Notices

Nauseated by alcohol

Old 11-28-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nauseated by alcohol

Strangest thing! When I smell my old drink of choice, wine, I feel nauseated. I still have cravings at times and drinking sounds appealing to me but the smell is unbearable to me. By the way, I'm not complaining, this is a huge gift to me! Wondering if this happened to anyone wakes?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Yes, I am very sensitive to the smell of it (white wine for me) and it's quite repellent. Hope that feeling of revulsion stays with me.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just curious why you are "smelling" it in the first place.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you keep sniffing it and being around it, the euphoric recall will come back. Meaning, you will try it and probably like it. Trust me, I WAS a serial relapser.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I still get nauseated at the smell, even though I'm seldom around it. I can still remember the smell of whiskey as if it were right in front of me. It makes me ill.
And mind you, this is after being sober for three years eleven months.
I hope I never forget that smell, it brings back such horrible memories.
Let someone else drink. I'm through.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Totally this
Old 11-29-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Not sure about the OP, but I can smell it sometimes as soon as I walk in a restaurant and, especially, if I'm sitting down for dinner in one that serves wine. I'm not deliberately finding situations where this happens but it DOES happen.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I smell it in the car sometimes when picking up my son and it makes me gag. It's funny because the ex used to trigger me with his drinking but the son doesn't. xx
Old 11-29-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some of us don't live cloistered lives. I go to reataraunts that serve liquor. My sister drinks wine. I smelled beer on the breath of my nieghbor yeaterday.
I've been to bars with friends. And, no, it doesn't trigger me. And no I'm not going to take a drink while those around me are.
I've got a decent time sober and I know that alcohol is my enemy. Let people drink it doesn't frighten me any more.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After Thanksgiving dinner there was a leftover glass of red wine at the table, I sat down and could smell it so strongly from a seat away. It made me nauseous too. I had to move to get away from the smell. I get what you're saying.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Not sure about the OP, but I can smell it sometimes as soon as I walk in a restaurant and, especially, if I'm sitting down for dinner in one that serves wine. I'm not deliberately finding situations where this happens but it DOES happen.
Yes, ^^ this, exactly. I don't think the OP was saying they were seeking it out. I too have this experience and I am highly sensitive to the smell. Like Ophelia, I also get particularly nauseated at the smell of white wine, which was my drink of choice. If a waiter goes by with a tray of white wine in glasses, I smell it immediately. Beer on someone's breath also gets me a little queasy. I'm frankly glad I am having this reaction because it also works with food as I can smell the alcohol in something almost immediately and have the chance to decide not to put it in my mouth.

But, yes, I think being revolted by the smell is somewhat common.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alexander Supertramp :)

Smelling booze on people is something I notice a lot now. Guess I know what I used to smell like now.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, the smell makes ME sick, too. Whether it's on someone else or whether it's next to me at dinner. At dinner I usually concentrate on the flavors of the food and after a few minutes I don't notice the wine smell so much.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm a musician who still plays in bars and brewpubs. I used to LOVE I.P.A., but now the brewpubs just stink. I'm not nauseated but have lost my desire. Wine smells okay but the alcohol is unappealing. That's a good thing. The smell of booze reminds me of hangovers. That's a good thing.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

okay, so we are not purposely smelling it, I get it. But if one is still in a condition of early sobriety and is affected by the smell of ANYTHING one would be wise to avoid those situations. I remember when the smell of whiskey made me nauseous. It still didn't stop me from taking a deep breath then taking a big swig on the bottle.
The good ole days...
Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I wonder if our brains develop something akin to the anti-AV. The SV? The RV? From time to time, if I drive by one of the liquor stores where I bought the enemy*, I feel a hot wave pass over me, followed by a momentary tinge of nausea. A few weeks ago, it was particularly intense when I needed to pick up something at the same strip mall as one of the shops and had to walk right by the place. For a few seconds, I thought I might throw up right there on the sidewalk. The intensity diminished fairly quickly but it was very real.

Like Ophelia, I'll be quite happy to have this stay with me.

*Because I was so smart I rotated through booze shops so no one would pick up on my "little problem." Denial, in one of its many forms.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was a heavy wine drinker, but like all alcoholic drinks, it's an acquired taste. Maybe we start to regain some of our natural disgust of it, that was lost by association and addiction. I mean, have you ever seen a 9 year old smell wine and say "ummmm, I want some of that!" Really, would anybody ever drink anything alcoholic for it's delicious taste alone?

Fortunately, there are probably few legit wine tasters on SR to call me out on this.

Earlyriser
Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Weirdly, even the thought of smelling wine makes me feel a wee bit sick. I think that's a good thing :=]
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

No i dont like the smell of alcohol

my gf bought pot pourri today apple & cinnamon

i like the smell of that
Old 11-30-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts everyone! I guess I'm not alone. I have no alcohol in my home but as someone else mentioned, I do go out! I noticed it at a restaurant while eating, a whiff from another table I suppose. As I was cleaning up thanksgiving dinner at my parents house I tossed what I thought was water in my sisters paper cup and it was wine! It was a very strong smell and really made me feel ill! I am not a serial relapser and do not believe I will go back to drinking. This is the first time I quit and hopefully my last! I am a couple of days from 6 months and have a long way to go but I like that the smell is sickening to me.