Notices

Back again...

Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again...

I'm not sure why I keep coming here. Maybe it's because it's a place I can vent, say things I can't say to my friends.

The sad truth is I don't even like drinking that much. With the exception of nights out at bars, I don't like how it makes me feel. I have no idea why I drink at home. Boredom I guess. And even the fun nights I have out at bars are met with a horrible hangover the next morning, lots of times with someone I don't want in the bed next to me.

I wish I could tell my friends these things, but more so, I wish I had friends who could hear these things.

I told one friend about my struggles. He was supportive for a while and pushed me to go for a week sober. It helped but it didn't last. I don't fault him. This isn't his fight and it's not something he understands. He's also someone who regularly goes out to bars. I swear, being a gay man sets you up for alcoholism and it sucks.

Still, I'm not blaming anyone but myself for my actions. I made myself an alcoholic, not the gay community. But I watch my sister, predisposed to the same behavior and just as much of a party animal as me, raising a kid and kicking the bottle for the sake of her child and it makes me wish I could have done the same when I was her age, way back when. And of course, that makes me want to drink and forget the fact that I'll never have that kind of family.

I don't know if I have a point in this rambling post. I just know this is a safe place for me to ramble. I guess I'm just hoping to find someone who understands, maybe even someone nearby. The internet is a great outlet, and I think it's great that we have sites like this. But as a product of the 80s and 90s, the two dimensionality of the internet only goes so far. And I'm too much of a chicken sh*t to walk into an AA meeting by myself.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Philly

I'm not gay but I lived a party lifestyle - I may as well have said being a musician sets you up for alcoholism.

Of course it doesn't...I'm a sober musician now and I know many other sober musicians. For what it's worth I know many gay men and women through SR who are sober too.

The more years I drank the worse it got and the more I lost.

The longer you put off doing something about your problem, the harder it's going to be, Philly.

D
Old 11-25-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this if you really want to Philly.
It takes commitment.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I live on an island. If I could not find an AA meeting I liked here, I would travel to the mainland to get to one.

There must be an LGBT AA meeting somewhere near you (Google finds 551,000 results for "gay AA Philadelphia").
Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hey, Philly don't give up. As Coldfusion said, there must be LGBT meetings you can go to

I was scared at my first AA meeting, but walked in, and everyone made me welcome.

I'm a gigging musician, I spend a lot of time in pubs...I don't drink. A lot of my musician friends drink, a lot don't.

It doesn't matter who you are, what you do or where you go, you are not "set up" for alcoholism.

If the thought of never drinking again scares you, just concentrate on one day at a time.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
Hey, Philly don't give up. As Coldfusion said, there must be LGBT meetings you can go to

I was scared at my first AA meeting, but walked in, and everyone made me welcome.

I'm a gigging musician, I spend a lot of time in pubs...I don't drink. A lot of my musician friends drink, a lot don't.

It doesn't matter who you are, what you do or where you go, you are not "set up" for alcoholism.

If the thought of never drinking again scares you, just concentrate on one day at a time.
Thanks. Good stuff. The holidays are rough. I'm surprised the site isn't more active right now. I know there are LGBT meetings in Philly, I just need to work up the nerve to leap into one on my own.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I imagine a lot of people are travelling right now, or sleeping?
Trust me, the site will be plenty active over the holidays, Philly

D
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I suspect that we all need to ramble now and then. I do. In the meetings I go to, people ramble sometimes when they need to. So do I. Nobody criticizes. Same here it seems. Be well.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Philly

I'm gay and originally from Philly - in fact the family business was a bar.

Instead of a lost weekend, plan a sober weekend as a way to combat the boredom with a change of scenery and also as a way to go to a meeting with perhaps a little less fear. Hop the train to New York or Baltimore or DC and spend Saturday seeing the sights and going to meetings, then hop a train home on Sunday. Lots of great last-minute hotel deals at some really nice places on the travel discount sites.

My first AA meeting was when I was on a business trip to Boston. It helped being somewhere where people did not know me.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Philly... Gay sober man here. Product of the 80's and 90's so we are probably around the same age. I love philly. But have no memories that don't include being drunk or high while roaming the bars there. The bike stop was only good with a buzz. Probably because the shallow conversation and cruising only go so far in real life. I needed to dull the ole senses to force the interaction.

It's tough to meet gay people outside of bars if all we are looking at is bars. But being in Maine now I wish I had the resources you have available to get out with people outside of bars.

Can I ask how are you more afraid to go to a gay AA meeting where people will be focused on not drinking and still be gay and have a common perspective than to go to a meat rack of a bar and make small talk with people that want nothing more than to get in your pants than in your mind?

You have the strength. You have the desire. Now execute on the plan. Get sober. If I can do it you can do it. Once you stop drinking and the longer you go from that last drink .... I can tell you life changes. At least mine did. I still reminisce about "the bars" but not sure I could ever go back to that.

Feel free to IM me if you choose. Ken here.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

I struggled for years to get a foothold on the slippery slide- I think that's common. I'm now over 3 years sober and it is unbelievable that it can happen- and it does regularly to people on this site (and I am sure elsewhere as well).

