Notices

boyfriend is in rehab.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

boyfriend is in rehab.

My boyfriend is a heroine addict and has been in and out of rehab for 2 years. He chose to go to rehab this time on his own. Before it was always someone making him. We are from Indiana. He chose a rehab in Florida so it wouldn't be so easy for him to leave. Its also 11 months long. I am very proud of him making that decision on his own because he wants to quit for himself this time. He's been in Florida for 5 months now and is doing great. He's never lasted 2 weeks at his previous rehabs. We have 6 more months to go. I don't get to see him because he's 14 hours away, he calls once a week, and we write each other a couple times a week. It's been nice to communicate through letters. However, we are half way through and I just feel kind of alone right now. My family and friends are tired of talking about it and I don't really have anyone to share things with. Its not ALL that I talk about, but it does make me feel better to talk about him every once in awhile. I read how a recovering addict should not be in a relationship, and we have tried that. But our love is so strong for each other and we can't help but be there for each other. These 6 months will be long and hard so I'm just trying to find other ways to cope with it. Thanks for reading
Old 12-03-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum youl find a lot of suppport here

and we also have a friends & family section youl find support Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

its nice to meet you
Old 12-03-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the idea is that one should not get into a NEW relationship. I didn't leave my wife when I went into rehab. All of those suggestions are completely dependent on the individual circumstances. Usually meaning, if one is new to having a clear head they should hold off a while before making major decisions because they may not be emotionally mature enough. Depending how long one is in addiction the first year 'of life' can be confusing and challenging.
Support him as best you can. And be patient with him as he may be a different person after a year clean. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Brian and soberwolf!