Notices

courage to take picture

Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

courage to take picture

Hi all I'm on day 6 today! Haven't had any urges, now that's different. But I did have the urge and the courage to take a picture of myself tonight. Thought I would start a visual journal just some extra incentive. I look horrible! I'm sure that is to be expexted after 10 years of heavy drinking, but I'm also 51 yo. but a year ago I looked pretty darn hot. I compared pics from last year. Now my questions are is this my age turning on me or the drink? Is it possible for the drink to sneak up on me all at once? Like Boom! Wouldn't I've seen this gradually happening since the amount I drank over the last several years had not changed? And BTW I don't know why I'm being vain all of a sudden, but I'm going to use it for good: another reason to stop the madness, although its my mental health and soul being broken down that really brought about the strongest desire I've ever have had to stop. BTW how long does it take to see improvement or should I not worry about it and just focus on not drinking?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm very early in my recovery, so I can't speak to the long-term results of sobriety. However, I can tell you that my drinking damaged my appearance over the course of about 4 years. It was gradual, but very significant. I'm taking pictures too.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days! I think starting a visual journal sounds like an excellent idea! I may start one myself...
As far as changes go, I noticed a difference in my hair and skin within a week. And it all just keeps getting better. Best wishes!
Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lots of things change in late forties and throughout fifties due to hormones. so i "improved" in some ways i looked, but not in others
Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't focus on "not drinking", focus on "living sober".

I think I started to feel better after a few weeks but really started feeling more grounded when I got six months. The cravings were almost gone and I felt better than I'd felt in a long time.

Treat yourself well with good food, exercise, and rest. It will get better.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took a picture of myself after I put down my last drink, and again the next morning when I was going to work. I wanted the visual reminder for what I was feeling at that point. A week later, I took another , and the difference is staggering.
Congrats on 6 days!!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Don't focus on "not drinking", focus on "living sober"
Love it. Totally agree.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thx least! That's what I'm gonna do...not going to have a pity party over the pic. 6 days ago I would of used my bad looks as an excuse to pic up the very thing that is the main culprit. Darn...things r going to work out!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hey Mistory, I'm 52, and all of us age, but we can still look healthy and our best. I'm on day 43 now, and I can tell you, I do look a lot better, no bloat, no redness, my face looks a lot better, healthier. Friends have commented on my weight loss, so it must be true !!

I didn't think to take photos, that is a good idea. x
Old 11-23-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

The toll that drunkenness takes on your appearance gets worse as you age, which is why 20yos seem impervious to harm.

Your body will heal progressively the longer you stay sober, and good eating and exercise will help. Looking forward to the 12 month sober photo?
Old 11-23-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A photo a day in recovery!!

What a cool idea. I've never seen that done but it sure would be a powerful thing. I wish I'd thought of that!

Keep it up. It might just become the next big viral video on the Internet and reach a lot of people who still suffer, with a message of hope!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on the 6 days mistory your doing great

I was getting comments on looking healthier after a month
Old 11-23-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

your skin will deffinetly start looking better, alcohol messes up the way your brain controls capillary dialation, basicly your blood vessels start staying full open, hence the reason many alcoholics have red faces, theres a whole slew of other effects like your body can't matabolize b vitamins nor iron properly which affect your apperance , you can read all about it online

To be honest though there are much better reasons to stay sober then just looking good
Old 11-23-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad I read this post. I'm back and on day 1. I am going to take some pictures!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
Hi all I'm on day 6 today! Haven't had any urges, now that's different. But I did have the urge and the courage to take a picture of myself tonight. Thought I would start a visual journal just some extra incentive. I look horrible! I'm sure that is to be expexted after 10 years of heavy drinking, but I'm also 51 yo. but a year ago I looked pretty darn hot. I compared pics from last year. Now my questions are is this my age turning on me or the drink? Is it possible for the drink to sneak up on me all at once? Like Boom! Wouldn't I've seen this gradually happening since the amount I drank over the last several years had not changed? And BTW I don't know why I'm being vain all of a sudden, but I'm going to use it for good: another reason to stop the madness, although its my mental health and soul being broken down that really brought about the strongest desire I've ever have had to stop. BTW how long does it take to see improvement or should I not worry about it and just focus on not drinking?
Great job on getting to day 6! Upon reading this, you'll be at a week!!!!
THAT is outstanding!!!

You're appearance will rebound, certainly. The drink does take it's toll on outward looks. The first thing I noticed about myself and others with some sobriety, is the light in the eyes is turned back on - like replacing a dimming bulb......

Thanks for being part of our SR community!! Can't wait to hear more!
FlyN
Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
Hey Mistory, I'm 52, and all of us age, but we can still look healthy and our best. I'm on day 43 now, and I can tell you, I do look a lot better, no bloat, no redness, my face looks a lot better, healthier. Friends have commented on my weight loss, so it must be true !!

I didn't think to take photos, that is a good idea. x
Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
The toll that drunkenness takes on your appearance gets worse as you age, which is why 20yos seem impervious to harm.

Your body will heal progressively the longer you stay sober, and good eating and exercise will help. Looking forward to the 12 month sober photo?
I am looking forward to the 1 yr photo, but don't want to overwhelm myself. I have to be very careful of my thoughts right now. My way of thinking has typically been negative so if I think to far ahead on my appearance I probably will turn it into a negative = drinking. Trying to get a grip on my emotions and thinking right now more so than the outside. Thx for the encouragement. Congratulations on your 43 days!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Even if our bodies and physical appearance don't change very much....

It's incredible how much better what we see in the mirror becomes.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This may or may not be relevant to you. I used to hate having pictures taken of me, not only during my bad drinking times but in general, in my whole life. Just never liked the way I looked in any moment or very rarely, some moments worse than others. I've figured that in my case this is often a sort of delusional perception, "body dysmorphic disorder" as they call it. Just never good enough, no matter the reality. Very often I would look at the same pics later (months, years) and then I actually like them and find them attractive, I think because the anxiety and dissatisfaction of the moment is gone.

Of course it can be aging, or the effects of alcohol also. Objective changes. If tracking the transformation of your appearance appeals to you, take pics over a longer period of time and look at them at different times, see what happens. I think most people find lots of positive changes in their appearance after getting sober, aging or not. Probably at least in part this is also coming from the inner transformation of our soul, that we learn to like our sober selves better and as a consequence, we are able to see our physical being in a different way.