Notices

To AA or not to AA? That is the question...

Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm going through the same decision myself. I've been to two AA meetings, and while they are helpful, I'm not sure it is for me. I'm just not a very religious person. I can relate to a lot of the elements of it, but I need something more than faith to keep me sober. I know for many people it works great.

I may try another meeting or two, but I am probably going to try without AA meetings.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Find people with long term sobriety and then do what they do
Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I like whatever gets me thinking (in a good way) and gets me through the day sober
Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It sometimes takes awhile to grasp the difference between spiritual and religious. AA's focus is spiritual. You will find a number of different expressions of this in the rooms of AA. Some people have a spiritual focus which is at its core very religious, but you will find others who are quite different. If you can tolerate being around people with very different view points, you will likely benefit from your experiences there.

What do you really have to loose by checking it out?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I stayed sober for over 5.5 years with AA. My life was good! Drinking alcohol was just a symptom of my disease. My thinking was pretty screwed up too! AA helped me finally feel free and serene.

I stopped going to meetings and relapsed last year. I have been trying to stay sober for several months with everything BUT AA. I finally went back to AA because for me it is the only thing that has ever worked. I need to see people face to face and form friendships with people who are stuggling or have struggles. I feel very alone without the face to face support and phone conversations. That is just MY story. As others have said...different things work for different people. :-) Good luck!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh...and if you have a problems with God...they have Agnostic meetings. I am a Christian but you don't have to be. You just need to believe that there is SOMETHING bigger than you. If can be anything. :-) I hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
There's a wrench for every nut.

Figuring out what kind of nut you are.... That's the time consuming process.

If it's the God stuff in AA that has you concerned, the guy who started it all had the same concerns.

Booze beat those concerns out of him.

Drastic times need drastic measures.
I'm actually the opposite. I need more God in my recovery than AA can offer. I read my bible and go to church when the doors are open. We are all different. I liked AA also because I found a group of accepting people who want to help you stay sober.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

AA works for me (so far) but it is all about the commitment to stop. If you have the commitment, you can do it, AA or not. My advice is just go to a couple of meetings and if you don't like it, don't go back, but stay sober. For me it is about being able to take a piece of everyone's story and use it to help in my own situation. This is great place to be too, if you do not like AA.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Clansfan View Post
Hi. Sober now for ten days.
Does anyone know many people who have stayed off the booze without AA?
Something about AA just doesn't sit right with me.
Wondered my chances of staying sober without it...
Any views/comments very welcome. 👍
AA has kept me sober for 3 years now. I do have friends who are sober and don't use AA. It works for some, not all. But I promise you they won't tie you up and scalp you if you decide to have a sit in and give it a try. :P
Old 12-03-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I never considered it with any sincerity because groups aren't my thing. I rarely attend church but I'm privately spiritual in my own way. At first the idea of being powerless over a bottle of liquid stopped me from even thinking it made sense then.... I was fortunate to read a post here stating a posters opinion that the powerless term dealt with your state after you decided to give in and relapse. If you don't choose to drink you hold the power until you change your mind. That struck a chord with me and I altered my view. I'm in charge until I willingly choose not to be. Ah-ha. So now I see AA differently. I still ain't going but I see the philosophy with a more open point of view. Thanks to simply reading others willingness to share their experiences. If I lost my ability to consistently make the right choices then AA may be a great place. There is plenty of evidence that it works for thousands.