Notices

Reflecting on 40 days

Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reflecting on 40 days

Good morning everyone,

I wanted to post this morning as I feel like this is the first time I am really hitting a bit of a wall on the journey of giving up alcohol.

I recently posted about anxiety issues and thank you all for the advice which I will implement and I'll go see my doctor.

I have been doing well of late and shrugged off any negative feelings but everything seems to of hit me the last couple of days.

I am sleeping in each morning- I have brushed this off and put it down to part of the recovery but it is hindering me as I am sometimes late for work. I can't seem to help it though, despite setting my alarm and having the best intentions.

I can see glimpses of promise, I've discovered how to laugh again and I have good energy at times but it is sometimes matched by a loss of energy afterward. (I'm not manic by any stretch of the imagination but I recognise in myself when I'm having a burst of energy and when I'm tiring ) I read the PAWS article and relate some of my feelings to this.

I guess in summary what I'm saying is this is damn hard. I'm not going to drink - not a chance. I'm proud of myself doing 40 days now, I've just come to the realisation that this is tough, difficult feelings and sensations to manage mean it's a roller coaster.

My next goal is to improve my diet and increase exercise.

Thanks for all your continue support, this has been my main source since quitting and I have come to value it for many reasons.

It's a scary world sometimes, things happen, life changes, you can feel overwhelmed like it's passing you by. I'm lucky, I have a lovely family, amazing girlfriend and daughter and I'm thankful for all those things.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on 40 days. you will start to see improvement, just stick with it, a healthy diet and exercise regime will definitely help
Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"My next goal is to improve my diet and increase exercise"

Nice, this is a great place to start. Your body took a beating, give it a chance to recover. If like me, after 20 years of abuse, I think it will take a while for things to readjust.

Well done of 40 days btw! I see a sober Christmas ahead. Ho ho ho!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats stewy

D
Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done Stewy

I'm at about the same mark and feeling similar.

You're doing just fine, my friend- you're sober !
Old 11-29-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 40 days sober!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 40 days! That's great. Things will keep improving, and it really does get better / easier, it just takes time. Keep up the great work.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Stewy

Keep up the fantastic work bud
Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
learning to live

Awesome Stewy!!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Stewy84- Nice work with the 40 days. That's a great step forward!!!

I also felt a bit like you have described in the beginning. It does improve with time, at least in my case.
My next goal is to improve my diet and increase exercise.
I just can't stress enough how important this is, especially for people in early recovery. I know I'm a broken record with as much as I comment on this topic, but for me it was really the only way I was able to make it this far, without too much of a problem. I think if you decide to move forward with this approach, then you might also feel benefits, which might make things easier for you as well.

I wish you the best with your continued progress.

Lusher
Old 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

well done on 40 days Stewy!

If it helps - I know exactly where you are - I reckon we're on the same rollercoaster.............

.............but I can see a massive drop to the bottom if we get off just now!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cheers guys,

I'm realising you have to work, work at yourself and keep your mind active.

I feel burnt out at the minute, might be down to work but just not quite sure at present
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

Im realising I need to keep working at myself to get the outcomes I want

I feel burnt out right now though, need to reboot but not quite sure how at present
Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Stewy84,
Congratulations on 40 days! It does take time, but will get so much better. Be kind to yourself, you deserve that. Keep in touch with your emotions, and for me anger and anxiety were the worst triggers to use. Your body recovers fairly quickly, but it takes our brains a little longer to get used to dealing with life sober. You are right, it is very hard, but keep your eye on the prize. Remember SOBER = Son Of a B*** Everything's Real. It takes us a while to deal with that without our old friend.
Wish you the best!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 40 days! I agree that it does get better. Rest and recovery may be what you need right now. Also, perhaps tapping in with activities and dreams that have taken a backseat will help your joie de vivre return?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
Thanks guys,

Im realising I need to keep working at myself to get the outcomes I want

I feel burnt out right now though, need to reboot but not quite sure how at present
I'd recommend 8-9 hours of sleep every night. Many people get too little sleep, and sleep is very healthy and healing. Also, instead of expecting your recovery and your energy to be something different than it is, just accept it where it's at. You are on the right road, and progress doesn't proceed at the same pace on the road. Some stretches of road take all day to get a half mile. Other stretches we can do 5 miles in a day. Feel good about your effort. Your energy will come back, your body needs more time. Don't beat yourself up because you have an idea of where your body should be. That just wears you out more.
40 days! Amazing!!