Notices

Jaundice (Liver Issues)

Old 11-28-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Jaundice (Liver Issues)

A little while ago somebody posted a link to a YouTube video titled "Rain in my Heart." I apologize, but I was unable to find the original post. I did, however, bookmark the video and started to watch part of it today.

The video had a segment about a person who is suffering from Jaundice as a result of alcohol abuse, which is an indication of possible liver disease. For anybody that wants to learn more about it, then a simple Google search should do.

Anyhow, the person being depicted had obvious signs of Jaundice, so I thought it might be beneficial to show a quick image of one of the symptoms. This image was taken from the actual video, from a screenshot that I took.

The purpose of posting this is because I'm sure there are people who are unaware of some of the signs of Jaundice, and I thought it might be helpful in case anybody in here might also have some of this going on with themselves. I hope not, but if so, it might be wise to seek medical help ASAP.

Take note of the yellowing in the 'whites' of the eyes. This is a clear indication of a problem that requires attention.

Lusher
Old 11-28-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Lusher - I watched that last night too.

Crazy, it looks like he ingested some kind of poison...wait, he actually did...
Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My first husband, when hospitalized, looked like that. Hugely swollen belly (IIRC, they drained 40 quarts of fluid from his abdomen). His eyes looked like someone had dropped yellow food coloring into them, and his skin was yellow all over.

He also developed what's called hepatic encephalopathy. It's a form of dementia--it was like talking to an Alzheimer's patient.

He got better, was told (after a biopsy--originally told he would need a transplant) he had EARLY cirrhosis and if he quit drinking he should be fine. Sadly, he went back to drinking a few months later. As far as I know, he is still drinking. I don't know how he is still alive, but he has to be in very bad shape.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Ack, correction. Too late to edit.

It was my SECOND husband I was referring to in the previous post. My first husband has been sober almost 35 years.

Sheesh, too many marriages to alcoholics...
Old 11-28-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I should also mention that, back in the day, I've been sure I've been suffering from jaundice cos my eyes or skin 'looked a bit yellow'.

They weren't, and I wasn't.

It's very good to get checked out if you're concerned tho

D
Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good thing to point out. I also recently watched that-it was such a heartbreaking and upsetting documentary-really hard to watch.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I once went to the doctors because I was worried I had jaundice, he assured me if I did people would mention it. It's not a subtle symptom, I've seen it once, he looked like a simpson.