Notices

so i went to the doctors today

Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so i went to the doctors today

hey all, so i joined yesterday and introduced myself. i woke up this morning and took all your advice and went to the doctors.

He told me i need to *cut-down*, and that it would be super bad for me to cold turkey (i think some of you said this). so hes got me on DIAZEPAM and Bernadine??? i want to stop drinking alcohol but what the ****, im not alloud to cold turkey and now ive gotta have drugs at the same time? BOY, am i confused as **** right now.

has anyone else had this advice givin to them by a doctor and ignored it? or would that just be stupid of me?.

thanks and good morning!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also forgot to mention I'm going to a drug and alcohol consultation on the 2nd of December. That's the first one avalable!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd either follow the directions given to you by your doctor, or, if you have concerns regarding the directions given, seek a second opinion from a different doctor. But, whatever you do, don't use your own self-defined plan. Not good.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you don't trust your drs advice, you can always get a second opinion from another dr.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i do trust it i just think its weird that im not alloud to cold turkey...
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting cold-turkey can be dangerous. When you are in a medical detox facility, most people are given Valium or something similar (and taper down) in order to minimize the discomfort and risk of things like seizure.

I personally never could "cut down" on my consumption. When alcohol hits my system, all my brain wants is more.

Wishing you the best...
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcohol detox can be deadly, Nathan. It is never recommended that we just abruptly stop drinking without medical assistance.
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was under the impression that meds were given to ease the symptoms of withdrawal and not to be taken while/if they were tapering down their alcohol consumption. I'd see another doctor.
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nathan first off congratulations for going to the doctor so quickly. We can't give you medical advice because it's against SR rules as we aren't doctors.

Look at it this way: when you've tried to get off booze to date, you've had tremors and problems. The doctor has prescribed medication which he believes will help you with these issues. Why not try it?

I imagine the doctor wants to see you again some time soon? When he said "cut down" did he advise what amount you should cut down to? I'd certainly be giving his advice a good try.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nathan91 View Post
I also forgot to mention I'm going to a drug and alcohol consultation on the 2nd of December. That's the first one avalable!
Now that's great news!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A friend of mine died trying to detox herself with only Gatorade. She had a grand mal seizure. I would just follow your doctors advice and do exactly what he suggested or do what Anna said and seek a second opinion. You will be in my prayers. Oh and welcome to SR. The people on here are amazingly caring!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad u went to the doctor! Great job! Mine gave me the same advice. Great job and stay strong
Old 11-23-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeah he said cut down to around 10 a day haha
Old 11-23-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Usually they give you the drugs to take instead wean you off the booze. Maybe that's what he meant by not going cold turkey.??? My doctor gave me the benzos to take so I wouldn't get withdrawals. Of course in my infinite wisdom I took the drugs and drank at the same time and really got messed up. Are you sure you got this straight?
You could always call to clarify the treatment. Second opinion doesn't hurt either.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yeah he said have some before bed and don't stop, and when i went to the pharmacist he said the same thing. also, he said if i get symptoms at work to have some, but its a pain working on a mine-site and having to declare that you're taking a drug that has the potential to cause a accident,
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

combining benzos and alcohol?

we cannot give medical advice, but i'd urge you to look for second opinion.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I would do as the doctor advised and do not try to second guess whether you should do things differently. If there's a question (as apparently there is) I would call to speak with the doctor ASAP, even if it's after hours. Detoxing from alcohol is said to be dangerous, better not to speculate. Of course a second opinion is always an option buy why not try and clear up any confusion with the first one first? Congratulations on going to the doctor and getting an appointment for a consultation. That's awseome!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion if you feel the first advice is a bit shady, Nathan

D
Old 11-23-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Nathan91!!!!!

Good for you man!!

P.s. Sounds like your doctor doesn't understand the severity of your addiction..
That or he's an idiot.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I saw my head shrink a few days ago and told her I went cold turkey. She told me I could have had a seizure or stroke. I didn't and am on day 20. I know that I could not taper off. I had to do it cold turkey. If you think you can taper, then go for it. If not, see a different doctor. Just my opinion. And I congratulate you for going to the doc. I should have because when I quit my blood pressure went through the roof. It is just now starting to be normal again.