragging your addiction out into the light. I'm still working on this issue, so your post is very inspiring to me.
I couldn't say it better. I have slowly & painfully come to realize letting go of the introverted fear of sharing emotions is as crippling as the self medicating. I can decide not to drink but sharing pain or fear with others is something I struggle with every day and always have. You are not alone and congrats on pushing forward.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

DoPerdition, you are definitely not alone, and I'm glad you have support.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad I could be helpful josharon and JCMJ. I would say I had a moment of clarity last night of sorts. With each person I reach out to, I feel better because it is a step closer to people knowing the real me. No wonder I am so lonely sometimes when I keep the real DoPerdition hidden behind a "together" and "composed" facade.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Double post