Notices

Four days and counting.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four days and counting.

Hi all! I've been back and forth to and from sober recovery since 2009. A lot of things have changed, except for the fact that I can't seem to stay away from the drink (for long.)
I'm not going to go on a long rant about my history with it, I'm just going to explain recently and ask a few questions.
I haven't drank since Tuesday evening. I've been sober since November 19th. I visited a doctor yesterday, and he prescribed Valium after asking me a few questions and checking me over. I took one last night and it seemed to make the anxiety fade. The anxiety peaks with hangovers, I wasn't having anxiety due to a hangover yesterday, more so just stress!
Anyhow, I attended my first AA meeting in a couple of years this morning. It was an all women's meeting which was a first for me. There were only seven women there, which I found pretty nice.
I've heard that over time I will learn how to curb cravings, and how to keep the drinking at bay. How on earth do I curb cravings when they hit? Where should I start? I have a contact list from the women in this morning's group. I've been craving since the meeting this morning. My doctor told me to take a valium when I start to crave, so I am guessing that's what I'll do (I know I'm not supposed to ask for medical advice, so I'm not going to!)
I would just like to know some tips on kicking the craving to the curb, and what I should do next.

Just so you know, I can't "just go to a meeting." I have a 1-year old daughter and there are only a few people who can watch her. There's no one to watch her this afternoon. There'll be someone to watch her at around 6:00 though.

Thank you all!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Linz, Well done on day 4 keep on going

Congrats again
Old 11-22-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Linz- Congrats on the four days!
I would just like to know some tips on kicking the craving to the curb, and what I should do next.
I can only tell you what I did, and still do. I really never had cravings per se, but I did have the strong desire to drink. I guess you can say that I craved the buzz.

I think it's really important to get out and do something, rather than to just sit there and crave. I did see that you have a young daughter, so that might make things a bit trickier, but still doable. Have you considered perhaps some outside activities? Maybe something like a run, using one of those fitness trollers?

Whatever the case, I think it's very important to do something and have a routine. As more time passes I think you'll find other activities and interests and the drinking will become more of a memory. At least I hope so, as I'm still learning this sober stuff.

Stay strong-

Lusher

PS- Please be mindful of the diazepam / valium. You don't need another battle to overcome that, should it become a problem. It did for me a few years ago, and it ain't no fun.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you seen this link befoe Linz?
Some good craving suggestions there:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Congrats on day 4

D
Old 11-22-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you seen this link before Linz?
Some good craving suggestions there:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Congrats on day 4

D
Old 11-22-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Linz, great to have you on board. Well done on four days sober

I had phsyical cravings for the first week, but I just distracted myself with other things, mostly posting on here. I ate a lot and drink lots of water and tea.

The desire to drink is a more subtle urge though and I handle that by reminding myself why I got sober in the first place and watch out for my own mind trying to persuade me that it is ok to drink, to just have one.

There are lots of tips on this site too and if you read around there are plenty of experiences here talking about cravings.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you Linz. Stay with us and keep posting. Four days is wonderful.