I'm sure it could happen for you- it's not about giving up alcohol - it's about a commitment to the great (terrifying) adventure of living sober............(no matter what). I think most of us have to learn to live with ourselves in the process.

By the way the "terror" disappears rapidly along with the early withdrawal stuff-

it felt like I had walked out of a dungeon, dishevelled and blinking into the sunlight- and only then discovering the shackles that held me to the wall weren't locked and neither was the door
Old 11-27-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Philly,

I have just returned to the site again today after a break of a few months, so I just wanted to say hi as a fellow returnee!

No real advice to give as I'm a bit of a mess myself, but just wanted to show some solidarity.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I decided AA wasn't for me but I can say this-the first time I walked into an AA meeting I was terrified for no reason! I was met by very nice folks who all understood. It might be the right path for you. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You sound resigned to drinking. Perhaps you haven't reached that point yet where options run out and you become resigned to sobriety. Either way I wish you well.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Philly
Old 11-27-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
Hi Philly

I'm gay and originally from Philly - in fact the family business was a bar.

Instead of a lost weekend, plan a sober weekend as a way to combat the boredom with a change of scenery and also as a way to go to a meeting with perhaps a little less fear. Hop the train to New York or Baltimore or DC and spend Saturday seeing the sights and going to meetings, then hop a train home on Sunday. Lots of great last-minute hotel deals at some really nice places on the travel discount sites.

My first AA meeting was when I was on a business trip to Boston. It helped being somewhere where people did not know me.
Going to a meeting out of town is a really good idea. I hadn't even thought of that.

Leaving town in general would probably also be good. I'm kind of looking forward to going back to VA for Christmas just because I generally don't drink. I guess because I kind of revert back to being a kid with my parents'.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hey Philly... Gay sober man here. Product of the 80's and 90's so we are probably around the same age. I love philly. But have no memories that don't include being drunk or high while roaming the bars there. The bike stop was only good with a buzz. Probably because the shallow conversation and cruising only go so far in real life. I needed to dull the ole senses to force the interaction.

It's tough to meet gay people outside of bars if all we are looking at is bars. But being in Maine now I wish I had the resources you have available to get out with people outside of bars.

Can I ask how are you more afraid to go to a gay AA meeting where people will be focused on not drinking and still be gay and have a common perspective than to go to a meat rack of a bar and make small talk with people that want nothing more than to get in your pants than in your mind?

You have the strength. You have the desire. Now execute on the plan. Get sober. If I can do it you can do it. Once you stop drinking and the longer you go from that last drink .... I can tell you life changes. At least mine did. I still reminisce about "the bars" but not sure I could ever go back to that.

Feel free to IM me if you choose. Ken here.
The Bike Stop is still only good with a buzz. And I say that as a human being, not specifically an alcoholic. That place is just awful to be in.

I'm sure there are less resources in Maine and that does suck. But honestly, considering I'm looking for a job, I've actually considered moving to a smaller town, somewhere with less temptation. I'm not necessarily more comfortable at a bar than potentially at an AA meeting. It's just where my friends are, and I do enjoy the conversations we have.

The line I bolded above is awesome and it's kind of how I've been thinking about it. The Transtheoretical Model of behavior change applies to a multitude of things and is defined in steps: Precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, etc. I guess I'm at the preparation stage.

It's rough though. I really value friendship in general. Without putting myself on the couch, I have a hard time letting go of people even if they're "toxic." The biggest thing I'm afraid of is loneliness. I'm not trying to sound pathetic - nor am I pathetic - but it's an obstacle.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
I struggled for years to get a foothold on the slippery slide- I think that's common. I'm now over 3 years sober and it is unbelievable that it can happen- and it does regularly to people on this site (and I am sure elsewhere as well).

I'm sure it could happen for you- it's not about giving up alcohol - it's about a commitment to the great (terrifying) adventure of living sober............(no matter what). I think most of us have to learn to live with ourselves in the process.

By the way the "terror" disappears rapidly along with the early withdrawal stuff-

it felt like I had walked out of a dungeon, dishevelled and blinking into the sunlight- and only then discovering the shackles that held me to the wall weren't locked and neither was the door
That's a really awesome way to look at it. I hate the words "addiction" and "recovery." They sound so dismal. When I think of AA I think of coping, not adventure. I mean I think that recovery and coping are absolutely part of getting out of the, for lack of a better word, darkness. And AA can be an integral part of that. But those words don't exactly inspire a lot of hope.

On my good days I think about sobriety like an experiment or an adventure. I'd love to think like that more often, ultimately as a way of life.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awholenewlife52 View Post
Hey Philly,

I have just returned to the site again today after a break of a few months, so I just wanted to say hi as a fellow returnee!

No real advice to give as I'm a bit of a mess myself, but just wanted to show some solidarity.
Glad to see you back. And it's kind of nice to meet someone in the same boat.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid of AA. Don't be afraid to shift your life for the better. You can do it.