Notices

tomorrow fear

Old 12-14-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tomorrow fear

So I've been doing good but so afraid of going back to work an facing the stress of my boss does anyone have any tips?? It seems like everyone my boss goes in on me i come home an get wasted...i don't want to do that again an want to have a plan in place.. any help is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Toni, you seem to post a lot about stress from your job and I sympathize with you because it sounds like a terrible situation. However, you also seem to be letting it get the best of you. If you can't change the situation right now, you should think about treating it as "water off a duck's back" until you can find a different job. Easier said than done but I think you are getting yourself too worked up over it...it's just a job and not worth sabotaging your sobriety over. Be strong.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Tonib.

First, congrats on your sober time!

Sorry your boss is causing so much stress.

My tip may sound a little bit "weird" but it helped me last year when I was going through really tough time, almost was almost throwing up with anxiety.

Every time I faced that person I imagined that his negativity goes through me. I don't have to resist, deal with it - it just passes throw. And someone very strong is standing behind my back and bouncing all this negativity back to that person. And he is bombarded with his own anger and harmful thoughts.

Also, your boss is such a pain in the arse, probably, because he is not content with his own life. Don't let it get you wasted. It's' your life.

Keep your chin up.

You have whole SR rooting for your and your sobriety.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me work always came with stress and that also lead to drinking each evening.

The reality is we need to figure out new ways of dealing with stress, because life is always going to come with ups and downs and we can't keep turning to a bottle every time.

For me going for long walks and getting more exercise each evening after work and at weekends was a great way to clear my mind, I also started to cut down on the caffeine, better diet, more sleep, staying hydrated, green teas in the evening on the wind down to bedtime.

Overall creating a more healthier lifestyle so when the stress kicked in it wasn't as bad as it used to be as my body was in a better state to deal with it.

New tools in the toolbox rather than simply a bottle is the key!!
Old 12-14-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would suggest limiting your conversations to only what is absolutely necessary, and also keeping cool yourself. You mentioned you snapped back the other day, that is exactly what people like her want. If you simply do your job and ignore her as much as possible she'll probably move on to someone else.

In the meantime, what are you doing for your sobriety? That should be your #1 priority.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My suggestion is to work on changing jobs if at all possible.

If not, ignore the woman as much as possible and do your job. If there is verbal abuse, document it and go to her boss with the issue.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Toni, I may have mentioned this before, but work stress was my nemesis and a primary reason for my drinking.

My method (which I admit is not noble) is to think to myself, "I am not going to let THIS so and so be the reason I give up my hard earned sobriety." It is a small shift and may seem silly, but it really works and reminds me that while I cannot control those around me, I can control my reaction to them.

I'd also suggest thinking of some nice treats that you can give yourself tomorrow to help you. A special lunch with a friend, a break in the day for a walk, a movie tomorrow night? Be sure to treat yourself very gently too.