Notices

Sober Weekender Thread Holiday Edition - Nov 26 - 30!

Old 11-28-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Just want to say thank goodness for you all here. i am at an away hockey tournament for my son, and the drinks were flowing at the team dinner...now the kids are in the pool area...more drinks....I am safely ensconced in my room, wearing pink flannel pj s , chips and chocolate at the ready and a movie all set to go. Phew. Just have to not answer my door or phone when they start to realize I am missing
Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

tonight as I was sitting up in the tree , 32 degrees and calm - wasn't cold, taking it all in,
saw six deer, they walked behind me, climbed down by the moon light and walked back through the woods so as to not give my spot away - they were still pretty close 100-150 yds away. Something came over me. I felt full of energy. This song popped into my head.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Those pics are really cool, BigS! Glad you're having such a wonderful time!
Old 11-28-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Frazzle-Free Friday

Yowzah BS ~

You ain't lyin'. That's some very kewl Mayan! Whatta a great Cultural 'stretch' to take all that in. Hard to believe there were advanced Societies even before Black Friday Sales and the Internet, eh?-)

My own lil Cultural stretch today was to venture into a Japanese Lunch of Turkey Leftovers Sushi. Turkey. Stuffing. Scallions. Avocado. Rice Wine Vinegar. Wasabi. Pickled Ginger on the side. And, no, I don't mean that Babe from 'Gilligan's Island' with a few Cocktails in her.

On the Pic right, I made 1 of 2 Rolls with good ole White Rice; just for contrast. And, yes, some seductive Scalloped Potatoes as a Side. As with much in Life, the Potatoes were better the day after. I roll these Sushi hummers on the large side; Cheech & Chong-style.

Since they don't bog you down from being too full, we lept up after Lunch and got all kinda things done around the House. I methodically cleaned up some glitchy Cable connection to the Satellite Dish, since the Video was getting weird and jumpy. Looks like that worked. Time will tell.

After vacuuming up enough Dog Hair to stuff a Comforter, Miz Mesa knocked out some massive Chocolate Chip Cookies. The Abode looks/smells quite wonderful. After my Chores got done, I sat up on our 2nd Story Guest Cabin Deck and watched a nice Sunset while huffing a Stogie. My remaining Oral Fixation, along with Ice Cream some nights as my substitute Habit in Sobriety. I must have counted 200+ Gunshots being popped off in the distance around me. Nothing says 'American Holiday' like going out and popping off Semi-Automatic Rounds. Folks around here are safe and experienced. We're way used to it.

I couldn't get to the Jack Bruce - Gary Moore Video Link, so I'll repost it below. There's plenty of other Clips to pick from on the right side of the Webpage. Gary, formerly of 'Thin Lizzy', passed away recently on Holiday after a night of Power Drinking. He was ~5x the legal Drive limit. Alcohol got Jack Bruce over time, too. Alcohol complications took Thin Lizzy Bassist/Lead Vocalist Phil Lynott years ago in his 30s. Some reminders not lost on this p/t Bassist.

There's some Family/personal sadness for me associated with this Weekend, but I'll get to that some other time. Recovery = Coping. I never imagined when younger that Adulthood could be so much work at times.

'I Feel Free' ~ Bruce & Moore

-----

-----
Old 11-28-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Sorry for your sadness, MM.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Dang it. Erased everything again!

Thanks for the pics BigS!m gorgeous and glad to hear the trip is going well.

Gilmer, I hope your dad is doing well. How are you doing?

MM, sorry you are feeling down. This time of year is rough.

Trach, shhh!!! Keep the party down! You'll wake dad!

I'm off to bed too. See you all in the morning.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Nice to see everyone here!
Gah! Gasp!
Made it through day 4! Barely, worked 14 hours, drove through rush hour on road that are sheets of ice, wipers froze, couldn't see and my signal is still out! Good times.
Was actually determined to drive home and pick up and bottle of wine on the way. Then drove past the liquor store and got some candies instead, going to make tea and post here.
Head to to AA tomorrow. Could it be!!!???! that I'm learning good habits! Haha
Anyway, glad to be here.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good job Jsbodhi!

The Weather Service just issued a "Winter Weather Advisory" for us. I grew up in Hawaii, and get excited about snow!

Wishing that everyone makes sober choices!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Just stopping in briefly to say 'hello'. The tally of my day: pumpkin pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No shopping at all. No work, whatsoever. Thanks to Olive's recommendation, an entire day and night of 'Sons of Anarchy'. I learn great things here on the Weekender Thread.

