Notices

I messed up.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I messed up.

So my wife yelled at me in Walmart when we were shopping for our kids birthday. I'm very emotionally fragile right now and it ruined my day. I was trying to help and got treated like crap. I had an urge to drink rode it out and overcame it. Then after my doctors appt around 530 I drank some beer and some more. When I woke up at 4 am my heart was racing and I'm depressed and very dizzy. I'm sorry I drank. Do I have to start over or pick up where I left off. I didn't even enjoy it. Didn't want to post today but hoped it would help. Withdrawl sucks and I never want to feel this way again. I was doing so good. I really think I need a medication to make it impossible for me to drink for a few months while I learn how to say no. I have ocd, anxiety, and depression so I feel like no matter how good I do I'll always end up back here. I felt so strong all day and one little thing threw me off. This sucks
Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you made it back Fishinainteasy

Remember reach out and lean on us if you ever feel like that again

Keep trying revise your plan and good luck
Old 11-25-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Fishin'. Whether you "start over" or "pick up where you left off" is really not all that important, they are merely words. What is important is not drinking today, and also finding a plan/method/therapy that will allow you to cope with life on it's own terms, rather than resorting to drinking.

It's also important to remember that your anxiety/OCD/depresssion are very real issues that need to be treated separately. Drinking makes all of them worse, and it's very difficult ( if not impossible ) to treat them while you are actively drinking to boot. Have you ever received treatment or therapy for those conditions?

Lastly, there is no magic pill you can take that will stop you from drinking. It's a conscious decision only you can make ( to drink or not to drink). All of the things mentioned above are a big help in allowing you to make the decision to stay sober, but really at the end of the day It's all up to you and your choices.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I have some treatment scheduled for December 2 with a therapist. The next time I feel like drinking I will post. Do I make a thread here or what? So like if I need support right away where do I post. I had options last night and know it came down to me choosing not to seek help. Wish I could fast foreward to tomorrow. I know I'll feel better then
Old 11-25-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Fishinainteasy View Post
Yeah I have some treatment scheduled for December 2 with a therapist. The next time I feel like drinking I will post. Do I make a thread here or what? So like if I need support right away where do I post. I had options last night and know it came down to me choosing not to seek help. Wish I could fast foreward to tomorrow. I know I'll feel better then
You can post here whenever you like, and starting a new thread is a great option. You can also log into the chat room, there is almost always someone there as well that can help.

Glad to hear you have plans to seek some other help/opinions from a therapist too - that can make a lot of difference.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you post here, in this forum, you will likely get responses immediately. There are always people here and we do understand.

And, I agree completely with what Scott said about medication for drinking. There is no easy way. This is just my opinion, but if you use medication for a few months to help you, you will not learn that you are strong enough to do this on your own.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Fishinainteasy

Well done for posting about it and coming right back.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anna I'm scared that I'm not strong enough.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well, gettinsoberainteasy sometimes. the fact that you came here and posted, feeling distraught over the fact that you drank again IS a good thing.

you are strong enough to recognize it and what it does. next time instead of drinking - POST HERE FIRST.

Do you have a fly tying bench? Maybe put on some coffee or tea and tie me up a few flies instead of drinking next time. I could use a few copper johns or similar nymphs.
and a some tricos -- give yourself a diversion next time.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fishin, you are strong enough. Give yourself more credit than that. You can do this. Re-read through these threads and you will hear the following over and over... "if I can do it, then anyone can do it".

We are stronger than our excuses. We just have got to want to be sober more than we want to drink. It's simple and tough as that. I'm new to recovery, and still think of drinking every day. But every day, I get back onto SR and am reminded why I can't drink... not today, not tomorrow, not next month.

After 21 years of heavy, daily drinking I never through I was strong enough either. I haven't made it that long yet, but I know this... I will be sober today and for me, that's what counts right now.

Glad you came right back Fishin. You are strong enough. Make your plan, stick to it and stay close to SR or what ever recovery method works for you.

We are here to support each other.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey lbrain. I'm working on my knots but have not mastered any flies yet. Maybe that could be a cool winter hobby. Thanks and if I do I'll hook you up. My fly box is dwindling hehe.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well fishin, think of sobriety like tying knots, the more you practice the better you get. And the stronger the knots become. Same with sobriety, it gets stronger the longer you keep working at it.

Now if you can tie a nail knot on the first try, you are my hero. Fly tying can also become like meditation. A peaceful, mindful experience, once you get past the initial frustration. I think it's a good hobby to pick up.

Just keep working on a program of recovery...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fishin, you ARE strong enough. I believe in you.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anna I'm scared that I'm not strong enough.
You can only try Fishin. I know when I woke up and wanted to get sober in 2013..I was terrified I couldn't stop drinking. I knew urges and cravings and desires to drink would pop up?

What would I do????

So I sat down and made a list of things I could do instead. One of those things was post here (so I fired up an old account here I hadn't used since 2007).

I made a commitment to myself that I would face every ARRIVING moment sober (the key is...arriving...don't get caught up in the future...just stay with your now).

You can do this.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me I needed to build a new toolbox to deal with life, the problem is there is always going to be rough days, even in Sobriety, but the quick fix of alcohol needs to be off the table, we need new tools to deal with life moving forward!!

Go at things again!! You can do this!!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm scared that I'm not strong enough.
Two things - drinkers have to be strong stubborn people - look at the work we did to continue to fight drinking into our lives? If strength is a factor we've all got it in spades

but ..I actually don't think recovery *is* about strength.

It's about acceptance - accepting who I am, accepting what I am, and accepting that I can't be the person I want to be if I drink.

Strength won't get me across that 8 line highway teeming with traffic - but acceptance that I need to go & wait at the lights for the walk signal, will

Accept what you need to do Fishin

D
Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I appreciate the support and will start working my tail off
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fishin, do post and post right away. I had a terrible trigger in Target the other day and stopped in the middle of an aisle and asked the SR community for virtual hugs and support. Within seconds they were arriving and enabled me to walk out of that store without wine.

I was so truly grateful.

Take care. And you are strong: we all are much stronger than we think we are and also need more support than we sometimes allow ourselves to have!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I appreciate the support and will start working my tail off
Someone with a soft hackle (North Country Spider) as an avatar has to beat this alcohol problem. I'm rooting for ya, from a fellow fly fisherman.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I'm scared that I'm not strong enough.
There are two statements here really, FAE. The second one, that you are not strong enough to keep to a decision to quit, is not true. I know you can do it. You can choose to quit drinking, and quit. Absolutely.

The first statement is a little different, because it is true. You are afraid. This only makes sense because of the magnitude of what you are about to undertake. The idea of living without alcohol was absolutely terrifying to me. I was frightened to bits about the whole idea of doing this, and that led me to think I would fail. This turned out to be a lie that was simply part of my addiction to alcohol. I had forgotten I already knew how to live sober, I did it for two decades. Without this belief in myself, this change ahead of me was simply paralyzing, and this fear kept me drunk.

The answer to this is to believe in yourself. Sober is a better life than drunk by any measure. You deserve to have this better life, and you can have it. It is yours - reach and grab it with all your mind and heart, and never let it go. Accept nothing less.

If you check my avatar you can see my trolling rod already set for that early morning run into that back bay and along that shoal that sometimes holds a trout I'm able to fool. Let's go get him, OK? Your turn to drive the boat this time.