Notices

The five elements...

Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The five elements...

Today at the gym it occurred to me that, for me, there are five elements to recovery.

I mean beyond just 'not drinking'.

Even beyond 'the steps'.

Both of these are of course critical, but day to day when I look at what recovery is for me, I see an important balance of;

Physical
Emotional
Mental
Spiritual
Creative

When I am actively focused on having good balance in these things, it positively impacts my life, my relationships, my overall wellness and most of all; my recovery.

For me, it's not just about going to meetings and coming here and working the steps and not drinking. Those are definitely foundations. But I believe that in addition to those basic actions, my richness of life and my sobriety depend on the balance and nurturing of these elements.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good for you FO congrats
Old 11-23-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good thoughts.

Bunnez
Old 11-23-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Ur right with what I posted thanks for reminding me xx
Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FreeOwl, I really agree with this... I watched the little animation video someone had posted a link to today about addiction, and one of the things it said is that we are people who are "bored" easily. I was thinking about this --- how I have always been an overachiever, and I get bored easily, and how drinking was a way for me just to "check-out" for a bit... of course, it was never that simple...

But, I was thinking of all I had accomplished today - baking, cleaning, laundry, art projects, etc, and about how not being "bored" is so important for me.

I think this is something that is often overlooked - at least for me, in my attempts to get sober, it seems to have been.... I guess the physical and emotional parts are so critical - that is where the focus has been.

I plan to think more about this - and ways I can keep balanced in my creativity. I believe cooking is where I will start since it is now the Holiday season! Great thing to do, make lots of cute goodies to give away!
Old 11-23-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting FreeOwl. I think it's really imporant to remember recovery isn't about just not drinking. I know I won't be able to sustain sobriety if I'm not working on the rest of me.