Notices

Day 1 of complete sobriety

Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Day 1 of complete sobriety

Hello all,
I am on my first day of being completely sober. I started drinking years ago and it got really bad a long time ago. During my military service it also seemed to get worse. I quit when i was pregnant with my son, but slowly started drinking liquor at night a few months after he was born. My night time habits have gotten kind of out of control and my spouse is sick of it and so am i. It is very difficult finding other things to do besides drinking at night after my kid goes to sleep. My husband is usually sober and i want to be like him instead of being the drunk. I get tired of my actions when i am drunk and i feel bad about myself and ashamed of my lack of control. But i am on day 1 and i want to take this one day at a time. I am going to stock up on nonalcoholic drinks so i am not tempted. I really want to make this work so i can do the things i have been putting off for so many years. I have been working on being a better person.

Regards,
Maggpie
Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Maggpie. Do you have a plan other than stocking up on non-alcoholic drinks? I had to do WAY more than that..... SR is a great place to start. Glad you want to change your life!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Starting here is a great step Magpie. You will need to hone in on your plan, but not drinking today is the most important thing you can do right now.

After a few days, I believe you will find that there are many things you can do after the kids are in bed! I was an evening binge drinker, and now I think of my sober evenings as the biggest gift of my sobriety. The things I accomplish in that space of time I wasted all these years!

Keep with it and you'll see. Guaranteed.

Earlyriser
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Maggie

2 suggestions;

1. Ice Cream
2. Orange Fanta

Literally works miracles for me!

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yeah..

And lots of SR
Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Maggie
Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earlyriser View Post
Starting here is a great step Magpie. You will need to hone in on your plan, but not drinking today is the most important thing you can do right now.

After a few days, I believe you will find that there are many things you can do after the kids are in bed! I was an evening binge drinker, and now I think of my sober evenings as the biggest gift of my sobriety. The things I accomplish in that space of time I wasted all these years!

Keep with it and you'll see. Guaranteed.

Earlyriser
Same.

Welcome! It gets better but you have to stick with it.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I just made a trip to walmart to stock up on teas and diet sodas as I don't want to gain weight while doing this. Thanks for the suggestions and I will keep checking in on the chat room side
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Good start magpie. I have soft juices also. On ur weight that will come down anyway when u have stopped drinking so ur allowed some comfort food that will help in the early days.

Good luck in going sober xx
Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm on day 2.
My nightly binge drinking has gotten me into trouble too, I don't even know how it slipped past me into being a serious problem. Like you i get bored at night and start drinking wine, but excessively :/ to the point of black out. Lately I've been becoming verbally abusive to my boyfriend who I adore. He filmed me blackout the other night and it was horrid! (Think dead eyed zombie girl) Then he broke up with me. Damn.
That's not the only thing that happened either, was missing class and work and everything was on a general decline, all due to my drinking.
As horrible as that was, I knew i had to get a grip on my life with or without him. So I drank one more night, and now I'm on day 2 sober.
But he came back last night as long as I promise to do my best, for him and myself. Which I said no problem to.
Maybe go to AA, I found that helped me a ton, it'll also give you something to do in the evenings and you can meet some new friends too.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great stuff Maggpie!! Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Hey Magpie, Welcome. I met you in chat this morning. We have tons of advice, and YOU CAN do it. I believe you can't make AA meetings, and that's OK; stick around here, join our chats & definetely our meetings, learn, develop your plan, work it, learn....All ODAT---One Day At A TIme. It's togh going, but we can get better.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

breath- exactly and I am going to keep checking in with the chat around 8-9 am eastern time every day. I removed all trace of booze in my house except for my husband's beer which I hid in the back of the fridge under other stuff so I am not tempted (I don't drink beer anyhow). and I am just taking this 1 hour a time, 1 day at a time. I am trying to get ideas bout what I am going to do tonight other than drinking. probably will do a card game or crossword puzzle. thanks for all of your suggestions and support goodluck to all
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, magg.

You know when you were in the military they had a routine, right?

Shower, dress, exercise, food at scheduled intervals, disciplined "chores," a scheduled lights out?

I think that is something all of us can use.

I do best when I get some exercise and eat well every day. I don't do well with artificial sweeteners, but I guess some people can use them without consequence.

Lights out for me is 9PM. I'm up at 5AM or earlier. I eat two large, balanced meals. Each day has chores. I spend time here.

I wish you luck establishing your healthy new routine.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Maggpie

Check out our Class of November support thread too - tons of support there
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-16.html

D
Old 11-24-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratualtions on your sobriety!

Thanks for checking in with us again.

Looking forward to seeing more from you.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making your wise decision to quit
Old 11-24-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maggpie666999 View Post
Hello all,
I am on my first day of being completely sober. I started drinking years ago and it got really bad a long time ago. During my military service it also seemed to get worse. I quit when i was pregnant with my son, but slowly started drinking liquor at night a few months after he was born. My night time habits have gotten kind of out of control and my spouse is sick of it and so am i. It is very difficult finding other things to do besides drinking at night after my kid goes to sleep. My husband is usually sober and i want to be like him instead of being the drunk. I get tired of my actions when i am drunk and i feel bad about myself and ashamed of my lack of control. But i am on day 1 and i want to take this one day at a time. I am going to stock up on nonalcoholic drinks so i am not tempted. I really want to make this work so i can do the things i have been putting off for so many years. I have been working on being a better person.

Regards,
Maggpie

Hi Magpie, similar to you I recently quit and when I did I spend a week reading through the site as much as I could. I tried to take all my learnings and build them into my personal plan as best I could. Of course this is very personal to me but maybe taking a similar approach may be useful to you. Having a clear detailed plan was something that members of the forum recommended to me and it seems to make sense to me.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5036014

I wish you the very best of good luck. This forum is an amazing resource and I wish I had found it earlier.