Notices

This is harder the second time around

Old 12-01-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy This is harder the second time around

I haven't had any urges to drink yet, but more than 3 days since my last episode, and I am still feeling almost as hungover and anxious as I did on day 1. I guess I was more dependent on the alcohol than I thought, even though I rarely drank more than twice a week.

The first time I quit with very few physical consequences. I had the usual hangover and a bit of brain fogginess for a few weeks.

This time I have had sweats, shakes, vomiting, constant nausea, fatigue and last night I only slept about 2 hours. They were 2 awful hours of restless, nightmarish sleep.

The thing is, I would just hunker down, grab some water, blankets and books and stay inside until this passed but... I am a stay at home Mom. My kid (18 mo) gets up at dawn whether I want to or not. He demands of me even when I have to run to the toilet. I feel like this is adding to my anxiety.

I know there is nothing to do but be strong and let this pass. I just needed to vent because this has been a trying morning to say the least.

I can't even choke down my beloved coffee due to nausea.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it is harder...but that should really impress upon you the need to make this the last time you ever have to feel this way

It's rough, but you can get through it - and you will feel better DP
Use all the support you have - if you feel really unwell why not see a Dr?

D
Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Double
Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It isn't going to get any easier the longer you keep drinking.
My late stage hangovers were full of remorse anxiety and fear, not to mention the physical ailments as you mentioned.
The good news is, you never have to feel this way again if you don't drink.
I went through ten years of the effects you mention, so save yourself some misery and quit now. Your little one needs you present. And you need to do this for yourself as well.

Hope things are better soon.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was given the idea to write down exactly how bad it is in those first weeks. It is a good exercise, and something I can look back upon to help when I forget.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate. Im detoxing right now, withdrawl is hell. This is about the 12th time I've gone through it over the years.luckily this was only a 4 day binge. Don't give up. It doesn't always take the first time. I always ask myself why i do this to myself. But after a month or two I forget this feeling.... I think I'll be heading to a meeting once I stop throwing up.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As Dee touched on, this can be the LAST time you have to go through this. I appreciate the post it's a good reminder for all of us that our disease is of a progressive nature.

Get well, your family and YOU are so worth it!!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, DoPerdition. My addiction experience is not with alcohol, so I can't even begin to imagine the physical element of withdrawal from such a built-up physical dependence.

I just wanted to let you know that I have total respect for you in your dedication to being aware of what your body is going through. I think that type of recognition of symptoms, including those that are physical as well as mental and emotional, is a huge part of recovery.

I sincerely wish you the best, my friend. I know that you can succeed in your sobriety!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I want to make a few posts while I am still in this physical hell so I can look back and remember how awful I feel now. I don't want to be back here again but I remember how easy it is to forget the bad stuff.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoPerdition View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I want to make a few posts while I am still in this physical hell so I can look back and remember how awful I feel now. I don't want to be back here again but I remember how easy it is to forget the bad stuff.
I think it's a very good idea! Today, I red my first posts on this board and it got me right where I was 70 days ago when I stopped completely... we read and we remember! beleive me! It gave me so much strenght... strenght that you will also need, because beleive it or not, even if time makes a good job with the recovery part, it also make you forget how miserable your life can be!! After many many weeks... the battle still continu and we need all the strenght that we can get... This board can be a wonderfull tool!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's the progression of the disease that your symptoms are worse this time.

Make this work for you so you can be the person you want to be and the best Mom, too.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good advice above

Make a plan for your sobriety

Acceptance is key