Notices

it all starts again... Day 1

Old 11-24-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

it all starts again... Day 1

So after drinking every night for the past year and a half and after several failed attempts I really want to quit.

Its starting to affect my day job which I have worked so long for, I'm letting family and friends down who don't know why and I'm simply tired of it.

Its the evenings that scare me, I live alone and find I get channeled into drinking for company. Sad isn't it?

I suppose I need a hobby to keep me occupied but I don't have the get up and go to find one. Doctors know I'm depressed and I'm on meds for that.

Not gone over 2 days sober in so long. Looking forward to seeing past it and hopefully onto happier times. Well here's hoping!
Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck rl and welcome to the forum. I am sure there are many that are here wiling to help. Feel free to unload here as you wish and maybe also help where you can.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was right there after a year and a half binge almost a year ago.

AA turned it all around for me.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

best of luck with this, i wish you nothing but strength and happiness.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Rl have you got a recovery plan my friend ?

if not i can send some links to help

Good luck bud
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Rl, good to meet you

There's tons of support here, post whenever you need to. There's lots of tips and info on dealing with cravings and plans for recovery.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Finding something to fill the void when you quit drinking is really important to staying sober. It's when I get a little bored that my addictive voice starts in on me. Good luck, it'll get easier as time goes on.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello rl. Welcome.

Drinking for company was my problem also when I was single and lived alone. I kept it up even after I got married and had a kid.

Your thoughts about a hobby are correct. You can't just sit around or you AV will nag until you give in. The only problem is that alcoholics tend to not be good at developing hobbies other than drinking.

I don't have any pithy advice other than just start trying a few things. If you try them honestly and openly one might stick. Also, don't give up. You can do this.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to see you this morning! Make a plan for those evenings. Join a gym, go to AA, join a theater group. Anything that will change the routine for you. Sparkly water and pomegranate juice is my special drink now.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this, plan your evenings, get a plan together and make it happen!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rl41 View Post
So after drinking every night for the past year and a half and after several failed attempts I really want to quit.

Its starting to affect my day job which I have worked so long for, I'm letting family and friends down who don't know why and I'm simply tired of it.

Its the evenings that scare me, I live alone and find I get channeled into drinking for company. Sad isn't it?

I suppose I need a hobby to keep me occupied but I don't have the get up and go to find one. Doctors know I'm depressed and I'm on meds for that.

Not gone over 2 days sober in so long. Looking forward to seeing past it and hopefully onto happier times. Well here's hoping!
I'm right there with ya, man. I coulda wrote this same post. Good luck!