Notices

Being Human

Old 11-30-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being Human

Okay, this is going to sound cheesy as he11. But I just finished watching the show Being Human.

It's a pretty typical show about vampires, werewolves, and zombies. As much as I hate the Twilight ilk I watched the first episode because I was bored. I kept watching because the vampire was such a blatant analogy for alcoholism and that theme stayed throughout the entire series. It sounds cheesy but it was almost inspirational to watch. Seeing the parallels of struggling with the urge to "drink" and dealing with the mistakes of our past caused, and exacerbated, by drinking.

Anyway, if you're bored like I was and looking for something to watch, it's on Netflix. It's kind of a fun instance of art imitating life. It's not heavy like shows about literal alcoholics of substance abusers, but I definitely got something from it.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's pretty good, although that ghost-chic got annoying.

Bunnez
Old 11-30-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
It's pretty good, although that ghost-chic got annoying.

Bunnez
LOL she drove me nuts!
Old 11-30-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Ooh, the British (Canadian really) or American one? I love that show!

I think thirst thing and cleaning up your past, which I agree is purposefully modeled off of alcoholism, came from Buffy which I think came from Interview with a Vampire. Not that I've thought about this stuff before. Insert sheepish grin.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I liked the first season of the uk one
Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
Ooh, the British (Canadian really) or American one? I love that show!

I think thirst thing and cleaning up your past, which I agree is purposefully modeled off of alcoholism, came from Buffy which I think came from Interview with a Vampire. Not that I've thought about this stuff before. Insert sheepish grin.
The US version (which I think was filmed in Canada). I might have to check out the UK version now that I have no more US ones to watch.

I share your sheepish grin :P I have an affinity for really cheesy shows. Almost anything on the CW is a guilty pleasure. The whole addiction analogy is just an added bonus.

Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Ahh. The good ol CW..... I watch some of those too. I will watch anything supernatural. And I agree, the soundtrack is good.

I love the British version. The characters are dorkier which I think makes them more endearing but I didn't care for the last season.

If you like cheese and such, have you seen In the Flesh on BBC? I like that one too.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
Ahh. The good ol CW..... I watch some of those too. I will watch anything supernatural. And I agree, the soundtrack is good.

I love the British version. The characters are dorkier which I think makes them more endearing but I didn't care for the last season.

If you like cheese and such, have you seen In the Flesh on BBC? I like that one too.
LOL I'm the same way with supernatural shows. And the music on CW shows makes them all the more watchable. I hate to admit it but I even like Beauty & the Beast.

I'll have to check out the UK version. Dorks are great. Of course it didn't hurt that the vampire in the US version is insanely hot
Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Lol not my type now the ghost.....
Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

being human a bad excuse for doing wrong things

Mountainmanbob