Great to read all the goings-on and see the beautiful pics (along with a super-secretly disguised bubble-gum pink truck).

Mesa, sorry to hear that there is a sadness about.

OK. One or two more episodes of Anarchy and off to sleep. Sweet dreams everyone!

Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey-diddelly-hi soberinos ,

As with most good saturday mornings , it starts with coffee ..

So did you make it through ? just a normal weekend now other than the e-mails coming through from retailers trying to keep the momentum up ..

Certainly seems crazy to this now financially sober saver . It's nice to slowly feel more financially secure .

Mex-m8 is off to do car boot sale … decided to sell most of his stuff because he and i are planning on making a big move together in the next few months .

I dunno i just take it all one day at a time an see where i end up . Here now today i'm warm and comfortable . Sober life is a good life and you can make more out of it than you can with a life clouded by drugs like drink ..

Keep on ,
m
Old 11-29-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Up... gym... early... later...
Old 11-29-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

enjoy the gym weasel, I've been up since 5, have a cup of coffee and my third oatmeal cookie, it's 20 degrees out there, sunrise is at 0701, should be able to see fair at 0631, that give me less than an hour to get there and up in my stand. Hope I can last an hour out there...
Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Good to hear everyone's doing well. Mex, do tell about the possible relocation (when you have digested things and feel comfortable, of course). Hope the sale goes well. Weasel, are you sure you're a weasel? Or just a "gym rat" in disguise?

Buenas dias from the small island lake-town of Flores. It's densely packed, sometimes floods due to rising waters, and has a catacomb-like structure of winding streets, hidden alleys, and treasures. Kind of like the Venice of Guatemala? Nice sunrise here this morning. Coffee, breakfast, and an easy boat ride to follow.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Day 9 for me (more importantly, a weekend and a holiday). I actually feel really good. I think about drinking a lot, but the "pull" isn't very bad at all. I'm starting to get more to where I really don't want to drink, not just to where I am forcing myself not to. I know I'll go through more ups and downs though.

The only bad thing is I'm supposed to see a concert tonight at a bar (got the tickets before I got sober). As good as I feel, I think I may skip it. I don't think I'm ready yet. Being in a crowded room tends to stress me out.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Great job, everyone, who is getting through difficult times this weekend with success!

BigS - LOVE the pictures! Thank you for sharing.

MM - True that: Recovery=Coping. I'm sorry for your sadness.
(BTW: Sushi looked great.)

Ruby: Sorry you felt out of sorts. I hope you wake up feeling better this morning.

Hello to everyone here...I tried to post last night but my connection was iffy. Other than seeing the shopping madness in action (briefly) yesterday was pretty quiet. I had a moment in the afternoon where I felt really restless, but then my daughter decided to clean her room and I helped her with that so the feeling passed.

Today, I'm making the macaroni and cheese for the Friendsgiving this afternoon and the non-alcoholic sangria. I have to head to Whole Foods in a moment for the Gruyere cheese and a single nutmeg that I can grate. Their bulk section cannot be beat.

This weekend can seem really long. It's good in someways but I also like my regular routine because it keeps me from feeling restless. Tomorrow I think we'll go and get our tree so that will keep me busy.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Weasel, are you sure you're a weasel? Or just a "gym rat" in disguise?
Thats funny... Not a gym rat... in fact this guy was acting all an idiot this morning and the weasel in me had to push him a bit. Its fun to mess with people sometimes. Especially when they are obnoxious.

Great pics!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday!

I so appreciate the pics posted and gym reminders on here.
BigS, That's one heckuva view!
Mesaman, I wanted to pick those rolls off of the screen for breakfast.
Weasel, That pink truck is no shocker to this Texan girl. I prefer something smaller and closer to the ground though.
I'll be sure to post some from my sweet corner of the earth soon.

Today, I'm 50. 50 days sober!
Saturday Night Live skit: I'm Sally O'Malley and I'm 50

Thanks for holding my hand every step of the way, SR Weekenders.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

CONGRATS Conquest!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Yes! Congratulations, Conquest!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Well... i woke and decided that today was the day. I have several boxes from my move to Maine that have remained unopened. Containing things from the past.

Time to clean house and set free the last of any negative energy things hold on me.

After all I don't live in the past any more. So bu-bye!!!