Notices

Outpatient treatment vs. AA/Therapist

Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Gratefulchris- so glad you chimed in. It helps me to hear what is helping others. You sound like you are doing all the things that I need to be doing. I hope to follow in your footsteps as it sounds like it is working?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would add that it's important to actively participate in whatever approach we choose to use. For example, I signed up to SR first in 2010... but only got sober in 2014. It had no effect on me while I was just reading and posting only once in a while. Could never stay sober longer than 2-3 days. But with commitment and active participation it's 10 months now. Same approach with therapy. My therapy work has not been focused on sobriety but a lot of the issued addressed in it support my sobriety indirectly. And I really work it, far beyond just going to my sessions to talk for an hour once a week. After all, what would be the point of spending time, energy, and money otherwise?

There are all the great programs and support, but we need to make the effort to make it work.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Achingforchange View Post
Gratefulchris- so glad you chimed in. It helps me to hear what is helping others. You sound like you are doing all the things that I need to be doing. I hope to follow in your footsteps as it sounds like it is working?
Yes it is working for me but let me caution you at the same time I want Recovery this time-I have tried in the past and didn't truly want Recovery if you have even an inkling of wanting Recovery then go after it. I would also caution that the IOP I go to does UA's (Urine Analysis) so abstinence is expected.