Notices

I do make myself laugh!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

I do make myself laugh!

Since I got my PhD (Phormer Drunk) I've been guzzling diet fizzy drinks by the pint of an evening.

I just found myself googling to see if there was any truth in the idea that artificial sweeteners in them might be in some way bad for you.....

.......like I gave a toss about the health issues related to the liquid I've been pouring down my neck he last 30 years!
Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey (Dr) Hendrix-

I think when you read up on the fake sweeteners, you might find that they are not so good for you. However, as you elluded to, probably better than the other stuff.

What I did, and still do, is to take some tasty 100% juices and just add enough to some water to flavor it. I was doing it with carbonated water, but I got tired of paying all of that money for water with bubbles, so I cut back to simple H2O. It was boring at first, but I now prefer it. I've also found that if you add some tart juices and make the water cold, it's not too bad. I also think it can actually be pretty healthy, as you keep your system flushed out.

Whatever you choose, it's gotta be better the devil-juice!

Lusher
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did what Lusher did... the fizzy water + juice, plain water, tea, coffee. I ended up ditching my diet Coke. After getting sober, I finally figured out that right after I drank aspartame I got a headache... every time. Plus, it was affecting my moods. My moods were swinging all over the place anyway, so if it wasn't the aspartame, it was the caffeine... if it wasn't the caffeine, it was suger... well, you see where I am going. Basically, my system was super sensitive to anything I ingested.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hendrix, I have been guzzling Diet Coke/Coke Zero by the gallon since I gave up the beer. I know diet colas are not exactly healthy but in the early stages of recovery, anything that replaces my habit of 12 tall cans of beer a night is great. Aspartame never landed me in the drunk tank or in the ER with injuries.

It is odd that I still feel the need to drink carbonated beverages. With time I will switch to water or something. My brain/reward system still seems to crave something fizzy. If there is no booze involved then we are good!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Thanks folks - and Jennie, the headache thing...... I've noticed I've been getting them lately and you've already seen my post about the mood swings and anger!

I'll have to try sticking to more natural drinks - it's just that initially the fizz and sweet taste helped with cravings - it's become a habit already i suppose.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hendrix i drink cranberry juice quite refreshing and a great antioxidant

Or Blueberry juice

you can get these at saisburys for £1

i have the occasional cherry coca cola

Keep up the good work fella
Old 11-28-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like carbonated Lemon/Lime flavored water. I like to feel the burn as it comes down.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's one brand I love... La Croix... they make a coconut flavored carbonated water... smells like tanning oil