Notices

A fresh start

Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober

A fresh start

I figured I'd better make a new thread instead of responding to my drunk "kiver" thread. It just feels better.

I write this there:

Ok, just got back.

The doctor wanted to apply me for treatment for alcoholism and some place to deal with traumas, but I declined. I'm just not ready yet.

He gave me Valium for 5 days, as well as thiamine supplements for 2 weeks.

He wasn't too concerned about my physical withdrawal. The Valium is just to decrease the risk.

Since I was reluctant to go for more help, he insisted I call him Friday during the phone consultation. And I have an appointment in a week. Maybe I'm more ready to discuss further treatments then.

He thought that it's unlikely that I'll get dangerous withdrawal symptoms, given how I came across and the fact I'm on day 2. Btw, I'm going to quit counting days, it makes me nervous.

He gave me several things to look out for that are reasons to call the emergency service:

Severe headache, unexplained heavy tremors, hallucinations and generally feeling worse than when you have the flu.

He wasn't happy about my choice to not accept further treatment, but I just need to think about it.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have talked to your dr and I hope that you will be ready to take his advice before too long.

I hope you continue to feel well.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Twentfive this echos my first apt bk with a doctor and i commend you i know this wasnt easy

i done the same make sure to phone friday and keep your apt

Well done on day 2 you can do this stick close to us if you start to feel urges let the forum know were all here for you

This is exactly how i got started altho i still take Thiamine (B1) and other minerals & vitimins

well done twentyfive
Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by twentyfive View Post
He wasn't happy about my choice to not accept further treatment, but I just need to think about it.
It's our "thinking" that got us here, as much as our drinking.

You wrote this in your other thread:

"I'll contact my doctor today even though I don't think it's necessary. Maybe he sees it differently. After all, he's the expert."

Indeed, he's the expert. Don't think too long.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober

Thanks doggonecarl, I know. But sitting there suddenly made everything too real for me and I got scared.

I'll go with the Valiums and thiamine and the follow-up consultations. The Valium has calmed me down and physically I feel fine. So I'm ok for now. Things shouldn't happen too fast for me or I'll freak out. For now, I've got some meds to help with the withdrawal and some good advice for when things go wrong.

It's just a little step forward. But it is forward.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done, "kiver".

Think that should be your username

Yes, I think a lot of us are reluctant at first to go to the docs. Think you did the right thing.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober

Haha, I think that kiver thing will stick to me for a while. I can laugh about it though.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing really well 25
Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Btw, I'm going to quit counting days, it makes me nervous.
I'm not a day counter either. Although I do remember the date I changed my life

Good stuff. Happy for the update.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, twentyfive, in taking those first steps!

Something someone wrote a week or two ago really resonated with me: in early sobriety, when something doesn't feel right, it might be just the thing that we need to do. Something to think about.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you, twentyfive. I'm learning to face my fears about many things without wine. Inch by inch. I hope for you the same.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober

You know, I'm ready to take a big leap. I was tiptoeing around drinking and alcohol, carefully staying away from it. Now I'm going to take this big step away from it. And move on.

I was too careful. Being careful is good. Too careful isn't. So next time I talk to my doc, I'll tell him I want help. Give me all there is. I will go to rehab, if necessary. I will do anything it takes.

That came from the realization I just had that life, my life, is something worth living. And I will do anything to make it good.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, I'm ready to take a big leap. I was tiptoeing around drinking and alcohol, carefully staying away from it. Now I'm going to take this big step away from it. And move on.

I was too careful. Being careful is good. Too careful isn't. So next time I talk to my doc, I'll tell him I want help. Give me all there is. I will go to rehab, if necessary. I will do anything it takes.

That came from the realization I just had that life, my life, is something worth living. And I will do anything to make it good.
Wow! What a wonderful and inspiring insight! Good for you!! You are so right: you and your life are worth it!!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

glad you made the move 25. just don't stray too far from that doctor. I'm sure he's as concerned as the rest of us.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober

I'm doing pretty well. Still sober! The Valium helps and they are not joking when they say that too much thiamine in harmless and get excreted through your urine. It smells like it. Even my sweat smells like it. I have the scent of thiamine all around me.

The Valium relaxes me enough to not freak out too much and to get through these first couple of days. Fortunately I can't get more after these couple of days, because it's pretty addictive.

Next time I'm at my doctor's, I'm going to discuss treatment options. So far I'm not noticing much physically. But I do need help for the mental part. Even if I think it's not necessary, I'll do it anyway. Can't hurt and I'm rather safe than sorry.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

glad to hear it 25, instead of 'kiver' - rhymes with liver I think,
maybe 'fiver' instead, dunno,,,

Checking out a shrinkologist or counselor is always good. Usually if you are gonna be okay, they'll let you know right away - especially if you have poor insurance.

Good luck 25.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

recovery gives us an aroma as we heal

I wish you well in your recovery!!!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Take all the help you can get. I think all too often we punish ourselves thinking we have to do this alone. You don't and you have a dr. that seems to be on the mark with offering the help.

Well done!
Old 11-27-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done 25
Old 11-27-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober

Unexpectedly, I actually feel good! I expected to feel miserable, but both physically and mentally I feel so free. It's the result of the relief. If you've ever had a really tough period and then it's finally over, you can get this enormous relief that gives you energy. At least that's been my response in many other situations. I feel so much relief.