Notices

I am new here/opiates

Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new here/opiates

I am very new to this sort of thing. I just recently told my parents that I'm an addict, and I suppose that coming out to them with this info has given me a new sense of openness to outside help with my problem. I started out as a drinker years ago, but now I have moved past drinking to painkillers/opiates. I used to drink whiskey...so much whiskey until I ended up with ulcers and was vomiting blood almost daily... Eventually I was able to overcome the drinking addiction, but not soon after I began taking opiates/painkillers. My drug of choice is h, (up the nose, not IV). I have been an opiate addict for over 3 years now, and I can not seem to overcome my addiction. Several times I have gotten clean for a few days here and there, but I always give in and relapse. I can not afford medical treatment for my problem, and every time I try to quit cold turkey, my will just is not strong enough to get through the sickness. Even when I do get past the sickness, the deep, deep, depression that follows always gets to me and I end up using again. Has anyone here had success without medical treatment, and does anyone have any advice? When I started using I felt like I could handle it, and never expected to become as addicted as I am, but the stress is so overwhelming, and I am quickly realizing that I need help.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Pallas! I don't know much about drug addiction. While I used to dabble with drugs booze was always my DOC. But I'm sure someone will have some good advice.

I'm glad you found SR, Pallas.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I've dabbled with various opiates and think I might have an inclination there, but alcohol has always been the big one for me.

Good luck, you'll get lots of support and advice here. See you around the forums.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Pallas!!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum
Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
I can not seem to overcome my addiction ..... Several times I have gotten clean for a few days here and there, but I always give in and relapse ..... I am quickly realizing that I need help.
Palls ... welcome to this brilliant and pretty massive place of support you have found here! well done on starting to get honest with yourself and others about your problems. regarding what i have quoted from you above, i hope the following helps:

it was only when i realised the drugs were not the problem that i made any progress. if i kept tackling the drug problem it was always bound to resurface. when i stopped using drugs this time, i was given an amazing opprtunity to deal with the real problem . the real problem for me is that i am an addict by nature (or whatever makes me an addict) and i crave a quick-fix solution to my struggles. there are no quick fixes. my struggles are with simply being human - i struggle with relationships with others, with feelings, emotions, my thoughts. Narcotics Anonymous, AA and this site, like-minded people and a program of recovery have been fundamental in my new life. hardore honesty with myself and a willingness to open up my mind to new ideas and readiness to do whatever was required were (and are) vital to me.

good luck on this journey with us Pallas and i hope to hear from you again
Old 12-03-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support guys, I really feel like I made the right decision joining this forum. You guys are all very honest and open, and I really need more of that in my life. I've spent too much of my life making excuses, and not being honest with myself or others, and I really feel that I can be open here and not be ashamed to talk about my problems. I have always had a difficult time talking about my problems with others, even family, because I was embarrassed or ashamed, or was afraid of being judged. I'm just beginning to realize that if I am going to have any success in beating my addiction, I'm going to have to be open to letting others help instead of being stubborn and thinking I can handle it all myself; because I can't.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. You'll find so much support here. Use it to help yourself get clean for good.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good attitude you have there Pallas

Trust me it gets easier

If you would have said 2 years ago id be on a sobriety forum one day talking about my alcoholism i would never have believed you

yet here i am

its always possible my friend
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's awesome that you are reaching out! When I finally got honest about my issues I found my way to AA and NA meetings. It's an awesome way to get support from people who struggle with what we are going through. With the program and this site I have 6 months clean and sober for the first time in my adult life. I hope you find your way!