Notices

excersise during withdrawal

Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

excersise during withdrawal

Hi all,

Im say 7 sober, went through a lit of anxiety, panic attacks, nausea.

Im on the way up, feel a little yuk at times. Just wondering when you introduced exercise and what it was like for you?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi mrjustin.

Congratulations on day 7.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You posted in our Daily Support forum - you'll get more response here mrjustin.
Congrats on 7 days

Your mileage may vary but by a week I was usually ok to do most of my routine exercise things again

D
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to wait about two weeks to exercise. My blood pressure near the end reached "stroke level" according to my doctor. 181 or 182 over something during a panic attack in her office. I had to let my nervous system calm down before working out.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi mrjustin - great on 7 days

Sadly, I lived a very sedentary life during the last 3-4 years of my drinking. I actually moved to a new place ~a year before I quit drinking, as part of my self-inflicted "treatment" of a bad depressive episode, and started walking to work and back home daily - that's an hour of walking for me in total. I still do it whenever the weather is good enough.

About a month after getting sober, I started running outside (mostly outside, not much in gym, I tend to go to the gym only when I travel and I'm in a hotel). I was a long distance runner also in my youth, did cross country races etc, so it's been a pretty enjoyable activity for me to resume. Then started taking yoga classes (another old interest, but this one I never explored much until my recent sobriety this year). There is hardly a day now when I don't do at least one of these (walking, running, yoga). Again, it was ~one month into sobriety when I started.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on a week sober
Old 12-01-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
totfit

Now is a good time to start. Do what you can depending on your current health and level of fitness. You don't have to "hurry up" to get super fit or reach any certain level. You have the rest of your life to carry out an healthy lifestyle. Exercise for me is the key to both physical..........AND mental health and likely the primary factor in my continuing sobriety.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started at about 5 days after withdrawls were gone and i was off the medication. Exercise is an excellent way of speeding up recovering. It will increase blood flow to all vital organs speeding up toxin removal. As an added benefit it will give increased energy and uplifted mood. Just begin easy and build on it. Great job!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober

I'm on day 6. My exercise consists of going for a walk a lot. I love the cold and being outside. It really helps with the withdrawal. My withdrawal is almost completely mental and the walks really help me feel better both physically and mentally.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's always a good time to start....

I never stopped exercising, feeling withdrawal symptoms or not, I was at the gym doing my thing, sweating this poison out...

I notice a major rise in physical condition around the 3rd week of sobriety, crazy energy and stamina at the gym!!

Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started walking on Day 1 and haven't stopped yet.

Long walks in the early days did so much for my emotional state. They helped me to reconnect with nature, to pay attention to my body, and to just be quiet and think.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey mrjustin-
Just wondering when you introduced exercise and what it was like for you?
I was actually active before I stopped, and I continued through the withdrawals. At the time I was doing some hard hill cycling.

However, during the first week or so it was pretty strange (and looking back, dumb of me). I was very unsteady on the rides and not really able to focus. I also had some very minor hallucinations. Specifically, I would see, out of the corner of my eye, what appeared to be something about to cross in front of me, such as a person or an animal. They were exactly like when I worked a graveyard shift, where I drove at night while very tired. We use to call them "graveyard ghosts." These were the illusions that sort of appeared as we were in a tired daze.

So, for me I'd say after a full week I would have been fine. Looking back I should have waited, but I thought the cardio would help me sleep better.

Lusher
Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 7!!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

7 days is fantastic!!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober weeks! I do a lot of walking, both with my dogs and without. It's low stress exercise and does a world of good. Not only does it improve your physical health, it helps improve your attitude too.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm trying to get back in shape too. I ran for 20 minutes then did 3 sets on the bench and almost passed out. I'll go easier next time but I felt like I needed to prove to myself that my body was stronger than I thought. I do not recommend this.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A couple of days for me. After the initial horrific hangover I start with some light cardio, I have a stationary bike at home that I use. One of my big problems during the first week or so of not drinking is not being able to sleep. Wearing myself out a little bit physically helps with that.

Pushups and some light dumbbell work 2X a week, stationary bike 5X a week. Would like to get back in to jogging and doing some heavy lifting days, but I've not only gained weight over the last couple of years but my muscles have atrophied. Probably be a couple of months before I'm ready to really hit it hard.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My only worry would be the loss of electrolytes in the first coupla days. For me there was sweating aplenty at first. One could possibly deplete faster than they could replenish. It has taken me 4 months to get up to 3/4 mile at full incline on my treadmill every other day but exercising willingly is a relatively new concept to me. I always feel better afterwards. From what I've read here serious exercise has helped many in their recovery.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all, im at day 9 and want to start but still feel bit nausea foggy feeling bit yukky
Old 12-03-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hijack and double post! Yesterday I pushed through and did a mile in 18:13 on full incline! I'm more stoked about this than coming up on 6 months. It's not a lot but it is measurable progress in a time-frame I can see (I tend to like things NOW). I wish I had started sooner.