Notices

Pulled something new out of the toolbox

Old 11-26-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pulled something new out of the toolbox

Day 17 here and when I left work today I felt some cravings. Instead of using will power to fight them I decided to take up my sponsor's request to get in touch if I felt like drinking, so I took out my cell phone and made the call for the first time. I won't lie - it felt awkward to say "Hi - I'm kind of jonesing so I'm making the call." My sponsor just laughed and said it's normal for it to feel awkward the first couple of times. We ended up talking about our plans to put up Christmas trees and after walking a few blocks I realized I was past the liquor store, the craving was gone, and I was good to go with my sights set on home. I'm really grateful for the experience and although it will still feel a bit weird the next time I'm going to keep it in my tool kit for sobriety.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I called someone from AA for the first time today too.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

good response Lance

D
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

it feels less and less weird
Old 11-27-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ve found over the years that this kind of contact is great for both parties. For me it was an instant remember when and a warm feeling to help someone in need. Some great relationships develop as a result of the fellowship and staying sober.

BE WELL
Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic Lance!!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice Not with AA, but I used similar approaches that were not even awkward because the other person did not know usually why I called. I would call my father, a friend, someone from work to discuss projects, things like that. My idea was that I needed some distraction and re-focus to let the craving subside, and it usually did. I also reached out here on SR a few times more explicitly of course. I imagine talking with someone from AA can be better than any of these other possibilities, but if it feels too often, just call or text anyone for some distraction.