Notices
View Poll Results: Should I rescue a dog?
Yes
46.88%
No
53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Newly Sober; Adopt a dog?

Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I adopted a 9-10 month old Beagle at the end of July. Oh boy, was that a learning experience The puppy had BOUNDLESS energy and loved chewing. A month later, after I'd recovered from the shock of it all, I adopted an 8 year old Beagle. Two Beagle sisters who adore each other now. I love them so much. My husband and I can't believe we have two dogs running around our house, and also can't imagine our life without them. Our four cats have adapted well

Go for it if you know the breed, the commitment required, the finances, and above all... have the time for it.

We ended up spending way more money than we'd imagined, one virus and one car accident already... before we'd had her three months!! She's just recovered from the accident and went on her first leashed walk today in over 8 weeks. She was so thrilled.

They are little money pits And they bark
Old 11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I vote yes if you can afford the cost and time commitment. I live alone and I have 3 dogs. I can't imagine my life without them. But I walk them for at least an hour every morning and they are rarely home alone for more than 4 hours. I also have a doggie door so they can go outside. One is 8 months and I take her to obedience training class, as I have taken the other 2. I make their well-being a priority and they give me so much love and joy in return.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Chilly I felt unsure with your OP but, based on your second post, I would say "yes, go for it'. I'm a dog (and cat) person too, Marcher Dog is our first non-rescue and the first dog I've ever had as a puppy. Like SoberJennie I found out puppy energy is boundless.

I think, given your circumstances and wishes, that a rescue dog would be great for you and the dog. I wish you years of happiness together.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
http://www.legacyfreedom.com/

when you get sober you need to get on a schedule and get a routine. Having a dog can be a great recovery tool if you're well enough and responsible enough to take care of another living being. I say go for it.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I adopted an adult 4 year old dog when i was sober 4 months. He has kept me from sliding back in the hole many times, i consider him like a child and deserves the best of care. ( i also have 5 cats).
Dogs need to be walked, i need exercise, in good weather it gives you purpose to get out of the house, something to care about and my dog always is happy to see me.
Be careful what you are adopting and know the breed or mix.
Poms have a throat thing that makes them barf when excited, i now own stock in Bounty paper towels.
Ingesting fat almost killed my dog when he got into my trash, meat trimmings while i went to the bathroom, pancreatitis. Sammy has also eaten my underwear ( i know tmi).
Doxies too like garbage.
Good luck and your donation/ adoption fee is tax deductible as a charitable donation.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think it might be very therapeutic; but highly dependent on the specific individual.
If the individual is stable enough in recovery and has the time to devote
to their dog(s), I vote yes.
I voted no for myself. My work schedule would leave little time for a dog.
Not fair.
Thus, I keep a menagerie of arachnids. They need very little attention.
It's also pretty interesting to raise a 1/2" spider into an 8" tarantula.
Some folks say I'm nuts and they're not "real" pets. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GBB0914A!.JPG (76.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I already had my dog before getting sober, but Chippewa is good at sensing my moods and when I need the affection she is right there on the couch with me. She kept me alive during the last 4 years of my drinking as being a rottweiler if i was to end it all she would have most likely been put down. She goes to work with me everyday and yells at people not working... Pretty funny actually, She also lays by the ladies in the shop most of the day cause she knows they are suckers and will give her treats.

I probably would not have gotten sober if she was not in the picture as I was really at my end. Really could not bare the thought of what would happen to her if I wasn't around. I did not get sober for her, but also i am sober today as a direct result of her.

This being said, a companion for the lonely can be a life saver! Just remember that you become it's higher power, your actions directly affect your companion, going back out and using can be a death sentence for the pet also.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

In all honesty,I think my pup helped me get through some pretty tough times.....so yes.