Notices

Hello Everyone!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

New here to Sober Recovery, and I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm 23 years old and I graduated from college last May. My story isn't necessarily that of a "college" kid, just coming out of school and needing to ease up on the partying. I'm not, nor really ever been a "partier".

I drink alone, at home. My drink is vodka (mixed with juice/soda). I drink at MINIMUM 1/2 a bottle (fifth), but have been known to drink nearly the entire thing in one sitting (6-7 hours). I started drinking this heavily about 2-3 years ago, and I've been fairly consistent ever since.

I drink to kill the loneliness, the boredom, the thoughts of not feeling good about myself, never being good enough for other people, etc. etc.

I've reached a point where I cannot continue to go on like this. Drinking is preventing me from making the major changes I want to make in my life, and starting to accomplish certain goals and dreams I have for myself that I play out and romanticize in my head while drinking. The sickest part is that when I'm drunk, dreaming about accomplishing these goals almost feels as good as if I were to accomplish them. The next morning, however, when I look in the mirror I feel like a loser and no that with each passing day I'm only setting myself back.

So that's enough for me. There is much better version of me out there waiting for me and I'd really, really like to meet him.

I'm happy to be here and hope to get to know the SR community!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum Noah

Nice to meet you
Old 11-28-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Noah91!

Glad you found us. Breaking the cycle of addiction needs a first step. And you just did that.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Noah and welcome.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Noah91- A BIG welcome!!!

Your booze history is a bit like mine was. I was at a full fifth before I finally stopped, which is a good thing, as I learned of pending liver problems. So, good for you for taking action.

Things might get a bit rough at first, such as cravings, withdrawals and the like, but spending time in here can certainly help.

I do look forward to seeing you around, and again nice job taking some action. I can assure you that once you get through the adjustments, things will improve.

Lusher
Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Noah;
I drank the same way at the end--vodka and alone at home.

You will feel so much better soon

Welcome to SR
Old 11-28-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Bud!

I can relate to basically everything you've written... You are not alone
Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noah91 View Post
New here to Sober Recovery, and I just wanted to introduce myself.

I drink to kill the loneliness, the boredom, the thoughts of not feeling good about myself, never being good enough for other people, etc. etc.
Welcome Noah - I wish I would have came to such a profound realization at your age - I spent another decade getting worse and worse.

Also, I think you will find that the "loneliness, boredom, thoughts of not feeling good about myself, never being good enough for other people, etc. etc.," are actually a result of the drinking and not necessarily the cause...

Glad you are here.