Notices

Maybe I Just Need a Laugh....

Old 11-22-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You are doing awesome Nuu. I think I posted about recovery fatigue and being sick of being sick. Can't remember when but I was past the worst. I was concerned I was spending so much time on here but it didn't matter what I did it was always on my mind. I needed that. My brain was making some amazing changes and it takes time. About the only thing I could do to take my mind off it was a movie or binge watching Hoarders. Too bad Netflix doesn't have AbFab.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Until I thought to myself...really????Don't you ever get sick of trying to fix yourself there honeybunch?????
Amen. The key is to find balance in your life between work, play, recovery and whatever else you have going.
Why don't you just spend the rest of the week end playing hooky?
Maybe go to the movies this evening?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EndGame

I think we all need a break from everything in our lives, whether or not they give us pleasure, are healthy or that simply begin to annoy us. It's when we don't come back from the break that things tend to go sideways.

You've also been here before, and I imagine that is playing a role in your discontent.

The only thing I can't take a break from is staying sober. Everything else is fair game.

Or, maybe you do need to get...
Old 11-22-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're perfect as you are
nuu
Old 11-22-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Originally Posted by JimdiGriz View Post
You're perfect as you are
nuu

Yes ,you are x
Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
"Alan, Alan, Alan, Alan"...oh man...thank you Trach.
My heart thanks you....deeply.

And thanks all.
Maybe I just need to get....

Never mind
Mwah! Hope you laughed till your mascara ran!
Old 11-22-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Nuudawn! What EndGameNYC said.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Or, maybe you do need to get...
Lol.

No!

Hey Nuu.xx don't make "being in recovery" your new addiction! like a few others have said, timeout is ok, you know that - just as long as you have your support tools at the ready. And some daily commitment. (Like just posting / reading here.)

I can only speak for me, but there's been no magic checklist, and I've had to adapt my tools along the way. Alcoholism tends to eat at our confidence, I had a pervading sense of, "am I doing this right", or, "if I don't do this the right way I will fail", for a long time.

I noticed over time, that my thought patterns from drinking were now wired for angst, feelings of failure.....and shame.

When I relaxed and kind of stopped beating myself up, and thought, "oh here I go, I'm pissed off (feeling shameful etc) because my brain has been hard wired that way"....I'd step back and say "be damned", I'm going to grow new pathways in my brain that think good thoughts, not default to my bad, drinking mode of thinking.

I'd say it's taken a good 4 months for that process to reap tangible benefits, but the reasoning part of my brain when stressed has really grown some "healthy thinking" "muscles".

Anyways...your brain is renewing, maybe start putting those knee-jerk thought processes to the test and start challenging them by not giving them air-time to grow/keep you in a negative pattern.

Hugs for today, and be gentle on yourself.xx
Old 11-22-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I picked out some colored pencils and printed several mystical mandalas for some meditative grown-up coloring. I got bored after a few of them

Nuu, I am starting to think nothing is inherently wrong or effed up about us. I think its conditioning and warped, delusional perception. And maybe the lack of patience and self-compassion, and self-acceptance that weighs us down and pressures us to constantly work on ourselves and change.

When I get stuck in a rut it helps to break habit, break routine, do something unusual, something brave
Old 11-22-2014, 11:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Mwah! Hope you laughed till your mascara ran!
I just watched the damn thing again..and yes, laughed again!

Groundhog Day! Groundhog Day! Groundhog Day! Groundhog Day!
Or is that Steve? (nice to see you back here friend!!!!)

Jennie...lack of patience, self acceptance and self compassion? Think you're onto something there...
Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Too bad Netflix doesn't have AbFab.
I know!!!! I could spend tomorrow with some pop tarts and Dorito's and have me a marathon.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

There are seven seasons on Youtube.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You asked for it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfmM06pVUw

Love ya, Nu. Hoping today is a better day filled with more laughter than yesterday.

Xoxo
Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello, Nuudawn,

I really feel for you. It must be quite the transition for you, but you are brave.
You know, I was thinking about you the other day. I've been going thru a horrible time and just wanted to throw in the towel, and at a restaurant, alone, I thought about ordering wine, then your story of what happened when you were in similar circumstances came to mind, so dear girl, you helped me and I'm still battling away, and hoping for the best.
You're a lovely warm, funny woman, please try and be good to yourself.
Hugs to you.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

It could be partly the time of year. I'm still way up north in the Great White North as well, the days are getting incredibly short, winter is starting to wear it's ugly head, but still hasn't made it's presence felt completely yet. And then there are the holidays looming ahead, an time of year that recovering alcoholics just love.

The best advice I can give you is this: things get easier with time and after a little while life becomes less about managing your recovery all the time and more about just managing life all the time. Living life on life's terms I guess is the cliche. I happen to like cliches

And BTW, I tried reading that Eckhard Tolle book after my therapist recommended it, yeesh, got about two chapters in before realizing that it most def wasn't for me (Me putting on my most diplomatic SR hat ).