Notices

GI/Stomach Issues

Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

GI/Stomach Issues

This morning I'm pretty depressed, largely about my physical health.

I am paying the price for years of alcohol abuse. I've previously been diagnosed with esophagitis and fatty liver. I have also suffered from pain and discomfort throughout my abdomen over the past year, and to-date the CT scans and other tests have failed to identify the cause.

I pretty much quit drinking on the second of this month, with one relapse on the 21st. What makes this so bad is that I feel worse that how I did while drinking. It used to be that if I quit drinking for a few days the discomfort would go away. And, the discomfort was never as bad as it has been the past five days.

I know I'm to blame for this, and I can't expect damage from years of drinking to disappear overnight. I just am depressed at the realization maybe things went too far this time, and that the physical damage might be permanent.

Tomorrow I'm contacting my doctor to schedule additional testing . . . it's depressing though. And angering. And exhausting. I can't stop thinking about how I've damaged my body.

Anyway, enough venting.

I would love to hear from others who have suffered similarly. It is helpful to know you're not alone (so to speak).

- rjask
Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it goes well at the docs and well done on day 6 bud
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, try to be encouraged at how the human body heals itself, provided the conditions are conducive to healing (ie not drinking), so have hope you will improve. I would also say that things can change or be unrelated to previous problems so if there is no improvement, go to your doctor and get some bloods etc done.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck at the doctor. The body is a strong thing. Fortunately, it is built for idiots like us to abuse the heck out of it. I thought for sure I had some permanent damage, but my tests so far have been good. I thought for sure I had messed something up my last few times. I was in tons of pain and had all sorts of issues.

Think positive and remember that every day sober is another day where you will feel a little better than the day before.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had real bad stomach problems, almost constant pain in my lower left side. and was diagnosed with acid reflux, they took a look from both ends. last colonoscopy I asked the doc if they needed to check my esophagus, he said no, they already know whats wrong. Put me on a pill. I don't take anything for it at all now. In fact I take no medications.
stomach pains were difficult over the past few years. always had some discomfort.

I have 11 months without a drink tomorrow. stomach pains and bowel discomfort went away at least 8 months ago. acid reflux and discomfort went away too a little later - change of intake and time to heal the stomach and throat.

keep in mind, I drank beer constantly and rotated between bourbon and vodka daily the last year, prior to that I also drank tequila like some people drank wine.

I was in constant pain in the stomach for a couple years. Now, nothing bothers me.
But I have always been sensitive to greasy food.

Not allowed to give medical advice here, but I suppose I can say don't get hooked on the purple pill or similar. In MY OPINION it does more harm than good - and you'll have to take it FOREVER. The withdrawal from those 'medicines' is worse than heroin.
Good luck.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Not allowed to give medical advice here, but I suppose I can say don't get hooked on the purple pill or similar. In MY OPINION it does more harm than good - and you'll have to take it FOREVER. The withdrawal from those 'medicines' is worse than heroin.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice and support . . . and, I understand the prohibition on medical advice. I've been seeing clinicians about this for too long unfortunately, the entire time misrepresenting to them the extent of my alcoholism.

I was given a prescription for the purple pill, and I think that made things worse. I am avoiding that like the plague right now, focusing on health eating, drinking plenty of water, and not eating at night.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rjask View Post
Thanks for the advice and support . . . and, I understand the prohibition on medical advice. I've been seeing clinicians about this for too long unfortunately, the entire time misrepresenting to them the extent of my alcoholism.

I was given a prescription for the purple pill, and I think that made things worse. I am avoiding that like the plague right now, focusing on health eating, drinking plenty of water, and not eating at night.
Don't underestimate health professionals. Obviously you should be honest, but I know I wasn't at a time and they still knew. The body doesn't lie even if we do.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can I ask what the purple pill is ?

I had bad acid reflux , alcohol and acid diet it can give an ulcer.

What will help is an alkaline diet, drop coffee and if you can cut some ginger up and put in in a bottle of water...

Alcohol is very acid,
Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suffered from terrible gastric issues and was convinced that I had cancer. Nope, was just from drinking straight vodka every day. Took about three months but things are returning to normal. I'm glad your seeing a doctor. It will make you feel better to know what's going on and get on a healing path. Just remember that your body needs NO alcohol in order to heal. I have started keeping a journal and the first few entries detailed how terrible my body felt during recovery. When I am tempted to drink I read it. This has only been fir the last week but its helping me keep my head straight.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Regarding the purple pill, tell your doctor. I have an allergy to Zantac and when I was taking it I dropped my blood pressure dangerously low. We found an alternative that worked for me. Your doctor will help you but can't unless you tell him.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I still suffer from digestive issues. I drink ensure and a fiber drink. I don't know how long it will take for the " dead space" in my intestine to wake up. Sorry you're going through it!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It took me 3 or 4 months to start really feeling decent again. It just takes time. But your body can do quite a bit of healing if you give it the chance. Just stay sober.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
It took me 3 or 4 months to start really feeling decent again. It just takes time. But your body can do quite a bit of healing if you give it the chance. Just stay sober.
Thank you . . . I am committed to my sobriety. I had a miserable day at work and home last week and gave into my AV. Other than that I've managed to keep focused on my recovery.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kero View Post
Don't underestimate health professionals. Obviously you should be honest, but I know I wasn't at a time and they still knew. The body doesn't lie even if we do.
Unfortunately my doctors didn't know . . . I worked with them, and was highly visible leader at the hospital. I downplayed my alcohol consumption partially because I didn't want them knowing I was drinking. I worried about keeping it private.

I don't work at that hospital anymore, so I feel much more comfortable being truthful now.

Kicking myself for dealing with this earlier. I just ate lunch and my abdomen is on fire. I probably have IBS as well . . . anyway, it'll be good to discuss things honestly tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol caused a lot of stomach problems for me, and Sobriety cleared many of them up!!

Hope all goes well at the Dr!!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I suffered from stomach issues for years, and a bit after I stopped drinking...I think they're well within the realm of normal now tho.

Generally, the vast majority of things improve as long as you stay sober

D
Old 11-27-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willdoit View Post
Can I ask what the purple pill is ?
Prilosec (Omeprazole) is called "the purple pill in commercials here.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I suffered from stomach issues for years, and a bit after I stopped drinking...I think they're well within the realm of normal now tho.

Generally, the vast majority of things improve as long as you stay sober

D
Gosh I hope so . . . I feel like there's a creature living inside me at the moment.

And, I am absolutely committed to my sobriety. Feeling like this has scared the sh*t out of me.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have stomach and gut issues of long standing. They can be very painful and like you at times I have had constant pain and discomfort. At first when I stopped drinking it was worse. But I am glad to say it is getting better. I have fewer bad days than I used to.

If they rule out anything organic and say you have "ibs" you will need to clean up your diet. I would go on an elimination program - wheat, dairy, coffee, fruit, gas forming vegetables, sugars, red meat and fatty food are the usual offenders. Enteric coated peppermint is also very helpful.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All of my stomach and digestive issues were directly caused by my alcohol consumption and are all gone now that I've been sober with the exception of the occasional acid reflux. I found a new doctor when I got sober and was really honest with her and it has really helped me with being accountable in my sobriety as I know she is going to ask how things have been going.