Notices

so i went to the doctors today

Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done for going to the doc, Nathan. I guess the advice a doc gives you depends on how much you drink. I would just do as he says. If you are not sure that you can taper go back and see him, or see another doc.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serious View Post
combining benzos and alcohol?

we cannot give medical advice, but i'd urge you to look for second opinion.

I agree with this. I'm hoping he meant take the benzos instead of the alcohol. Combining the two worries me.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nathan.. good on you for going to the doctor. Here's a link I think you should read:

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/61-66.pdf

I have always been advised to taper off prior to a fixed date when you begin your detox. I've never been given benzos prior to the date of detox though, so I'd look into that. Google it, arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can. Find good, reputable sources though, there is a lot of crap out there too. I've detoxed with medical supervision a few times now, and each time it took at least 3 weeks to a month to get it started. I think most places are pretty busy, seems there are a lot of us out there! I was devastated the first time I found out I couldn't do it straight away, so you just have to hang in there.

The link I have sent you is excellent. All the best, take care and let us know how you go.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Assuming it hasn't been axed you could always ask for advice here :

13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) is a 24/7 phone service for all Queenslanders seeking advice about their health or information about health services. For the cost of a local call, registered nurses provide health information and referral services.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think it is important that are 100% committed to the course of action you take otherwise you are too vulnerable to relapse. If you feel comfortable in your doctor's device enough to ensure that you can follow it with confidence then follow it otherwise seek a second opinion. Your doctor's advice is probably sound (I am in no position to tell either way) but what matters is that you feel confident enough to commit to following it. Don't do a half way house kind of approach where you follow it with a lack of conviction because you AV will just eat you for breakfast.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

yeah that was a pretty decent read topendchick, thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hey nathan! make sure you call today and ask a nurse how long it takes for the medicine to get into your system, so that you can quit drinking. I saw a post about cutting down to 10 a day. I really hope he was joking. The medicine is pointless drinking that much. My doctor gave me a specific time frame. But, that was for me. Everyone is different. Please call and ask specifically when to totally stop.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No worries. It's a heavy read, but those guys really know their stuff. Just want you to appreciate the seriousness of possible implications of going cold turkey at your level of consumption. Really happy for you that you have taken the first step of telling a doctor about it. This is where you start, find some hope and solace in that and all of us here will be here to support you. Knowledge is power, so find out as much as you can about alcoholism, withdrawals, recovery, cravings, the lot. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hey okla, i beleive he cut me down to 10 just until i go to my alcohol consultation as they're out of town. hey 10 is better than 24 a day,everyday,even after work. but yes i will call tomorrow and follow thru with all advice giving here, ill go get a second opinion on thursday from another doctor also
Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My personal exp. with benzo's for detox was I usually drank on them and that caused a lot of black-out-time and injury. Once, I did make it to the end of the 10 day bottle, (tapering because benzo withdrawal is worse than alcohol), I drank within 24 hrs. The WD's were that bad. I would try another doc. Any MD that gives benzo's to an active alcoholic should be charged in a court of law. JM2cents. I did taper off alcohol with alcohol and had almost zero WD ( I drank a fifth+ all day every day). Whatever it takes. Best wishes.