Notices

Forgiving Oneself

Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober

My idea on this is: if you intend to never do it again, you can forgive yourself fully right now.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

SoberD, I struggled for a very long time with the guilt and shame, too. I was really stuck. What finally worked for me was journaling. I wrote whenever I felt a wave of guilt and it went on for many months, but each time I wrote down the words, they lost some of their power.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it hard to forgive myself too but the more distance I put between my old life and my old self and the new sober me and sober life, the easier it got.

I think there comes a point where you have to accept the past is immutable - we can;t change it. We can do a lot with today tho

draw a line in the sand and live the life you want to live Sober D...it'll help

D
Old 11-27-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LDT

I promise you that times does heal the wounds, SoberD. In a few sober months, your feelings of shame or regret will not feel as raw.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

some things that have helped me:

AA -- Steps 4 through 9 in particular, done with the guidance of a sponsor, simply erased a lot of resentment and guilt. extremely effective. making amends where possible is the ultimate in assuaging guilt, and simply opening up to someone else (like a sponsor) about the past is very healing. accepting that i was/am powerless over alcohol implies that i must forgive myself. i am still learning to fully accept that.

cranio-sacral therapy

journaling

prayer and meditation

A Course in Miracles
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think I began to forgive myself after my actions had clearly changed. The worst of my past is still there and I acknowledge it, but rather than being imprisoned by the shame of it, I see it as the reason why I need to continue to actively work my recovery.

I am not god - it is not my place to pass judgment on myself or anyone else. I can only do the very best I can with today, and when I do that, everything else falls into place.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I got rid of my shame and guilt after I finished the 5th step of AA and disclosed ALL of my misconducts in front god and another human being (sponsor) I am free of all shame and guilt now. 10 months sober.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies - some incredible wisdom being shared here
Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberD View Post
As the title suggests, I have always had extreme difficulties in recovery with forgiving myself for the many awful things I have done as an alcoholic. I'm sure the list is familiar: lying, cheating, blackout driving, fighting, promiscuity, manipulation, using people, etc.

Do these feeling tend to subside when the mind and body begin to heal over time? I know the adage(s) of "not being able to change the past," etc., but they don't seem to provide much comfort when the shame and guilt pervades your thoughts...

Thanks, D
These are what the steps are for.... You can leave it all behind and start anew in forgiveness.... It takes action.