Notices

The queen of self-sabotage

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The queen of self-sabotage

That is yours truly. It is extremely tiresome too. Even the scriptures talk about this.

Anyone experience this and how did you deal with it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
romans7-15.jpg (61.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well it's called addiction, AF. We all experienced it. It means that you need to do something differently if you keep self-sabotaging. I did that for years. We need to develop new habits.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

AF, that was my title for a long time too.

I sabotaged myself when I was doing well (in anything) but especially with stopping drinking. After 3 days of sobriety I would realize that I was succeeding and that scared me a lot. I had no idea where that would take me. On the other hand, failure felt very familiar. It's such a horrible cycle. I had to believe in my soul that I deserved a good life. You do, too.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you
Old 11-26-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think self sabotage is a form of negative thinking called Catastrophising, which is overestimating the chances of disaster. Expecting something unbearable or intolerable to happen.

You expect to fail.

So you do.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmm...I would liken my issues with this to ya..somewhere within the spectrum of poor impulse control, a need for instant gratification and an underdeveloped resiliency for tolerating emotions...

I do believe this can be changed though.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Hmm...I would liken my issues with this to ya..somewhere within the spectrum of poor impulse control, a need for instant gratification and an underdeveloped resiliency for tolerating emotions.
Yeah, I just think of myself as terminally immature.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You know ArtFriend, you have half answered your own question, if you don't pull that out of context, it will show you that it is about giving it up to God. Basically a self will run riot without God's guidance
Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Yeah, I just think of myself as terminally immature.
Am I immature? Yes. Terminally? Nope..not if I stay sober
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

People have had the same old troubles since recorded history began.

And before no doubt.

Sometimes wise people come to earth to try to enlighten us.

It normally doesn't end well for them.

One such character is the central business of the new testament
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just learning what/why/how my AV gets the best of me and it is getting quieter as I go along
Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've realized recently that ever since I was abused as a child full of guilt and shame that if I just punish myself ENOUGH I'll be absolved somehow of my sins and I'll be clean and be able to live in my own skin. And that I've never felt that I deserved happiness because I was such a bad person and have denied everything good, even happy thoughts. That is my hurdle I'm dealing with. I believe that is why I was attracted to men who beat me up and all of my self destruction and self sabotage. Because I felt I deserved to be punished. Knowing this only helps. Now it's a matter of putting it into action, forgiving myself and accepting a happy life.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've realized recently that ever since I was abused as a child full of guilt and shame that if I just punish myself ENOUGH I'll be absolved somehow of my sins and I'll be clean and be able to live in my own skin. And that I've never felt that I deserved happiness because I was such a bad person and have denied everything good, even happy thoughts. That is my hurdle I'm dealing with. I believe that is why I was attracted to men who beat me up and all of my self destruction and self sabotage. Because I felt I deserved to be punished. Knowing this only helps. Now it's a matter of putting it into action, forgiving myself and accepting a happy life.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, self-sabotage was kind of a way of taking control by giving up.

I would try and try to excel in life. I would try to make friends, talk to girls, make more money... and when that didn't work I would go F'it and give-up on giving a Sh!%. That was a way of taking control and by going off any status-quo BS radar, I felt like a societal rebel.

Becoming pretty misanthropic and just feeling that I should have been born in the future (assuming we evolve for the better). Probably getting somewhere near the realm of a god complex.. ughh i am embarrassed to admit that.

Truth is.. it didn't get me anywhere. It was a way of adjusting my perspective to fit my reality and it kept me alone, drinking and trudging along.

Becoming sober is so cool because I get to know the ins/outs of me instead of being victimized by me