Notices

Thanksgiving. Day 4.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Last Blackout

Thanksgiving. Day 4.

So its day 4.

I've been doing pretty well on this attempt. I started a blog to chronicle the journey which has seemed to give me structure and accountability.

But as I lay here on Thanksgiving morning in the US I know that today could be a challenge. I'm not ready to reveal that I'm not drinking to friends an family. Particularly in this festive setting.

So what do I do? Fake drinks? Say I'm on meds?

A big part of me is sick of lying about drinking and wants to just fess up. But not yet.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can't you fess up just for the day? "I'm tired of waking up hungover on Friday, so I'm not drinking today"

PS - I think you'll be presently surprised at how little people care if you drink or not. That's all in our own heads'
Old 11-27-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, Welcome!!

Sounds to me like you have clarity in your thought process.....Good! I agree about not shouting the Good News to all - they will see by your behavior you're on a path to improve not only your life, but those you come in contact with.

Post during day, keep us updated!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Pat!!!
FlyN
Old 11-27-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
On a day that I continue to be thankful for a lot of sober time it’s sometimes easy to not remember when things were difficult to absorb.

In my early experience with not drinking I didn’t feel it necessary to explain to ANYBODY why I wasn’t drinking. When I did mention it to some the majority said “good.”
Most “friends” I might have enjoyed some beverages with felt uncomfortable so I made friends with sober people in the program, many being solid for a lot of years.
I found I needed self honesty about my drinking and accept the fact I can not drink in safety. At that point the journey started and I never looked back.

BE WELL
Old 11-27-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If offered a drink you can just say i'll have a coke or whatever non alcoholic drink you choose. If offered a specific alcoholic drink, a no thanks will suffice. I had someone offer me a beer the other day. I said no thanks, I don't drink anymore. He said you're no fun anymore. I just laughed and said guess not. That is as far as it went. Most people don't push the issue.

If you feel you need an excuse, pick one before the time arises. I'm on antibiotics, I am on a new healthy diet-no alcohol, I am saving my caloriies for the food today etc....
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 4 Pat
Old 11-27-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drunc: I don't say anything. Keep them wondering and guessing. If they ask I just reply "no thank you" no explanation needed Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drunc: I don't say anything. Keep them wondering and guessing. If they ask I just reply "no thank you" no explanation needed Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Last Blackout

Thanks everyone. I'm new to saying no.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic!!

We gotta do what we gotta do to protect our Sobriety, there is always going to be occasions and festive periods each year, might be time to start as you mean to go on!!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Last Blackout

Made it through Thanksgiving sans alcohol (despite being offered several times). Never gave an explanation, just poured more water and changed the subject.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice work Pat - I too, just made to through day 4 without a drink on TG - everyone else drank and I had water - no questions asked. I think sometimes since we are so focused on our own not-drinking, that we seem to think that others actually care...when in reality, they couldn't care less...