Notices

Festivities

Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Festivities

Today is my 1st month sober. I feel great and the sleep is awesome, I know because I been having vivid dreams again and I wake up feeling so refreshed and excited for the day.
So why do I keep thinking about drinking for Thanksgiving? Why does my AV keep telling me how much more fun I could have if I were to make some fancy drinks or have a couple beers while I'm cooking and I should pop open the bubbly over dinner? ugh. I know I will feel like crap if I do! But I keep hearing that it wouldn’t hurt to have a couple JUST on Thanksgiving and just go back to not drinking the next day. I feel like I really want to but I know if I didn’t I would feel victorious and that is a wonderful feeling. Anyhow I will dismiss the idea of Thanksgiving for now and just focus on not drinking today.
Marching forward.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There will always be festivities. Old habits don't die without a fight.

It's just another opportunity for success.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 1 month sober meshelly this is fantastic news

try this surviving thanksgiving link Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

I got it from D while looking for another link from D

Congrats again meshelly
Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Meshelly,
Congrats on a month, thats brilliant.

That little voice is very annoying isn't it? But I've found that it loses much of its power if I recognise it for what it is. The voice argues that big events such as birthdays etc seem as if they would benefit so much if I could drink just for that day etc etc. Its when I give it any credit at all that things can begin to spiral downwards. Since I stopped drinking life is immeasurably better. And I really want it to stay that way! So the voice can chatter away for all its worth - meanwhile I will get on with living. Good luck
Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Congrats on the month milestone! Just think about how bad of a hangover you will have the next day, would it be worth it to have a pounding head and stay in bed all day? You got this! Just ignore the AV with everything you have. Best wishes.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month sober! That's great! I think everyone finds their first holiday, Christmas, Birthday, etc difficult after stopping drinking. It will get easier and every time you get through one of these events with your sobriety in tact you will get stronger. That's what i have found anyway. Keep up the great work!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice, but I can completely relate to your post. Congratulations on a whole month, that's just amazing!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice, but I can completely relate to your post. Congratulations on a whole month, that's just amazing!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meshelly View Post
But I keep hearing that it wouldn’t hurt to have a couple JUST on Thanksgiving and just go back to not drinking the next day.
Who's doing the talking? If it's your addictive mind that is ADDICTED, is that really a great reputable source to be trusting?

For me there was never a few or one, it was always a bottle and a few days binge, festivals will come and go, and I assure you alcohol is not required to have a great fun time!!

It's a myth!!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Best to save all tummy room for stuffing and gravy:-) The av tries to get its foot in the door, then the next day or week when you're feelin crappy it just has to say "screw it, you drank last night!" Holidays are better sober, trust me.
-Ted
Old 11-23-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month! I am also fearing the holidays. I can't wait until January 2nd tbh. I wish I could sleep through them.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Agree with Purpleknight: you have there what they call in my business an unreliable narrator.

Yet, that narrator can be pretty convincing. Personally, I've drawn up a holiday plan so that I don't have to think on the spot about what I'll do. It includes some pretty yummy, festive non-alcoholic drinks. My current favorite is Sparkling Blood Orange soda, club soda and a splash of diet tonic.