Notices

I guess it's time but I'm afraid

Old 11-30-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I guess it's time but I'm afraid

So this is my first day here. I guess God brought me here since I've been asking him to help me with this. I drink vodka just about daily and have on and off for about nine years. Within recent months I've felt alcohol affecting me and who I've become more and more. My husband also drinks daily(a few beers) and I think part of what has made me hesitant to stop drinking is because I think our relationship will change as I'm different when I don't drink and I don't always like who he is when he drinks as well as the smell of it( go figure). I think I'd made up my mind I was going to stop for the new year but within the last week or so I've been getting headaches daily either shortly after I start drinking or the next day and it's making me nervous so I've decided to stop now. I'm scared but I know this is best for me. My mom and dad were both drug addicts and I need to know that I'm stronger than them. God knows my children mean much more to me than my brother and I ever did to them.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome ! You made a great choice!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Welcome! I've talked to a lot of people on here with spouses who still drink. You'll find a lot of advice and companionship.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is one of the best places you can come for help , everyone is non judgmental , I've relapsed twice since I've been on and there always friendly when I return
Old 11-30-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, Welcome!!!
Keep posting!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on y0ur decision to live a sober life!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome, Nice to meet you have a look around youl find tons of support
Old 11-30-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too sent my quit date to the new year but I'm just so sick of it that I've been trying sooner than that. I'm back on day 3. We can do this!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Timetochange38 View Post

I was going to stop for the new year but within the last week or so I've been getting headaches daily either shortly after I start drinking or the next day and it's making me nervous so I've decided to stop now.
welcome and from the sounds of it -- this would be an excellent time in which to get and stay sober.

Join us here often -- this site is a sober ones blessing.

MM
Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feeling afraid is completely understandable. It's a big change at first. You'll never regret not drinking.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am back again. I had 100 days under my belt before I relapsed for 9 months. Today's is day 2.

My spouse is a casual drinker. The first time I quit, I did not set any boundaries for him as far as drinking in the house or around me etc.

For me, this was a mistake. It was too much temptation. This time he has agreed to keep it out of the house and away from me completely.

The last 9 months have made it very clear to me what the difference between an alcoholic and a casual drinker is. He might pour one drink. He sips it. He truly enjoys it. He usually then washes his glass and goes on with his night. He might have two or three at a party.

I have 4 drinks with him. Then when he goes to bed, I keep drinking until I pass out or run out. I can't have one. I don't enjoy just one. I can't just walk away.

I have decided I can't compare my drinking to anyone else. Yes, he still drinks sometimes but he can handle having a drink. I have to just focus on my relationship with alcohol because that is all I can really control and I can only control it by not drinking.

Best of luck and welcome. The people here are very wise and they really care.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did you explain that to him ? its hard for casual drinkers to understand that we can't have just one , unless you mean one gallon and even then that may not be enough , your deffinetly on the right track by knowing that you don't want just one , and 2 you've realised its pointless to compare your drinking with anyone elses
Old 12-01-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the family, time2change

You won't regret it and your children will love having a sober mum.

it's natural to be scared, we will support you.