Notices

My day one

Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My day one

My mom has cancer and I'm not handling it well. I'm not looking for sympathy. But all week I've been visiting my best friend after a month at home helping to look after my mom.

All week we partied and drank like crazy and then on Thursday night my drinking went further than it ever has before.

I got so drunk I went home with someone, just to talk. Honestly. But this guy lived on a boat. I couldn't get on the boat and fell into the water. I couldn't pull myself out and we had to have the ambulance come. I screamed louder and longer than I ever have before when I was in the freezing water. I screamed that I couldn't do this to my mom. I had hypothermia and later, when the shock wore off, found I'd broken my tailbone, probably landing against the dock. I've never broken a bone before.

I'm uninsured so this will cost a fortune. I'm stressing my mom out more and the dunk in the water really showed me how dangerous my drinking had become.

I'm done. I can't do this anymore and I can't consider myself a responsible, true adult by acting like this.

I'm scared about how I'll deal with my mom's sickness without the crutch of alcohol but it's not a safe way for me to cope with it.

I've considered quitting before but the truly traumatic experience on Thursday has changed my outlook completely.

Any advice or support would be welcome but I'm just happy to find a little place to start my journey.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drank more than I ever intended on some evenings after helping to care for my mother with cirrhosis. Cirrhosis induced by alcohol. Ironic isn't it?

I understand your feelings of guilt. Of duty. Of "aren't I bigger than this?"

The realization you have made here is a massive one. Rally to your mother's cause and use it as a source of strength and inspiration to make yourself a better, healthier you.

Do not forget to take care of yourself and utilize your own support system as needed including this forum. Be sure to find time to enjoy life in healthy ways and appreciate your mother and her strength in this fight.

You can do this! Welcome!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It must be very frightening. I don't really have any advice to offer but you'll get plenty of support here. Be kind to yourself, and welcome to SR.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Reddoor now is the time glad your here

Sorry to hear about your mum shes going to need you now more than ever

you can do this

sorry you broke and hypothermia your lucky to be alive i myself am also lucky to be alive

hang in there accept the facts stay strong read on sr

pm me anytime
Old 11-25-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Reddoor now is the time glad your here

Sorry to hear about your mum shes going to need you now more than ever

you can do this

sorry you broke and hypothermia your lucky to be alive i myself am also lucky to be alive

hang in there accept the facts stay strong read on sr

pm me anytime
Old 11-25-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
Many can identify with the insanity we go through with problem drinking and the sad thing is if you are an alcoholic and continue to drink it’s guaranteed to get worse, like it or not. I know first hand but fortunately got active in AA which saved me and millions worldwide.
This disease is disabled if we stop drinking but is always there if we pick up again and will be worse.
Reading and identifying posts on this site is helpful in seeing some pitfalls and the recovery process.

BE WELL
Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I'm not exactly the best person to be giving advice, but I can say that I understand your situation and what you're going through because it sounds similar to something I would do. Good luck though. I find coming and reading through these forums helps me a lot.. and I think it will help you too.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Reddoor. I'm sorry for your experience and also for the situation with your mum

You're in the right place doing the right thing. There's tons of support here.

Glad to have you with us, I'm 45 days sober now thanks to these good people.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Reddoor. Your decision to quit is a a good one on many levels, glad you have come here seeking help. Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your injuries - and let us know how we can help in your road to recovery from drinking.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome reddoor, sorry to her about your mum and all that has been going on.

Drinking like that is no way to live. You can pull yourself together and get through this. You don't have to go back to drinking. I hope you are seeking assistance to help you with getting sober. There are plenty of references on this site to help steer you in the right direction.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi reddoor - welcome

Caring for someone is a big job and can be very stressful - but you're right that drinking is not the answer...it creates more problems rather than solving any of the ones you have.

I know you'll find a lot of support understanding and encouragement here

D
Old 11-25-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a wise decision to stop drinking. Sober life is so rewarding. And you don't have to worry about alcohol induced accidents.