Notices

Reasons I KNOW I am an alcoholic....

Old 12-02-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fishinainteasy View Post
Awesome work you put in there. Great list and I relate to every point you made. I can never drink again for these reasons
It's such a relief when you fully accept that you're an alcoholic, isn't it? I think KNOWING 100% without a doubt that you can never drink again is KEY to getting and staying sober.....and never forgetting it!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Phenomenal post Serenidad! I can relate completely. I also had a long stretch of sobriety followed by a six year long relapse that nearly killed me on many occasions in a variety of ways. So happy to be climbing back on the wagon and glad you are here with me. Your list is a good one to read on a daily basis. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JetIonic View Post
Phenomenal post Serenidad! I can relate completely. I also had a long stretch of sobriety followed by a six year long relapse that nearly killed me on many occasions in a variety of ways. So happy to be climbing back on the wagon and glad you are here with me. Your list is a good one to read on a daily basis. Thank you.
Thx Jet! How are you doing?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, Serenidad. And yes, so easy to relate to so many (almost all, actually) of what you listed. It's amazing that we still do drink given all of those awful things. Truly the insanity of the disease. Glad you're back in AA and getting support.

And also so glad you're here and giving it back to all of us as well. Posts like this are so needed.

Thank you again!!
Old 12-02-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Serenidad, I am more hopeful this time than I have been during my previous attempts at quitting. I think it is SR that is making a difference. And your post was a real motivator, as though you had made that list for me! LOL. The support here is more meaningful than a lot of what I encountered in outpatient rehab. So thank you for helping to keep me on track. And I am so happy for you that you are back on track! You seem very strong and so ready to get back to your happy life of sobriety. Peace.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good work and well done on the sponsor
Old 12-02-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Omg! This is me! I am a alcoholic. Don't think I ever really accepted that b4, even though been trying to stop drinking for 10 yrs.This time around I accept that fact and your list is so worthy and valuable enough for me to print out several copies and put it in several strageic places. I've been doing well and feel really comitted but I know the time will come when I will have the thought of having a drink and controlling it. I will put your list in my toolbox ( more like armory) too. Thx so much for compiling this and sharing it with us.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JetIonic View Post
Serenidad, I am more hopeful this time than I have been during my previous attempts at quitting. I think it is SR that is making a difference. And your post was a real motivator, as though you had made that list for me! LOL. The support here is more meaningful than a lot of what I encountered in outpatient rehab. So thank you for helping to keep me on track. And I am so happy for you that you are back on track! You seem very strong and so ready to get back to your happy life of sobriety. Peace.
Thx Jet! I DID make that list just for YOU! ;-) Heehee. Let's stick together! We can do this! Right?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Omg! This is me! I am a alcoholic. Don't think I ever really accepted that b4, even though been trying to stop drinking for 10 yrs.This time around I accept that fact and your list is so worthy and valuable enough for me to print out several copies and put it in several strageic places. I've been doing well and feel really comitted but I know the time will come when I will have the thought of having a drink and controlling it. I will put your list in my toolbox ( more like armory) too. Thx so much for compiling this and sharing it with us.
You're welcome mistory & Ptcapote! I just wanted something permanent for myself to refer to in times of need. I figure if I have a craving and read the entire list to myself out loud 5 times in a row...by the time I'm done my craving will be gone! :-) I hope!!!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

A pretty comprehensive list! Wow. I related to the vast majority of them sadly enough. I do have one more alcohol made me stop caring and result in me causing terrible hurt to my partner and family

Thanks Serenidad
Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I read this list aloud and said yes to all but one of the things on that list. I am bookmarking this to read again as needed. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you posted this. Sometimes I still struggle with accepting that I'm an alcoholic because nothing truly terrible happened to me. A list like this helps ground me in reality because I relate to many of the things you listed. Denial can be so apparent in other people but makes perfect sense when I do it to myself.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I got more than half way down the list and realised there wasn't a single one that didn't apply to me. Very well written, a great post. I guess that makes me an alcohol abuser also, as if I didn't know already
Old 12-03-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
A pretty comprehensive list! Wow. I related to the vast majority of them sadly enough. I do have one more alcohol made me stop caring and result in me causing terrible hurt to my partner and family Thanks Serenidad
I relate to that completely!!! We can do this!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
I read this list aloud and said yes to all but one of the things on that list. I am bookmarking this to read again as needed. Thank you.
Which one didn't you say yes to? Dancing naked on the bar? Haha. Just kidden.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Very nice list Serenidad! You put a lot of time and effort into this and it is awesome! I have one to add to the list: making a promise to a loved one that you are only going to have one drink when going out, but then it turns into more.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Very nice list Serenidad! You put a lot of time and effort into this and it is awesome! I have one to add to the list: making a promise to a loved one that you are only going to have one drink when going out, but then it turns into more.
Yep!!! Once we have that first drink...it's over!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

That really is a great list, thanks so much for spending the time to lay out what is our reality. I've bookmarked it, as I am sure many others have, and it will help me many times over!