SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Courage needed (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/352053-courage-needed.html)

pattyspaw 11-29-2014 06:31 AM

Courage needed

I need to find the courage to ask for help at a meeting.

OklaBH 11-29-2014 06:34 AM

Go early to the meeting. Ask for an "old timer" to help you.

SR is here too! What's going on?

Chillly 11-29-2014 06:39 AM

Thing like this are never as hard as we make them out to be. Just keep in mind that after you make the first step, everything will be easier. You will be glad you did it, and you'll realize that it was much easier than you imagined.

24hrsAday 11-29-2014 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by pattyspaw (Post 5046318)
I need to find the courage to ask for help at a meeting.

the meeting BEFORE the meeting might be a good idea to find someone willing to help too..

pattyspaw 11-29-2014 06:42 AM

I've never been good at asking for help but I really want to stop drinking; I'm tired of this merry go round; I want to be happy again; today is my day 1 and I'm scared

24hrsAday 11-29-2014 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by pattyspaw (Post 5046340)
I've never been good at asking for help but I really want to stop drinking; I'm tired of this merry go round; I want to be happy again; today is my day 1 and I'm scared

AA has helped me greatly pattyspaw. it can help you as well.

Dee74 11-29-2014 01:29 PM

Ask for help Pattypaw. You'll be glad you did :)

D

desypete 11-29-2014 01:41 PM

the hardest thing i ever did was to humble myself enough to ask for help, but i am so glad i did

it really is one of the hardest things to do is to ask for help and to let people help, i always thought i could do everything on my own and that i didnt need help i was to proud and it got in the way
so well done and good luck to you

MIRecovery 11-29-2014 02:26 PM

When a person helps you stay sober you are helping them stay sober. When you ask someone for help you are do them a favor. One leg of the AA triangle is Service and working with others is the most important service work there is

Soberwolf 11-29-2014 02:53 PM

Ask for help its a game changer youl be glad you did

good luck friend

JanieJ 11-29-2014 03:30 PM

You could ask Great Spirit for the courage, Patty x

Kero 11-29-2014 03:32 PM

I went to my first meeting last week. I walked in not knowing what to expect. A few members saw my "deer in headlights" look and came over and introduced themselves. They were super nice and there was no pressure or stress. Just me and a few other people talking who happen to share a common problem.

I'm a very quiet, shy person myself. I don't "talk about my feelings" much. However the atmosphere there got me to open up a bit on my first day when I never planned on it.

I thought AA would be all negative, but it was the opposite. Just go... sit in the back if you want. Good luck.

pattyspaw 11-29-2014 03:45 PM

thank you all for the words of wisdom; I've been to a lot of meetings and just sit there; it's time for action if I want to change

Jsbodhi 11-29-2014 03:51 PM

Well you can't be worse than me! I cried the first time I spoke ;)

Anna 11-29-2014 03:58 PM

That sounds like a good plan, Patty.

And, don't forget that there is always support here.

BlueSkiesAhead 11-29-2014 04:08 PM

Hello pattyspaw,
Keep attending and maybe be the one who suggests the opening topic. Your topic to get the ball rolling can be, "I'm new, and afraid to ask for help", then just let it flow, or pass after opening with that. I can guarantee, many people will identify with you, and will help. It is hard to ask for help initially, but remember we all share the same connection, that of our addiction. We have all been where you are at, every one of us.
Note to jsbodhi. Crying only means you are getting real, and in touch with the real you. That's why the big hole is between the tables, dump all of that emotion in there. I have been to many meetings where new people cried their eyes out. To me that shows that they are really dealing with what is in their heart, the addiction is in our heads. The heart will keep us sober, we all know how reliable the head is! We cannot do this alone, and maintain sobriety for very long. It is a revolving door otherwise. Attending meetings, and posting here on SR will keep you on track.
Pattyspaw, maybe asking someone at the meetings you can relate to, to be your sponsor, or temporary sponsor can break the ice for you. Then they are available whenever you need. I wish you the very best, you deserve it!